+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

How about trying to strengthen the penis(longer and harder) and sperm quality with natural foods or substances:

-Omega 3 fish oil
    -green tea
    -green veggies--especially broccoli
    -blue-berries
    -chili-peppers
    -olive oil and nuts
    -coffee in moderation
    -bananas
    -onions

There is a good chance your doctor will be in disbelief (those less so than in recent years). It might be smart to print out a copy of Dr. Irwig's studies and Dr. Traish' study so that the doctor will not immediately blame you for the syndrome which has happened all too many times in the past.

Other than that - I don't know what other advice to offer you. You will likely get a hormone test in conjunction with some other tests. Neurological testing might be warranted as you said you have a lack of sensation and numbness in your penis. Keep an open mind but keep expectations low because it can be so discouraging to meet with a doctor who is supposed to have all of the answers and find they don't have much to offer.

The problem regarding PFS is far more complex, those natural remedies may have a slight impact for a few days but even with the most involved techniques patients often relapse after a week or so. The body realises that you are trying to upregulate a certain androgen/chemical, so it works against you to find its own 'balance'.

The best explanation researchers have at the moment is that finasteride has either reduced or killed off a portion of androgen receptors in the body, that the drug has resulted in a lower intracellular activity of the compound 5AR and/or that the body has somehow developed a kind of resistance to some androgens. They need to compare androgen ratios between FIN users and healthy users, the fact that SOME people respond well to higher doses of TEST indicates a receptor issue.

There are a lot of explanations, but, when it comes to the endocrine system, the body has a mind of its own, I think it has treated finasteride as a virus/bacteria or some foreign object and learnt the way it enacts on cells and the endocrine system holistically, therefore the body then imitates the actions of the drug for years after quitting, possibly indefinately.

^^that last paragraph is my own theory so feel free to shoot it down, give me your input with reference to journals.

This study in rats shows the neurogenic issues associated with DUT use:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...nticated=false

I heard it that Fin will turn you transgender. Is this true? I hope not.

hey chrisis,

i just posted pretty much the same thing--although i was on propecia for over a year and cut down my dosage to .05 mg at the half year mark, i too, am suffering from sides.

i am in the process of tapering off the drug as i've heard going cold turkey could be problematic.

my problems have been lowered libido (pretty much no desire for sex)--it's like i have to remind myself that it's enjoyable.

i can still get an erection but it is pretty lackluster and softer than it used to be and makes sex with my girlfriend difficult. i am writing this because i am curious to know the extent of your sides? can you still get an erection? is it softer, etc, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by nikemata View Post
    I heard it that Fin will turn you transgender. Is this true? I hope not.
    There's a tipping balance with the endocrine system, on the one hand you have it tipping toward the test > estradiol pathway and on the other you have the test > DHT pathway, tipping in favor of the former will create more feminine characteristics such as breast growth etc, and the latter, male characteristics. In seeking either of the extremes through the use of exogenous substances can lead to some serious unwanted side effects.

Penis sensitivity through androgen deprivation is partially understood when viewing the penile nerve framework of castrated rats:

"Androgens are essential for the expression of normal libido in the male, but their role in the maintenance of the erectile response in humans is controversial. It has been shown previously in the rat that castration induces 1) loss of penile reflexes; and 2) considerable reduction in the erectile response to electric field stimulation (EFS) of the cavernosal nerve."

http://endo.endojournals.org/content/136/4/1495.short
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    If you are experience sexual sides there is hope with hormone replacement therapy. It is likely that your androgen receptors at your - you know what - have become under sensitive and will only respond to a high amount of testosterone or DHT.
    I think DHT can repair the nerve damage caused by finasteride, testosterone is unable to do so, but DHT can, please read the following article and let me know what you think (btw it is in RAT model).

http://endo.endojournals.org/content/136/4/1495.short

Five-month-old rats were either castrated or left intact. The orchiectomized rats were implanted with SILASTIC brand silicon tubing (Dow Corning) containing testosterone or DHT with or without daily injections of the 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride. After 7 days, rats were submitted to EFS and the intracavernosal pressure was recorded. Castration reduced the EFS-induced erectile response by 50% in comparison with intact rats and testosterone restored this decrease to normal. When finasteride was given to these testosterone-treated castrate rats, erectile response was not restored. DHT was as effective as testosterone in restoring response to EFS in castrates and this effect was not decreased by finasteride.
    When androgens are restored using testosterone it seems to bring the EFS score back to baseline however when finasteride is used it does not work, it can only work in this instance with the direct use of DHT itself, probably because the test is being programmed by the estrogen dominated endocrine system to favor the conversion of test to estradiol and reject DHT. The only problem here is how long do the benefits last, are they permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    There's a tipping balance with the endocrine system, on the one hand you have it tipping toward the test > estradiol pathway and on the other you have the test > DHT pathway, tipping in favor of the former will create more feminine characteristics such as breast growth etc, and the latter, male characteristics. In seeking either of the extremes through the use of exogenous substances can lead to some serious unwanted side effects.

Penis sensitivity through androgen deprivation is partially understood when viewing the penile nerve framework of castrated rats:
    Where does Fin go?

Quote Originally Posted by nikemata View Post
    Where does Fin go?
    Finasteride inhibits the formation of DHT by blocking the enzyme 5AR. 5AR convert testosterone, progesterone, deoxycorticosterone, aldosterone and corticosterone into their respective 5A -dihydro-derivatives, which serve as substrates for 3A - hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (3α-HSD) enzymes. The latter transforms these 5A-reduced metabolites into a subclass of neuro-active steroid hormones with distinct physiological function. The neuro-active steroid hormones modulate multitude of functions in human physiology encompassing regulation of sexual differentiation, neuro-protection, memory enhancement, anxiety, sleep and stress, among others. In addition, 5α -reductase type 3 is also implicated in the N-glycosylation of proteins via formation of dolichol phosphate.

This explains the side effects, why this continues upon discontinuation of the drug is what medical science needs to figure out.