+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default On the cusp of breakthroughs.. Why not get a hair system and wait it out?

The way I see it is if you're losing your hair right now you're essentially screwed. I know a lot of you have had a lot of success using topicals and finasteride but the ongoing cost certainly adds up and the sides for many people can be quite bad. but my question is this:

We all know there will be a 'cure' in our lifetime, I would honestly say within the next 10 years. So why would you not get a hair system instead of spending money on topicals and pills that wont make your hair look perfect anyway?

Also if you get a hair transplant the cost is huge and and the results are variable..

I'm just saying wouldn't we all be happier if rather than spending **** loads of ongoing money on pills etc and hair transplants we spend one big lot of money now on a system and some small investments for maintenance and it lasts 7 years. In this 7 years we may see the 'cure'. A lot of hair systems (particularly farrel systems) are almost completely undetectable and can literally live on your scalp for 2 weeks at a time. No one would ever see it, you wouldnt have to continually apply potions daily and suffer fin sides and when the cure does come out your head wont be all scarred from surgery.

The only reason I can think of is that people may think they are being inauthentic. However I bet plenty of people here use toppik or nanogens or comb their hair in a certain way so as to hide their hair loss. Which is also rather inauthentic, really and the results are iffy.

Anyway I guess for me it would just be a massive load off my mind, I would KNOW my hair was going to look good all the time I wouldnt have to worry about water, sweat, anything because of the quality of the systems these days...

But hey I guess its just for my because I had some ****ed up sides on fin after 3 months and I don't really believe minox works that well. I would be keen to wear a system for a couple of years. When Histogen is all good and ready get some injections in the ol scalp. See what happens. The other thing is im only 21, and I'm in the music industry, the demographic that my band mainly appeals to is teenage girls and they don't find bald sexy.. haha. if I was 30 something I dont think id really care to be honest. But your image is everything in the entertainment industry.

Anyway rant over this is my first post, hopefully my last... I honesty hate these forums, they have given me so much info but I ****ing hate them. I suggest you all get the **** off here, read "The Game' by Neil Strauss (A 5 foot 2 bald guy who is quite honestly, rather unnatractive) which is about how he becomes the wolrds greatest pickup artist and get to the goddam gym. Any girl would prefer a ripped bald guy to a fat unhealthy guy with hair. (not taking personality into account) Or shave your head and get some mad tatts on there. What you cant fix, feature right?

Peas brahs <3

Inactive

Exclamation

Problem is, nobody knows if we're really on the cusp of breakthroughs. There's no guarantee we'll see a "cure" for hair loss in the next ten years. Everybody hopes so, but nobody knows for sure. Might happen in the next few years; might not happen for another thirty or more.

Ball D, you bring up some good points. I too really believe that we are on the cusp of hair cloning and massive breakthroughs as well. And not just through the well-known companies like Aderans and Histogen. Stem cells are revolutionizing the medical industry and have been used to accomplish things a helluva lot more complicated than regrowing hair. Even if you listen to some of the past broadcasts of the Bald Truth, even Spencer alludes to that hair regrowth/cloning has already been achieved, but for one reason or another is not available to the public yet. My guess is that the company that achieved it (maybe Aderans) still needs to plod through the FDA-required clinical trials.

I just don't agree when it comes to wigs/hair pieces. They're about as bad of an alternative as hair transplants in my opinion. Although a wig/hair system can make it look like a person has a full head of hair (most hair transplants can't) and one doesn't need to be on Propecia when wearing a system, a wig/hair system poses lots of other problems. One will always worry about who will detect the wig (I know some one who had this problem), the sweat that accumulates under the wig when a person is active or during the summer (sweat loosens the attachments that hold the wig on to the head), and my main concern that a hair system would rip out the native hair under where the system is attached. The one positive with a wig as opposed to a hair transplant is that a person is not prisoner a linear scar on the back of their head for the rest of their life. So if their priorities change in like 10 years and they want to shave their head, they have the option to do so since they don't have any permanent head scarring.

Ball D, I love hanging out in the music scene too and I've played with a couple of bands (albeit local bar bands) and that's why I cannot accept hair loss. It's just not the way that I want to present myself or how I want society to see me. That's why I'm always looking for potential cures/remedies for hair loss all the time, especially since most of the options we have today are woefully ineffective (that I totally agree with you on).

I dont know about you but i can spot out a wig from a mile away. No matter how good you think the hair system looks, its still fake and embarssing if people catch on. To me i rather be balding than wear a hair system because atleast im a man about it. Plus histogen is coming down the pipe and it may not be a real cure but for us norwood 2s and 3s, it can be enough to have a full head of hair again.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    I dont know about you but i can spot out a wig from a mile away.
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Toupee_fallacy

Inactive

Question

Quote Originally Posted by john2399 View Post
    To me i rather be balding than wear a hair system because atleast im a man about it. Plus histogen is coming down the pipe and it may not be a real cure but for us norwood 2s and 3s, it can be enough to have a full head of hair again.
    I can't say I understand a thought process that deems wearing artificial hair to be "unmanly" but is perfectly fine with wearing artificially restored hair.

