+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

I will go see a dermatologist once my blood test results come back on Monday. I did the shower test that Maradona suggested, that hair that came out was the same thickness as anywhere else on my head. However running my hand through the hair around my ears, a proper handful came out which has never happened before :S. This must be MPB? Actually FML.

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    I would go on soft products like Minoxidil/Nizoral at 18. Monitor your hair for at least a year, then go on the hard stuff propecia at 19 or 20 if it gets a bit more severe.
    I have been told to not try Propecia until 21 because I am a late developer (18, shave once every 2 weeks) and it might **** up my hormones. But at the same time, if it will stop my losing any hair, then I would like to get on it ASAP. Is it worth the risk? If I am going to be bald, I want a beard at least lol.

Quote Originally Posted by briandesigns View Post
    i perfectly understand his reaction. OP is good looking and hair is a huge part of looks for some ppl (ex: those who can't pull off shaved head). Losing something that you used to have or that you used to have and others didnt all of a sudden can be life changing.
    Thank you, it's the lack of control that scares me most.

Quote Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
    I would go on soft products like Minoxidil/Nizoral at 18.
    If all the OP has going on is the natural and normal adult mature male hair line, neither Minoxidil or Propecia are appropriate for him. The risk of possible negative side effects outweighs the perceived benefit. If the OP has thinning in his vertex and/or mid-anterior, then Minoxidil and/or Propecia could be appropriate for him. There is no harm in using Nizoral though, as long as he does not over use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack93 View Post
    I will go see a dermatologist once my blood test results come back on Monday. I did the shower test that Maradona suggested, that hair that came out was the same thickness as anywhere else on my head. However running my hand through the hair around my ears, a proper handful came out which has never happened before :S. This must be MPB? Actually FML.

I have been told to not try Propecia until 21 because I am a late developer (18, shave once every 2 weeks) and it might **** up my hormones. But at the same time, if it will stop my losing any hair, then I would like to get on it ASAP. Is it worth the risk? If I am going to be bald, I want a beard at least lol.

Thank you, it's the lack of control that scares me most.
    If they came the same thickness. Then you are good. You have slow baldness or no baldness and simply a mature hairline.

By the time it gets bad, if it ever does, you will have a better treatment on your hands.

The blood test will show nothing. Even if there was an anomality there's little your doctor can do.

The test you just did is a miniaturization test. A hair doctor will do the same test but with a microscope and will tell you the same thing I told you.

Consider yourself lucky.

Go natural till you turn 21 and your able to use propecia. Take saw palmetto, biotin orally and emu oil on your head. I wouldn't recommend rogaine...If i could go back I wouldn't mess with it but it's to late for me.

The "natural" treatments don't do anything meaningful. We have not seen the condition of the OP's scalp. Rogaine (Minoxidil) is only appropriate for thinning in the vertex and mid-anterior. We do not know if the OP has thinning in his vertex or mid-anterior. Attempting to use Rogaine on the hair line is very risky. It works for some guys but not for most guys. Anyone who intends to try it for their hair line should be aware of the possible consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Anyone who intends to try it for their hair line should be aware of the possible consequences.

What kind of consequences do you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    What kind of consequences do you speak of?
    Sorry, I should have said "any male who intends to use it on his hair line". Most males will not be able to regrow lost hair in their hair line. Some can but most cannot. You need to decide if the risk of worsening your hair line is worth it to you.

Aside from the possible side effects of using this medication, for males there is also a possibility that attempting to use it on their hair line may make their hair line worsen. Most males are genetically programmed to loose a certain amount of hair from their hair line as they mature into adults, particularly in their temples. Attempting to fight this natural and normal development can leave you worse off than before you started. Guys need to know that sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

Alright, thanks for clarifying that.

Why are there so many drama queens, freaks, and psychos on this site? It's like a breeding ground for them. It's not like this on the other hair loss sites I visit.