To fin, or not to fin? - BaldTruthTalk.com
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default To fin, or not to fin?

    Hello all!, i'm 22 years old and have been shedding for about 2 years now, but its not TOO bad yet, i have been taking minoxidil for half a year and my shedding reduced a bit, but now its back, during the shower i just lightly skim my hands through my hair and each time at lesat 10 hairs are on my hand..

    yes, devastating as im sure most of you know, so i don't need to keep explaining.

    Now i used to take fin for a few months about a year ago, and after a few months started getting limp dick with my gf, yes both of us were frustrated at this so i stopped taking them and went back to normal after a week

    Now im not with her anymore and have decided to jump back on fin, this time with a bit of strategy i have learned off this forum.... Cant remember which post it was but im slowly introducing fin again to my system like this, to reduce the chance of any sexual side effects:

    1x1.25mg a week for 2 weeks
    2x1.25mg a week for 2 weeks
    3x1.25mg a week for 2 weeks
    4x1.25.mg a week for 2 weeks and so on!

    I am now in my third week (2x1.25mg) and have not seen any side effects as of yet:

    Still getting morning wood here and there
    Sexual drive is still there
    Seamen looks normal

    Now i have been doing plenty of research on the net and i cannot seem to come to a conclusion whether or not i should continue this path, which has lead to me here writing this long ass post! (Need to vent a bit of frustration!)

    My brother has been using fin on/off for about 5-6 years and he said he hasn't suffered sexual side effects, although due to taking fin, his bone density as reduced (Another non-well known side effect of fin)

    But looking into a website www.propeciahelp.com i have read some shocking stories and doctor reviews on fin and its possible permanent sexual side effects only after a few months!!

    My ultimate question is, DO you guys think that finasteride is okay to take? And whether or not it will be risky to take this drug as i would definitely rather my sexual parts be working fine over balding!

    ANY input and constructive criticism would be appreciated!

    P.s Also, your experiences on fin would also be much appreciated.

    Any sexual sides?
    Shedding?
    Regrowth?
    Depression/Anxiety?
    Brain fog?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phzar View Post
    Hello all!, i'm 22 years old and have been shedding for about 2 years now, but its not TOO bad yet, i have been taking minoxidil for half a year and my shedding reduced a bit, but now its back, during the shower i just lightly skim my hands through my hair and each time at lesat 10 hairs are on my hand..

    yes, devastating as im sure most of you know, so i don't need to keep explaining.

    Now i used to take fin for a few months about a year ago, and after a few months started getting limp dick with my gf, yes both of us were frustrated at this so i stopped taking them and went back to normal after a week

    Now im not with her anymore and have decided to jump back on fin, this time with a bit of strategy i have learned off this forum.... Cant remember which post it was but im slowly introducing fin again to my system like this, to reduce the chance of any sexual side effects:

    1x1.25mg a week for 2 weeks
    2x1.25mg a week for 2 weeks
    3x1.25mg a week for 2 weeks
    4x1.25.mg a week for 2 weeks and so on!

    I am now in my third week (2x1.25mg) and have not seen any side effects as of yet:

    Still getting morning wood here and there
    Sexual drive is still there
    Seamen looks normal

    Now i have been doing plenty of research on the net and i cannot seem to come to a conclusion whether or not i should continue this path, which has lead to me here writing this long ass post! (Need to vent a bit of frustration!)

    My brother has been using fin on/off for about 5-6 years and he said he hasn't suffered sexual side effects, although due to taking fin, his bone density as reduced (Another non-well known side effect of fin)

    But looking into a website www.propeciahelp.com i have read some shocking stories and doctor reviews on fin and its possible permanent sexual side effects only after a few months!!

    My ultimate question is, DO you guys think that finasteride is okay to take? And whether or not it will be risky to take this drug as i would definitely rather my sexual parts be working fine over balding!

    ANY input and constructive criticism would be appreciated!

