+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool I'm Severely depressed and addicted to concealers

Well I am 18 and have been losing my hair noticeably since 15. My father was bald and wore a piece (passed when I was 12). I have been on fin since turning 17 and minox since 16. My hair is so bad i have to use a concealer and can only keep it kind of buzzed. I honestly hate my life. I have never had a girlfriend or even kissed a girl. I am a good looking guy or atleast fit, I will be playing basketball next year in college. The only thing I ever can look forward too in life is basketball. I am always in a worry and it really sucks losing your hair at such a young age.

I have been using toppik for a good 2 months now and with fin and mino my hairlines getting worse. With hair I was a good looking kid and very confident, now its beginning to affect everything I do. I used to never go to school because of my hair. I did try shaving my head and no one gave me any confidence, it was always bro you look like a nazi or a Holocaust victim. Not even my friends helped me. I now have no close friends and only basketball.

There are times I wish to just die because of hair loss, it is sad but I wouldn't do it too scary. I literally just wish to either wake up with hair like all my friends or not wake up at all. Somehow I just muster up the strength to get on with my life and journey on.

My one piece of advice when it comes to this struggle is to pick something you love and continue at doing it; That way you don't have to worry about your hair loss as much.

It sucks to hear what you're going through. Keep your head up. It's all about confidence. You just need to say who cares that you're balding. It's easier said than done, but it will make you happier and people will respond positively to that confidence. You're going to be a college athlete in a major sport. Not a lot of people can say that. Take pride in that achievement. Having that confidence will help you get a girl. Just let it happen and be open to trying. My cousin was a NW7 by his So year in college, yet he still was able to get girls.

There's more to life than hair. We all know that. It's just hard to accept hair loss. Suicide isn't an option though. It only hurts those who love you, and depending on your beliefs, may hurt you more than you can imagine.

Who knows, if things in the next couple of years continue to progress hair loss may no longer be a serious problem.

Your going to be a college basketball player..you should have no problem with the ladies when that time comes around buddy. Keep your head up..your not the only one im 19 and struggling too. My advice to you is never try to hide it in college because you just set yourself up for more embarrassment and ridicule. Just shave your head and be the best player on that team and im sure ull get that girlfriend your looking for.

Sorry to hear what your going through. The good news here is that your only 18. I personally believe there will be a viable treatment within the next few years. Giving you most of your twenties to enjoy.

i'd suggest that u stop using concealers. they are part of the problem. spending all the time each morning putting damn thing on and then worrying all day whether people know, makes it even harder to accept hairloss and lead a normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by ravegrover View Post
    i'd suggest that u stop using concealers. they are part of the problem. spending all the time each morning putting damn thing on and then worrying all day whether people know, makes it even harder to accept hairloss and lead a normal life.
    That's so true, I used it once on my ride side hairline and I felt really depress and fake. Just shave it off bro, Keep your head up, and deal with it. I know its tough but stop looking at yourself in mirror for more then 5 seconds.

I agree with what the guys are saying here. Ditch the concealers. I tried them once before and it made me feel like an absolute fraud. Never will I use them again. I could also never wear wigs.

Hell I won't ever even wear a cap for fear of becoming dependent on it. I don't like balding but I'm not going to hide it either.

The thing with shaving the head can be the lack of colour on top which looks unhealthy. That changes quickly enough and you can speed the process up with a few tanning sessions if needs be but exercise caution.

Don't worry about the opposite sex either. I know a guy who is quite overweight and almost slick bald yet he's engaged to one of the hottest girls I've ever seen. As you get older you'll realise that looks matter less, particularly hairloss.

Control what you can control and try not to worry about the rest. I fail at this quite a bit but I do try. Make sure you exercise and stay in good shape. Work hard on the court and on your studies. Good things will happen.

Try not to give a $hit. I suck at this too but I tell myself this all the time. I know it's extra tough when you're only 18 but it sounds like you have so much going for you so remember that. Last of all do what you enjoy.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    I agree with what the guys are saying here. Ditch the concealers. I tried them once before and it made me feel like an absolute fraud. Never will I use them again. I could also never wear wigs.

Hell I won't ever even wear a cap for fear of becoming dependent on it. I don't like balding but I'm not going to hide it either.

The thing with shaving the head can be the lack of colour on top which looks unhealthy. That changes quickly enough and you can speed the process up with a few tanning sessions if needs be but exercise caution.

Don't worry about the opposite sex either. I know a guy who is quite overweight and almost slick bald yet he's engaged to one of the hottest girls I've ever seen. As you get older you'll realise that looks matter less, particularly hairloss.

Control what you can control and try not to worry about the rest. I fail at this quite a bit but I do try. Make sure you exercise and stay in good shape. Work hard on the court and on your studies. Good things will happen.

Try not to give a $hit. I suck at this too but I tell myself this all the time. I know it's extra tough when you're only 18 but it sounds like you have so much going for you so remember that. Last of all do what you enjoy.

All the best.
    Very sound advice! You've got your whole life ahead of you and if you are strong enough to overcome hair loss at a young age you will be ready for anything in life. I'm telling you it gets much easier!

I want to thank all you guys for your advice. I did end up shaving it off and its relieving. Im done with the bs routine and feel a lot better. I did already get a couple looks at school today taking my placements so maybe this will work for me. Again thanks for all the helpful feedback.

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

Brian, I and many others here are concerned for you.
    First of all i want to say this, this hair loss issue will be a short lived issue for you BECAUSE you ARE 18. You and others your age will be the biggest beneficiaries when it comes to hair treatment/regeneration/recovery.
    For younger people especially, any major issues in life can feel like an eternity. My friend , once you've acquired some wisdom in life by way of LIVING you will understand this. For example ,one day in the future you will look back on your life and things that had happened 20 years ago will seem like it happened only 'yesterday'. That being said, there WILL be a time in which you'll look in the mirror and hair LOSS will not be a concern. (and im not saying it will take 20 years, i feel confident that something is on the horizon)
    You said something in your opening statement-
    "... when it comes to this struggle is to pick something you love and continue at doing it.." -perfectly said.
    Do whatever it takes to 'get by' until a treatment is available .
    DO NOT ALLOW depression to take hold of you because of this relatively short problem in your life.
    Is it possible that you might post photos of only your hair here?
    WE can give you our honest opinions.
    The saying "we are our own worst critics" is so true. Your hairloss may not be so bad at this time. Trust us . Spencer started this fantastic forum for EXACTLY this type of issue. Hang in there Brian your among friends here. (IGNORE the never-ending pessimism you may see here)