+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Decision Time

Default Decision Time

I 95% sure I'm going with a transplant, and have a few questions.

Currently I'm about a class 6, and wear a hair "unit", and I'm thinking of doing the transplants in stages over the course of a couple/three years (cost considerations). Starting next spring.

Can I have the transplants done in reverse order? Back (crown) to front(hairline), while still waring the hair unit - until I reach the final hairline stage?

I know it's doubtful that I can get 100% density in the crown area (save donor hairs for front hairline), but I would hope for at least 50% density.

Thoughts? Comments?

Inactive

Question

When you say "hair unit," do you mean a conventional toupee/hairpiece, or an extended-wear hair system that is bonded to your scalp?

Quote Originally Posted by ejd1984 View Post
    I 95% sure I'm going with a transplant, and have a few questions.

Currently I'm about a class 6, and wear a hair "unit", and I'm thinking of doing the transplants in stages over the course of a couple/three years (cost considerations). Starting next spring.

Can I have the transplants done in reverse order? Back (crown) to front(hairline), while still waring the hair unit - until I reach the final hairline stage?

I know it's doubtful that I can get 100% density in the crown area (save donor hairs for front hairline), but I would hope for at least 50% density.

Thoughts? Comments?
    As an nw6 patient, do you have enough donor supply to cover all balding areas ?

The answer is yes however possibly consider starting in the front and working towards the crown. A partial system/unit is less detectable when it's in the mid scalp transending to the crown.

It also allows you to make sure you have enough donor in the frontal zone to meet your minimum threshold of your goals. In other words, you want to be sure that you do not run out of available donor for the highest visual impact area which for most of us is the frontal zone.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Definitely agree with Gillenator here. I wouldn't start backwards as you may opt to leave the crown bald.

Frame the face with a mature hairline and let it go thin as you move backwards. It's a much better look.

Thanks for everyone's comments, REALLY helpful.

I understand starting from the front, and working back, while slowly decreasing density, but I still want to try for some form of coverage/density in the crown area as well.

As far as crown coverage in relation to available donor area, I'm at nearly the same exact amount of hair loss that this member (I may have about 5-10% more on the sides & temples), and I'm VERY impressed with his final results (including the crown).

I'd agree with the other comments regarding starting from the front. The last thing you need is to look in the mirror every day, having spent significant sums of money, and feel your hairline is wispy.
    Have you spoken to a HT surgeon about expectations graft wise?
    The results you linked to are very, very impressive alright.
    I'm 2 weeks on from my experience with Hasson & Wong and It's results like those that sold me on them in the first place...patiently waiting now!
    Best of luck with it all anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by carl1983 View Post
    I'd agree with the other comments regarding starting from the front. The last thing you need is to look in the mirror every day, having spent significant sums of money, and feel your hairline is wispy.
    Have you spoken to a HT surgeon about expectations graft wise?
    The results you linked to are very, very impressive alright.
    I'm 2 weeks on from my experience with Hasson & Wong and It's results like those that sold me on them in the first place...patiently waiting now!
    Best of luck with it all anyway.
    I guess I'll be back to wearing a hat for 6-9 months after the procedure - no big deal.

Right now I'm doing some preliminary research. If/When I have it done, it'll be next February/March.

Right now I'm trying to find a good HT surgeon in the Baltimore/DC metro area.
    (any suggestions?)

Quote Originally Posted by ejd1984 View Post
    I guess I'll be back to wearing a hat for 6-9 months after the procedure - no big deal.

Right now I'm doing some preliminary research. If/When I have it done, it'll be next February/March.

Right now I'm trying to find a good HT surgeon in the Baltimore/DC metro area.
    (any suggestions?)
    HT is a life changing decision. Trying to find a good surgeon in your area is not the way to go. You have to look on a national level or even an international level because there is no going back.

You have to be willing to travel if it's necessary and not rely on the 'the best in your area'.

Be very careful and if it's necessary travel across the ocean to find the best HT doctor you can get.

I'm going to initially start local, and slowly spread out over the fall and winter before I make the final decision.

Also, I'm thinking of staring on Spectral DNC-L now, to gain some additional density before the transplants. Would this be also be helpful?