    P.s Also, your experiences on fin would also be much appreciated.

    Any sexual sides?
    Shedding?
    Regrowth?
    Depression/Anxiety?
    Brain fog?

    Actually it's all up to you, Don't count on the replies you get here to make ip your mind, since those with no sides will recommend it and those who got sides will ask you to stay away from it.
    The thing is, sides do not hit everybody but the do hit some percentage and some of them end up with permenant sides even after quiting. IMHO, it's not worth the risk since who knows anybody can be one of the unlucky ppl and end up with sides that might be permenant, and we are not talking about regular sides here, we are talking about major ones.
    I think if you already got sides before that mean your body is sensitive to DHT blockers and most likely you will get some sides at some point of time.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aim4hair View Post
    Actually it's all up to you, Don't count on the replies you get here to make ip your mind, since those with no sides will recommend it and those who got sides will ask you to stay away from it.
    The thing is, sides do not hit everybody but the do hit some percentage and some of them end up with permenant sides even after quiting. IMHO, it's not worth the risk since who knows anybody can be one of the unlucky ppl and end up with sides that might be permenant, and we are not talking about regular sides here, we are talking about major ones.
    I think if you already got sides before that mean your body is sensitive to DHT blockers and most likely you will get some sides at some point of time.
    For now im just going to keep up with my slow introduction of fin into my system, and yes these side effects are definitely horrible but as soon as i see some side effects i think i will cease taking the pills. Although i hate the idea of drugs being in my system and after a while my body becoming reliant on them, it is something that i think is worth the shot, i just HOPE i wont end up with permanent effects

    Thanks for your repy!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Come on guys, Do you think judging by your experiences i should start taking?

    "Would you reccomened it to someone that just told he his is developing male pattern baldness?"

    Just a yes or a no would be suffice and maybe a line or two as to why you think so

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phzar View Post
    Come on guys, Do you think judging by your experiences i should start taking?

    "Would you reccomened it to someone that just told he his is developing male pattern baldness?"

    Just a yes or a no would be suffice and maybe a line or two as to why you think so
    Answer this question:

    Are you willing to live a great amount of your life with a pill inside your body and having to worry all the time of your future with the drug?

    That's a very important question. Why? Because once you take it, there might not be a way back even if you drop it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,744

    Default

    Stay away from Propecia!!!! The evidence for continued sexual dysfunction is growing year on year!!!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Hey UK, could u direct me to some good sources to read up on Propecia/DHT??? Also i their is any method to decide if your a good candidate, like hormone levels before taking it. I looked on propeciahelp and could not find it.

    Right now I believe if you take a very small dose to start, be patient, and gradually work your way higher, then do the same thing when you go off the drug, there is a good chance you will be same (assuming your side effects have been minimal the hole way through). My opinion could change tomorro, just trying to learn, I gotta take some sort of action soon.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phzar View Post
    Hello all!, i'm 22 years old and have been shedding for about 2 years now, but its not TOO bad yet, i have been taking minoxidil for half a year and my shedding reduced a bit, but now its back, during the shower i just lightly skim my hands through my hair and each time at lesat 10 hairs are on my hand..

    yes, devastating as im sure most of you know, so i don't need to keep explaining.

    Now i used to take fin for a few months about a year ago, and after a few months started getting limp dick with my gf, yes both of us were frustrated at this so i stopped taking them and went back to normal after a week

    Now im not with her anymore and have decided to jump back on fin, this time with a bit of strategy i have learned off this forum.... Cant remember which post it was but im slowly introducing fin again to my system like this, to reduce the chance of any sexual side effects:

    1x1.25mg a week for 2 weeks
    2x1.25mg a week for 2 weeks
    3x1.25mg a week for 2 weeks
    4x1.25.mg a week for 2 weeks and so on!