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    I can't say I understand a thought process that deems wearing artificial hair to be "unmanly" but is perfectly fine with wearing artificially restored hair.
    Well its my own hair!! Who are you btw..your like Mr.know it all on this board. Do you work for the bald truth ?

Inactive

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    Although a wig/hair system can make it look like a person has a full head of hair, a wig/hair system poses lots of other problems. One will always worry about who will detect the wig.
    The thing is, plenty of people alter their appearances with "artificial" things that are detectable to those who know what to look for -- everything from prosthetic limbs to glass eyes to breast enhancements -- and nobody really cares. To me, the primary criterion for something like this (whether it be a hairpiece or anything else) shouldn't be "Is this absolutely undetectable?" but rather "Do I look better with this than without this?

If you want to avoid embarrassment at being "detected" as a hairpiece-wearer, I think the best approach is not to keep it a secret. People pay attention to what they think others are trying to hide; they quickly lose interest in things that aren't being concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    The thing is, plenty of people alter their appearances with "artificial" things that are detectable to those who know what to look for -- everything from prosthetic limbs to glass eyes to breast enhancements -- and nobody really cares. To me, the primary criterion for something like this (whether it be a hairpiece or anything else) shouldn't be "Is this absolutely undetectable?" but rather "Do I look better with this than without this?

If you want to avoid embarrassment at being "detected" as a hairpiece-wearer, I think the best approach is not to keep it a secret. People pay attention to what they think others are trying to hide; they quickly lose interest in things that aren't being concealed.
    Yeah, I agree that plenty of people do things to alter their appearances. Prosthetic limbs are kind of in a different league than a wig in that people actually use them out of necessity rather than choice. In my opinion, breast enhancements are totally different than wearing a wig. There are plenty of people in the public eye who acknowledge that they have breast implants, yet they are still viewed as sexy and attractive. Pamela Anderson, Jenna Jameson, and even people that I personally know come to mind. However, I really don't know anyone who outed themselves as wearing a wig and they were still viewed as sexy and attractive. I think it would be a million times worse to be outed for wearing a wig than having breast implants (or even most other aesthetic treatments for that matter).

In terms of people not keeping their wigs a secret, I kind of think that that defeats whole purpose of wearing a wig. I think most people with wigs wear them because they want people to believe that they have a full head of hair. That's why these wig-makers today design these wigs to be so natural-looking, so that hopefully no one will detect that the person is wearing a wig in the first place. If some one admits that they are wearing a wig, it's as if they are saying: "I'm really bald, but I'm just covering up", and that to me would be very embarrassing. Thankfully I'm not close to being bald because I'm not sure I could handle wearing a wig or having surgery on my head.

But yeah, you're right about people having all kinds of cosmetic surgery today to improve their appearances. However, hair loss just gets totally marginalized as usual. I mean, women do all kinds of ridiculous things to improve their appearances, yet a lot of them just can't understand the misery and depression that a lot of us guys feel when we start to lose our hair. So they (and most other people) cannot understand the lengths that many of us go through to restore our hair.

Inactive

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    Prosthetic limbs are kind of in a different league than a wig in that people actually use them out of necessity rather than choice.
    Generally, but there are some prosthetics whose primary purpose is cosmetic rather than functional.

In my opinion, breast enhancements are totally different than wearing a wig. There are plenty of people in the public eye who acknowledge that they have breast implants, yet they are still viewed as sexy and attractive. However, I really don't know anyone who outed themselves as wearing a wig and they were still viewed as sexy and attractive.
    Yes, clearly people's attitudes towards those two things vary widely. But the point is, why should they? What is so inherently different about those two body parts that justifies considering fake boobs to be sexy but fake hair to be ridiculous?

In terms of people not keeping their wigs a secret, I kind of think that that defeats whole purpose of wearing a wig. I think most people with wigs wear them because they want people to believe that they have a full head of hair.
    Certainly people want to look like they have full heads of hair; fooling others into believing they have full heads of hair is another matter. The latter need not follow from the former.

That's why these wig-makers today design these wigs to be so natural-looking, so that hopefully no one will detect that the person is wearing a wig in the first place.
    They're natural-looking so that they look like real hair. Even people who don't care that others know they're wearing hairpieces still want hairpieces that look real. What's the point of wearing fake hair that looks fake?

If some one admits that they are wearing a wig, it's as if they are saying: "I'm really bald, but I'm just covering up", and that to me would be very embarrassing.
    But I think that only applies as long as you assume and act like you've got something to cover up. If you just own and it say, "Yeah, I'm wearing a piece because I've lost some hair and I look better this way," what have you got to be embarrassed about? Embarrassment is about other people making you feel uncomfortable; if you refuse to accept the discomfort, they can't succeed.