+ Reply to Thread

Default Before/After Pics - All Natural Treatment

Hey all.

I've posted a few topics about my use of Saw Palmetto and Biotin to combat hair loss. I'm gonna try to keep my story short this time.
    For the original topic I made about SP and Biotin and the results I've noticed: http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8981

Most all men in my family have hair loss, but none have had any crown loss. My dad, who I take after in pretty much all other physical traits, is an early NW3 (strong forelock), and has been since his mid 20's. He's now 42. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm inheriting his hairline.

My temples have slowly been receding since I was about 19. (21 now)
    I'm probably NW2.25 or something like that at the moment. Temples are starting to go back more towards NW3, and the hairline itself is going back just a tiny bit.

A couple of months ago I started taking 320 mg Saw Palmetto extract and 10,000 mcg biotin daily. I didn't want to take propecia because after trying it for a couple of weeks, I started to develop "brain fog" and odd mood swings. It didn't seem worth the risk, as propecia isn't mean for the temples as much, anyway.

After using SP and Biotin for about 7-8 weeks, others have commented on the quality of my hair. I have noticed the improvement as well, but I'll let you guys look at the pics.

The first pic was taken in late 2010 when I was about 20. The reason I chose such an old pic is because that was the last time I had hair at a similar length as what it is now. I had been keeping it short over the past couple of years, but recently decided to grow it back out. At the time of the first pic, I didn't even notice I had hair loss, but as you will see, the quality of my hair wasn't very good. I obviously wasn't taking anything for treatment at the time.

The second pic was taken pretty recently. My hairline is more receded in the more recent pic, but the quality of the hair is much better. The pics really don't show the full difference, either, but you may get the idea.

Enough rambling, though. I'll let you guys see the pics and see what you think. Again, the pic on the left is from 2010. The pic on the right is a couple of weeks ago.

Quite a difference, or not so much?

-delete this post

Impossible to see any difference wearing your hair down like that. Pull it back and take photos from a few angles.

I't looks a bit healthier...Which Saw Palmetto and Biotin are you using? Can you please post the link of the products. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jas714 View Post
    Quite a difference, or not so much?
    No difference at all. It does not even look like you have any hair loss at all other than the natural and normal adult mature male hair line. Natural treatments don't do anything meaningful. If you feel you are suffering with hair loss. Book an appointment with a dermatologist who specializes in treating hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by dex89 View Post
    I't looks a bit healthier...Which Saw Palmetto and Biotin are you using? Can you please post the link of the products. Thanks
    Good 'ole Wal-Mart brand on both of them

To "Hurts", no, I won't delete this post, because I bet that someone, somewhere (who is probably much less bitter than you) will benefit from it, which is my intention.

Tracy, as I said, the difference might be hard to tell from the pics. Only in real life can we notice differences in texture, etc. My hair loss is in the early stages; so no need [for me, personally] to see a derm right now.

Chrisis (apologies if that's mispelled), I could take some hairline pics, but it wouldn't really mean anything because I haven't taken any older hairline pics. The difference is in the texture/feel.

I know that it's to be expected here, but everyone could benefit from being a little less bitter and edgy.. I was trying to make a post to offer some sort of hope, because I DO believe natural treatments can help in some way. I guess people don't take to positivity very well?

Good luck in our battles!

-JS

While your stated intentions are noble - people really only care to see very obvious differences.

Those two pictures could have been taken hours apart for all we can tell and how it looks in pictures you can see - but that could be entirely because of your hair being very dry in one and an hour after showering using a conditioner in the other.

Thumbs up

Hi

If you feel some sort of subjective benefit, good for you, keep doing it. However, I'm afraid those pictures don't indicate anything at all. I appreciate your good intentions but you must understand that the evidence you've put forward is very minimal. You may not even be experiencing mpb at all as hair texture, condition and growth rates may vary between seasons. What may appear as bitterness by some posters to you is more than likely just honesty framed by personal circumstances that are far more severe than yours. Dont take that personally, just temper your expectations. Conventional wisdom is that supplements will have a nominal effect on mpb. Your family history of hair loss sounds moderate so that's good news. I won't get into a Propecia debate as that's a personal choice. However, it does counteract the impact of DHT on hair all over the scalp, not just the crown. Anyway, you look to be in good shape concerning your hair. If you are willing to post additional info, we'll take a look. Otherwise, all the best and enjoy your hair!

Quote Originally Posted by jas714 View Post
    I know that it's to be expected here, but everyone could benefit from being a little less bitter and edgy.. I was trying to make a post to offer some sort of hope, because I DO believe natural treatments can help in some way. I guess people don't take to positivity very well?
    Just so you know, it's not about positivity. It's about being real. If you have a genuine problem with hair loss, natural remedies are not going to be enough to do anything meaningful for you are anything else. If the problem is a real problem, you need to see a qualified doctor.

Your hair looks the exact same, I.E it doesn't look like you suffered any hairloss before anyway, definitely not NW2+ level.