    I am now in my third week (2x1.25mg) and have not seen any side effects as of yet:

    Still getting morning wood here and there
    Sexual drive is still there
    Seamen looks normal

    Now i have been doing plenty of research on the net and i cannot seem to come to a conclusion whether or not i should continue this path, which has lead to me here writing this long ass post! (Need to vent a bit of frustration!)

    My brother has been using fin on/off for about 5-6 years and he said he hasn't suffered sexual side effects, although due to taking fin, his bone density as reduced (Another non-well known side effect of fin)

    But looking into a website www.propeciahelp.com i have read some shocking stories and doctor reviews on fin and its possible permanent sexual side effects only after a few months!!

    My ultimate question is, DO you guys think that finasteride is okay to take? And whether or not it will be risky to take this drug as i would definitely rather my sexual parts be working fine over balding!

    ANY input and constructive criticism would be appreciated!

    P.s Also, your experiences on fin would also be much appreciated.

    Any sexual sides?
    Shedding?
    Regrowth?
    Depression/Anxiety?
    Brain fog?
    For the vast majority of men, yes, finasteride is fine to take long term. For a minority of men, there will be side effects that will resolve within a few months of quitting. For a smaller number of men, fin jacks them up and it can take many months or years to recover. Some men have been waiting years for full recovery and haven't seen it happen--there is no telling if those guys will ever actually recover in full.
    It's basically your judgment call to make re: risks vs. benefits. if you're like me and are horribly devastated by the prospect of hair loss (I'm quite vain and there is almost nothing more important than being able to enjoy my young adulthood with my appearance intact--and yeah a lot of it is sex life), then yes I would say fin is definitely worth the risk. However many or most young men probably don't share my philosophy, at least not to this extreme.
    The results have been quite good. My hair looks significantly better than when I started 2 years ago. I generally take a positive view of fin because it literally gave me my life back for almost no money (generic Proscar is very cheap). Others on this forum had a terrible experience (persistent side effects) and will be coming from a very different point of view
    No side effects for me except early on I did notice changes in ejaculatory fluid, which seemed to go away within the first few months. Others have reported similar temporary sides as their body adjusts to a new hormone profile--mild testicular ache is a common one.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Thankyou everyone for feedback, and maradon that question was on my mind for hours.

    My ultimate response is that i am willing to take the risk and continue on propecia. IF i notice anything i will stop straight away but i doubt it. I havent had sex in a few months so it doesnt look like ill be in a position anytime soon to realy see if nothings happend to me, but maybe there will be other signs? Hopefully not *fingers crossed*

    Thanks 25_65, UK as well.

    I am using Propecia, Minoxidil and nizoral shampoo. Let's see what the three combined can do

    I first used nizoral today, i had heaps of dandruff and sebum by the looks of it and after the first wash, completley gone! Amazing stuff really, my head used to be itchy and flakey and now feels amazing.. Hopefully the sebum that has gone will make way for the minoxidil to really get in there.

    Any other opinions would be appreciated and i will be posting up photos at a later stage!

    Thanks guys so far It's great having people in the same situation to converse with about the subject, im one of the only people in my group of friends with MPB and the other guy has just shaved his head and hasnt thought twice since haha..

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
    Posts
    1,258

    Default

    No I would not recommend this tablet for MPB. For something that's essentially a vanity issue, the side effects are just too risky. I'd urge extra caution if you're young and your balding is minor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

» IAHRS

hair transplant surgeons

» The Bald Truth

» Recent Threads

FUE 2686FU - Dr Lupanzula - Medikemos
09-18-2020 04:33 AM
by Spear1
Last Post By Spear1
Today 10:25 AM
Dr. Bisanga - Motorised v Manual FUE
Today 10:15 AM
Last Post By Raphael84hair
Today 10:15 AM
Download ringtones for mobile phones
06-03-2021 12:08 AM
Last Post By TheodoreHill
Today 03:09 AM
Repair case at 13 months by Dr. Lindsey
05-12-2021 06:51 AM
Last Post By monicagreen
Today 02:08 AM