+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Very Sad- woman with male pattern baldness- pics

Any advice is appreciated- hairloss like my dads with high androgen levels.
    Thinking about transplant in September. I've only had one consult and Dr. wants to do 2000 grafts in front 1000 in crown in two separate sessions- wants to make sure the first one is successful. I haven't decided on what Dr. to do the transplant. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (94.3 KB, 188 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (90.8 KB, 143 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (93.7 KB, 131 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (94.6 KB, 124 views)

Honestly, looking at your pics it doesn't look to me like a hair transplant would give you the kind of results you would need to get complete coverage. Also with the new treatments on the horizon, I don't think a HT would be best. Especially when (Histogen for example) has already shown to be more effective on women.

Have you looked into hair-systems? They seem to (imo) look better on women cause of the long hair. Plus from what I see, it seems to be more socially except-able for a woman to wear a wig. And a good hair piece could be virtually undetectable and I think would make a HUGE difference for you.

This should/could hold you over till a new treatment is available. And you wouldn't risk any scalp damage that a hair transplant may give you.

Just my opinion. Good luck!

Dr Cole seem to be one of the best according to this forum

there is Dr Gho too but there is alot of controversy about his hair multiplication technique

Best luck, i hope it work out for you

The amount for the crown seems right but I think you'd need a higher number of grafts for the front to make a good difference.

I agree that a good hair system would be an option worth exploring.

Have you had a thorough check-up with a doctor about this and had your hormones tested properly? Have you looked into the treatment options?

You do have my greatest sympathy for what you're going through. It's tough enough for the guys and must be worse for a woman.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

The thing about being a female with male pattern baldness is that this makes you a much better candidate for surgical hair restoration than most women. This is because females usually have more diffused loss that permeates into the traditional donor zone thereby leaving much less donor hair available for transplantation.

With male patterned hair loss you are less likely to have this diffused loss in your donor zone so the amount of donor hair available is usually far greater. Unfortunately, women also tend to have tighter scalps so if you are looking at FUT then this could be a factor. Scalp laxity exercises can help however depending on how diligent you are.

I agree with Mattj in that the front will need more than 2000 grafts as a female hairline will include temple closure and you'll also need a high density placement. The crown would benefit from 1000 grafts but dont' expect miracles in this area. It will still look thin.
    www.HassonandWong.com

All opinions are my own and may not necessarily be shared by Dr. Wong and/or Dr. Hasson.

If you are interested in having an online consultation visit www.hassonandwong.ca

To view my story and history visit my website at www.hairtransplantmentor.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattj View Post
    You do have my greatest sympathy for what you're going through. It's tough enough for the guys and must be worse for a woman.
    Her pattern is exactly like my mother's was when Mom was her age.

Mom never did anything to treat it so she looks like a Norwood V now. My mother's sisters look the same.

Honestly, I think women pull off wigs (sorry if there is a more PC term) than men. Maybe buy a $75 pair of clippers to keep the hair nice and short and a couple hundred dollar hair system for long term alleviation.

Kind regards.

Good quality prosthetic hair for women is a whole lot more than a couple of hundred dollars. Of course prosthetic hair can provide aesthetic improvement but it does not provide "long term alleviation". Only hair restoration can provide that.

I do support the use of prosthetic hair for both men and women. There is nothing wrong with wearing hair if it helps you feel better about yourself. However, if anything at all can be done to achieve an acceptable degree of hair restoration, it is worth it to try.

Quote Originally Posted by wanthair74 View Post
    Any advice is appreciated- hairloss like my dads with high androgen levels.
    Thinking about transplant in September. I've only had one consult and Dr. wants to do 2000 grafts in front 1000 in crown in two separate sessions- wants to make sure the first one is successful. I haven't decided on what Dr. to do the transplant. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.
    Hi Wanthair74,

You certainly found the right website for help, there are experts here who can certainly help you.

Not knowing where your located its hard to say you should see Dr?, Regardless, from my short period of time being a member here I have found incredible transplants performed at many areas of the United States and Canada easy to travel to.

Use the search function on the forum to read and see what the surgeons who post here frequently have done in the past, there are some incredible results for both men and women posted.

I'm 100% sure you will find a great surgeon who can perform fabulous results for you.

Keep a positive attitude, don't let this depress you, understand you can have a full head of hair which will be absolutely perfect, all you need to do is find the surgeon to your liking, and its uphill from that moment on.

I wish the best for you...!!

Quote Originally Posted by inspects View Post
    Keep a positive attitude, don't let this depress you, understand you can have a full head of hair which will be absolutely perfect...
    I know you are just trying to help but this statement is absolutely not true. Surgery cannot restore a full head of hair, much less a full head of hair that is perfect for a woman. It is just not possible to do that yet. Realistic expectations are very very important. It might be possible to restore the look of complete feminine coverage for her. But it will take more than surgery alone to do it. It will require meds, surgery and time. After all that, she will likely also need a good quality hair loss concealer.

My degree of hair loss was less than hers. To restore my hair took meds, surgery and time - lots of it. And yes, I do need to use a good quality concealer on top of all that to achieve the look of a feminine head of hair.