+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Post Minoxidil Shed

I used minoxidil 5% twice daily for 1.5 months only on the hairline corners. During that time, my hair rapidly thinned out and looked horrible in that area. Yes, I realize that shedding is normal and expected before seeing results.

This is not the reason i stopped. I stopped because I was getting bad headaches and a bloated face from the minox and it was definitely not worth it.

I stopped 4 weeks ago cold turkey. Since then my headaches have stopped and bloated face has reduced significantly. I also feel better and have more energy and get better sleep.

I have read many horror stories about stopping minox then 3 months later all your hair falls out even in areas you had thick healthy hair as a result of the "post minoxidil shed telogen effluvium".

I also read of a formal study where they had a group of ppl used minox for 2 years. Then quit cold turkey. Their hair counts and weights decreased significantly for six months then went back to baseline of where they were before treatment.

The question is
    1. Will i experience this shed even though i only used it 6 weeks?
    2. Has anyone here quit minox and then months later hair went back to normal?

I feel like there is no clear answer to this question about post-minox shedding. Most ppl who quit panic at the first sight of the post-minox shed and get back on before their hair can recover fully.

All answers are appreciated.

Minox is poisonous to cats.

Has anyone here quit minox without having a horrible post-minox shed?

how are there no answers to a single question about post-minoxidil shedding?
    It is the second most popular hairloss drug in the U.S and there are no clear answers anywhere on this forum about what to expect after quitting

I used minox for 3 months then just quit because it made my hair look greasy and lank. I didn't experience any increased shedding I don't think.

I think reactions are individual.

How long ago did you quit? Thanks for your reply.

It must be 8 years ago now

Quote Originally Posted by Person View Post
    I used minoxidil 5% twice daily for 1.5 months only on the hairline corners. During that time, my hair rapidly thinned out and looked horrible in that area. Yes, I realize that shedding is normal and expected before seeing results.

This is not the reason i stopped. I stopped because I was getting bad headaches and a bloated face from the minox and it was definitely not worth it.

I stopped 4 weeks ago cold turkey. Since then my headaches have stopped and bloated face has reduced significantly. I also feel better and have more energy and get better sleep.

I have read many horror stories about stopping minox then 3 months later all your hair falls out even in areas you had thick healthy hair as a result of the "post minoxidil shed telogen effluvium".

I also read of a formal study where they had a group of ppl used minox for 2 years. Then quit cold turkey. Their hair counts and weights decreased significantly for six months then went back to baseline of where they were before treatment.

The question is
    1. Will i experience this shed even though i only used it 6 weeks?
    2. Has anyone here quit minox and then months later hair went back to normal?

I feel like there is no clear answer to this question about post-minox shedding. Most ppl who quit panic at the first sight of the post-minox shed and get back on before their hair can recover fully.

All answers are appreciated.
    I think that 1,5 months is too little time. But seriously consider the continuation of the treatment. It could possibly work for you.

Have you tried the foam version? It is supposed to be more effective with fewer side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by seacat View Post
    Have you tried the foam version? It is supposed to be more effective with fewer side effects.
    I used the 5% foam