+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Decision Time

Quote Originally Posted by ejd1984 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's comments, REALLY helpful.

I understand starting from the front, and working back, while slowly decreasing density, but I still want to try for some form of coverage/density in the crown area as well.

As far as crown coverage in relation to available donor area, I'm at nearly the same exact amount of hair loss that this member (I may have about 5-10% more on the sides & temples), and I'm VERY impressed with his final results (including the crown).
    You may sustain further loss in the crown as time goes by because MPB is progressive. Then you have to have more donor to fill in those areas that recede away from where the transplants are.

Being our donor is limited, it is wise to manage enough donor for the visually high impact area which is the frontal third because we do not have enough scalp donor to go around.

Something to think about.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post
    You may sustain further loss in the crown as time goes by because MPB is progressive. Then you have to have more donor to fill in those areas that recede away from where the transplants are.

Being our donor is limited, it is wise to manage enough donor for the visually high impact area which is the frontal third because we do not have enough scalp donor to go around.

Love your name bro.

OP, this guy is right. That's why you want to find a TOP Surgeon. Some of them can only half the grafts others can to give you the same look.

Time, travel and money should not be an obstacle for an HT decision ! Keep that in mind : ) .

Quote Originally Posted by gillenator View Post

I've thought about that as well. I'll make a final decision once I talk to a few HT surgeons, and get thier feedback.

If I do get a fair amount now to fill in the crown area, and the outer boundary starts to recede over the next 10 years, hopefully by that point there will be other treatments that will help.

Plus, it seems that my rate of hair loss had leveled over over the last 5-7 years, and may be generally settled in.

Or if I just need to used some form of minoxidil daily to have some coverage in the crown, I'm fine with that. That's why I'm starting on that now (6-9 months) prior to the projected HT surgery.

Good for you! There are times that the rate of loss can vary. It can appear to subside for several or more years and then resume a faster progression.

The hairloss meds can bring further stabilization to the rate of the progression of MPB. Effective hairloss meds can buy us time and keep us in hair longer!
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

I've got a curiosity question (that popped into my little head):

Will a HT also stimulate regrowth in some dormant and adjacent hairs?

I have not heard of claims to that before.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by ejd1984 View Post
    I've got a curiosity question (that popped into my little head):

Will a HT also stimulate regrowth in some dormant and adjacent hairs?
    I have heard such claims before by a certain NY doc (happy to say he's not an IAHRS member) with regard to Acell and PRP combined with HT. It is imho bull$h!t and a dirty sales pitch to extract extra money for what is an ineffective treatment.

I haven't heard it from any source, just a question I thought of.

@gillenator, hey man on a different topic I have a scar that is 1mm wide that I want filled with FUEs in hopes to take my hair down low, do you think my result can be acheived? Cortisone shots have reduced the scar, I will also do fraxel, the derma roller, as well as using about every cream. What are my chances? I can cover the scar right now at a 2 guard easily maybe even a 1 1/2 guard, i just want to not worry about this dumb scar any more. Any advise? I have seen some great results but there are few cases like mine with such thin scars...

StevieR,

You certainly are an exception to most patients who are in want/need of further scar reduction. Whatever you do, do not get a revision which would be further surgical attempts to make the scar thinner.

A 1mm scar is what most HT patients end up with providing they are good healers and had a competent surgeon with closing skills. It's hard to improve a 1mm scar so while FUE into your scar may potentially hide it more, once you get hair length down to less than a number 2 guide, it's hard to "completely diminish" the appearance especially in bright light. If you do decide on adding FUE, don't make it too many grafts. You can always add more later. Adding too many grafts in scar tissue can compromise adequate blood flow for the grafts to take and grow.

Honestly, I would advocate that you keep your hair length no shorter than what is absolutely essential to hide the scar. In other words, rather than have a goal to be able to buzz down to a number 1 guide, have a goal to just keep it hid as best as you can.

Any reason why you did not elect to go with a triclosure?

Best wishes to you friend.
    "Gillenator"
    more.hair@verizon.net