+ Reply to Thread

Default Weary Introduction

Hi all, I'm a new here, but sadly not to the loosing/lost hair story. I started loosing my hair in the mid/late 20s, and started wearing a hair (unit) about 15 years ago (now 47), and I'm just getting tired of it. I will say that the place I've been going to is very good at making it look natural, but again just tired of it and want as much of my real hair back!!!!

Right now I'm about half way between a 5A & 6 on this baldness chart, but a 10-15% density along the top.

Two questions about options I'm thinking of.
    1. How much of a successfully candidate would I be for hair transplants.
    2. I've also been thinking of going the route of a combination of finasteride and minoxidil for a year to see what kind of results I could get. The question I have on this - If this was to work, and I get a substantial regrowth back that I'm happy with, could I stop taking the finasteride and just keep using the minoxidil to keep what grew back? I don't want to be taking finasteride for the next 20+ years.

Once I retire, then I may just shave all off, but for now I feel that I'm just too young for that route (personally).

Any help/opinions/stories/options would be GREATLY appreciated.

If you plan on shaving it off you should really just forget about going down the hair transplant route. I know many consider Finasteride safe but what they fail to understand is just how corrupt the pharmaceutical business is along with all studies they stick in your face. What did GllaxoSmithKline just pay a few months ago a 3 billion dollar fine for promoting two drugs for unapproved uses are you paying attention Accel promoters? This is chump change for these guys, just a cost of doing business and it happens on a consistent basis. They don’t care about you, they care about their bottom line.

If you have worn the unit for 20 years retirement is not that far away. If you think what you are doing is tiring than try concealing a hair transplant where you didn’t have the donor and are now trying to make it look normal.

And for those that think something is safe because they have been using it for 10 years don’t be so sure. It takes Statins at least 20 years before their deadly effects start to appear. It’s like smoking a cigarette one will probably not give you cancer, maybe not even 1 year of smoking or even 5 but when you start talking about 20+ years the stats are not in your favor. It's not meant to scare anyone but this is reality and the real money is made in life long medication if you were in the pharmacuetical business you would know that, but most are just hair loss sufferers thinking they are getting help.

So are you talking me out of all options?

The one thing I want to clarify. If I were to get a moderately successful transplant, I wouldn't be shaving it all off, just let the natural progression happen.

I was just curious if anyone has had success with the the finasteride/minoxidil treatment I'm proposing?

Or is there anything really promising in the pipeline I should wait for?

Yes Replicel, Histogen, Aderans, dr Gho claims he is regenerating hair follicles in donor hair transplant areas... those are the main ones.

Ejd I’m not trying to talk you out of anything just stating an opinion. Personally I wouldn’t use finasteride as I really don’t believe what these drug companies have to say but that is a personal choice. If you go to a top notch fue doctor you can have a natural thinning look with your available donor and maybe leave the crown bald as an option. That is realistic and you could cut it fairly short without any worries. So yes it is possible but you will never achieve the density of a unit. If you are realistic and understand the numbers before doing anything that yes it is an option.

And of course if you can wait it's always better and that applies to many other things in life. Technology always gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    Yes Replicel, Histogen, Aderans, dr Gho claims he is regenerating hair follicles in donor hair transplant areas... those are the main ones.
    Cool. Thanks!!! Is there any time frame as to when any of these will be widely available here in the U.S.?

Topcat comes across as knowledgeable and he does have a great deal of experience in making both good and very bad decisions in his hair loss journey, but you should not take his advice as the gospel. I think he means well, but his experience is based on his own poor choices for the most part and he’s very pushy with his opinions on this forum. Personally if I was in your position I probably would not start Propecia, but not for the reasons Topcat is suggesting. It’s unlikely that you would see much benefit since you have been bald for so long, so for this reason it probably is not right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ejd1984 View Post
    So are you talking me out of all options?

The one thing I want to clarify. If I were to get a moderately successful transplant, I wouldn't be shaving it all off, just let the natural progression happen.

I was just curious if anyone has had success with the the finasteride/minoxidil treatment I'm proposing?

Or is there anything really promising in the pipeline I should wait for?

I would agree somewhat with Amadeus has written but as far as being pushy that’s a bit of a stretch. Nobody should ever feel pushed by anyone’s opinion and no one should ever take the advice of one person. It’s one opinion among many that are presented to the forums. Each individual should read as many opinions as possible, speak to as many people as possible and meet as many people in person as possible and then formulate your own opinion.

Taking any one person’s advice is insane and taking any one person’s advice that profits from this industry in even more insane.

The worst type of post is the one where the poster asks which clinic or doctor he should go to, tell me who is good. That is not only lazy and doesn't deserve a response but it's ususally the road to disaster.

EJD go for a small fue procedure if you really feel hair transplantation is for you. Maybe 500-1000 see how it goes. If you like what you see move forward if not very little damage is done. Trust yourself and no one else in this business or on the forums it's a safer bet. Whatever you do, don't go for the huge scar across the back of the head.