+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The scabbing and outward signs of the procedure should well be gone after two months. It is always possible to experience some lingering redness, however it is rare, and post-op treatments are also discussed in this thread.

How many grafts will you be doing?
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Hi thanks for the reply.

After years of research I've decided on FUE. I need approx 2000 grafts in the frontal areas. I'm from the uk and have narrowed my research down to iether Dr Feriduni or Dr Bisanga both in Belguim and highly regarded in Europe.

I'm going with the idea of taking 2 months unpaid leave. Firstly have the HT then if time allows after the initial healing do a bit of travelling. I planned to shave my head a month prior to going on leave, then keep it shaved a few months after my return to work, before then letting it slowly come through. Or depending how it looks let it grow back sufficient prior to my return.

That's why the reddening concerned me, I thought two months should be more than enough but wasn't sure.

Do you think you could get only with 4 weeks off work, or maybe 6?

Hope this helps. In my opinion 6 weeks is a very good "downtime" window however good to have more time at your disposal IF needed. Rather have the extra time and not need it, than need it and not have it..

Handy daily updated FUE healing process 1032 FUE:

Imed post op

Day2:

Day3:

Day4:

Day5:

Day7:

Day 14:

Donor area:
    Imed post op:

Day2:

Day3:

Day4:

Day5:

Day14:
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Down time!

A very common question associated with getting a HT and one of the most common reasons for not getting a ht sooner in many cases. Many guys know which Doc they are going with after much research but then need to wait months, sometime years to get an appropriate window of "Down time" in order to pull the HT off unnoticed by family, friends, work colleagues etc...Down time is a pain in arse - NO DOUBT!!!

Downtime is definitely an element of the whole HT procedure you need to consider when embarking on your HT journey.

Depending on the size of the session obviously some patients down time is less than others: ie smaller sessions can get away with a shorter down time period compared to larger session sizes.

Healing is only half the battle - Many guys heal up with no real evidence of surgery in as little as 10 days and some can still have lingering redness for quite a prolonged periods of time - especially fair skinned patients. There is also the factor of having to have the recipient / donor areas shaved down.

The answer to the question of "how much down time do i need?" is an impossible one to answer but i recommend that you give yourself as much time as possible - a MINIMUM of 3-4 weeks ideally 5-6 (especially larger sessions.) If you can wear a hat to work then you are laughing and could literally be back to work within days if you wanted to but for the vast majority wearing a hat at work is not an option and the appropriate amount of downtime post op needs to be considered!

I have received a number of sessions over the years and never once have i been able to back at work within 2 weeks and i know all the tricks - Some are below, please feel free to add any handy minimising "down time" hints.

1. Apply Aloe Vera gel, Emu oil, distilled witch hazel etc.. to the healing areas to help soothe and speed up healing process.
    2. Take MSM (3000mg) to speed up the existing hairs growth since the buzz to get some length back to help disguise.
    3. Use concealers in areas once hair is long enough to help bulk up and disguise lingering redness.
    4. Wearing a hat to buy you valuable days.
    5. Growing hair long pre op to help disguise areas worked on.
    6. Buzz hair short pre op in advance so people you see on a day to day basis don't notice the new buzz cut post op.(Especially FUE guys)
    7. Take a holiday post op and take yourself out the loop for 3-4 weeks
    8. Take sick leave right before your holiday comes to a close - buy you valuable days

Hope all this info helps guys out.

Regards
    Spex
    Last edited by Spex; 04-16-2013 at 02:15 PM.

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

Hi thanks for the reply, there's some really useful information there. So 2 months is good then yeah. Obviously need to weigh up having money saved to cover the time I'm off. I'll maybe try to take more time if I can in that case, like you said it's better to have it available incase you need it rather than need it and be due back at work.

Thank you very much for your help

No worries. All the best.
    Regards
    Spex

HELP! I'm losing sleep over this. I just had a FUT hair transplant about 40 days ago and have the same issue you have, same skin tone roughly, in the picture. How long did it take for the redness to be essentially unnoticeable. Is it normal for the skin to be cobblestoned and rough still? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnytr View Post
    Any chance you can post pictures of your scalp ?

The condition i am on about can be seen in these pictures.

38 days post HT

bhallic24, I'm 60 days post op and I still have some redness on the scalp. I'm not worried. It's far less red than before and most of the cobblestoning has improved. I'd say it's 20% better than 3 weeks ago and 70% better than the first week. The redness will probably last til about week 12-15 (at least for me).

Quote Originally Posted by CaliD View Post
    bhallic24, I'm 60 days post op and I still have some redness on the scalp. I'm not worried. It's far less red than before and most of the cobblestoning has improved. I'd say it's 20% better than 3 weeks ago and 70% better than the first week. The redness will probably last til about week 12-15 (at least for me).
    Thanks CaliD for the reply. I guess my main concern is that over the last 2-3 weeks, I haven't seen any noticeable improvement in the color fade. it's still salmon color and rough. I might send you an image when I get a chance. Any reports of people with PERMANENT redness after FUT?

I'm certainly no expert but I haven't personally seen any permanent redness on anyone that I know of. I have however read online about some people who had redness (or pink really) all the way til month 8 or 9. In certain overhead light my head seems fully cleared up but under other light it still looks pinkish. Hopefully it will heal without me even noticing it once the hair starts growing in. I wouldn't worry about it but you should definitely be able to follow up with your doctor if you're concerned.