Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    The thing is, plenty of people alter their appearances with "artificial" things that are detectable to those who know what to look for -- everything from prosthetic limbs to glass eyes to breast enhancements -- and nobody really cares. To me, the primary criterion for something like this (whether it be a hairpiece or anything else) shouldn't be "Is this absolutely undetectable?" but rather "Do I look better with this than without this?

If you want to avoid embarrassment at being "detected" as a hairpiece-wearer, I think the best approach is not to keep it a secret. People pay attention to what they think others are trying to hide; they quickly lose interest in things that aren't being concealed.
    Yeah, I agree that plenty of people do things to alter their appearances. Prosthetic limbs are kind of in a different league than a wig in that people actually use them out of necessity rather than choice. In my opinion, breast enhancements are totally different than wearing a wig. There are plenty of people in the public eye who acknowledge that they have breast implants, yet they are still viewed as sexy and attractive. Pamela Anderson, Jenna Jameson, and even people that I personally know come to mind. However, I really don't know anyone who outed themselves as wearing a wig and they were still viewed as sexy and attractive. I think it would be a million times worse to be outed for wearing a wig than having breast implants (or even most other aesthetic treatments for that matter).

In terms of people not keeping their wigs a secret, I kind of think that that defeats whole purpose of wearing a wig. I think most people with wigs wear them because they want people to believe that they have a full head of hair. That's why these wig-makers today design these wigs to be so natural-looking, so that hopefully no one will detect that the person is wearing a wig in the first place. If some one admits that they are wearing a wig, it's as if they are saying: "I'm really bald, but I'm just covering up", and that to me would be very embarrassing. Thankfully I'm not close to being bald because I'm not sure I could handle wearing a wig or having surgery on my head.

But yeah, you're right about people having all kinds of cosmetic surgery today to improve their appearances. However, hair loss just gets totally marginalized as usual. I mean, women do all kinds of ridiculous things to improve their appearances, yet a lot of them just can't understand the misery and depression that a lot of us guys feel when we start to lose our hair. So they (and most other people) cannot understand the lengths that many of us go through to restore our hair.