+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default 4,571 grafts with Dr Wong

Hi,

I'm 28 years old and my story goes something like this: I began to notice my hairline was receding at roughly 21. I say "roughly" because I had always had a high hairline and so I'm not 100% sure at what point denial gave way to reality...having a vast expanse of forehead to begin with allows one to be *ahem* generous in appraising the situation for a while. However, over the next few years, it became increasingly obvious that I was thinning down the middle of my head and when photos revealed a similarly sparse crown, I knew I couldn't just bury my head in the sand (although that's literally what I felt like doing).
    This is where I need to point out, as many others have done before me, that this website was an absolute godsend as both a research tool and a source of motivation to accomplish my goals. I have friends who have full heads of hair and friends who have shaved heads. Thats it. I know literally nobody (in and around my age group) who is simply thinning, so conversations about hair loss were non-existant. That's what made this site so great, it assured me of the fact that there were huge numbers of men out there actively fighting their hair loss and that it was possible.
    Also, as I mentioned, this forum is a great research tool. After careful consideration of the many names and options that crop up on here on a regular basis, the stand out candidate, for me, was Hasson & Wong. Reviews were consistently excellent and any results I had seen, either on their website or via peoples personal stories, were extremely impressive.
    Having swapped the email equivalents of war & peace with Christina and Daria, I was booked in for July 18th with Dr Wong and made the long trek from Ireland to Vancouver last week.
    On the day of my surgery, I met Dr Wong and we went through the plan of action. Prior to this he had told me that he felt that 4000 grafts were neccessary, but this was slightly above my budget and we agreed on a smaller number of grafts. I was perfectly happy with this situation. I thought I'd get my hairline taken care of and add some density to other areas. If it wasn't enough for total coverage, I could live with it. However on the day, Dr Wong told me that after coming all that way, he was going to give me what I needed, but at the price arranged. Within two minutes of meeting him, I'd already been completely confident in my choice of clinic, but this was the icing on the cake.It was an extremely generous gesture on his part and I'm eternally grateful.
    Dr Wong numbed me up and the fun began. There was a Dr visiting from Spain and it was a really interesting experience for me to listen to them talking shop and comparing techniques while Dr Wong took the strip.
    In the end, he got 4,571 grafts....4,571! To say I was ecstatic would be an understatement, but there was no time for back slapping, now it was slit time.
    Dr Wong made the incisions (completely pain free) and then the techs got going. These girls are great and were always aware of the fact that it's a long and sometimes uncomfortable experience. They made sure I got a break whenever I needed it and always made sure that I knew I could get up and stretch or take a bathroom break at any time. For the most part though, I spent my afternoon watching movies and taking naps. All in all, the whole process took about ten hours.
    After a surprisingly good nights sleep, I went back to the clinic the next day to have my hair washed (which feels really, really good after a long day of cutting and planting) and also got a snazzy new hair cut from Carmen, which gave me less of a kevin from "The Office" look. I also got everything I'd need post-op (antibiotics, shampoo etc.) and had a chat with Joe.
    Then it was back to Dublin and I have to say, I forgot this piece of advice from spex: Bring one of those horseshoe travel pillows! It would have made my trip a lot more tolerable.
    So now I'm exactly seven days on from my HT. I had some swelling around my forehead and the bridge of my nose from days 3-5, which has now completely gone. I'm getting occasional bouts of intense itchiness, but nothing unmanageable and I'm finding it's easiest to sleep when propped up on 2/3 pillows. Other than that, everything is good so far, the redness has calmed down and I've had no pain whatsoever since the surgery.
    The whole process was made made very comfortable by Dr Wong and all his staff, I really can't thank them enough for the care they showed and the interest they took in me as an individual rather than "another patient". It's a long flight, a big expense and the culmination of many years of stress to arrive at Dr Wong's doorstep and I think he and everyone there really understand that and do their level best to make sure you go home feeling positive about your experience with them.
    As I said, this website has been invaluable to me and rather than just take what I need and run, I'm hoping that my story can be of use to someone else in the future. I'll be posting pictures after I take my staples out and then every month, but for now here's a few before and afters, thanks for reading (and helping along the way!)
    Carl

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0322 revised[1].jpg

Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	16092

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg

Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	16093

Name:	IMG_0325 revised[1].jpg

Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	16094

Name:	IMG_0324 revised[1].jpg

Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	16095

Name:	IMG_0327.jpg

Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	16096

Name:	hartastic 002.jpg

Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	16097

Name:	hartastic 003.jpg

Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	16098

Name:	hartastic 004.jpg

Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	16099

Name:	hartastic 005.jpg

Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	16100

Name:	hartastic 006.jpg

Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	16101

Thumbs up

It’s great to read posts like this. Congratulations on your procedure and thank you for coming back and sharing your experience for the benefit of other BTT users.

By the way, you look great!

Thanks Winston, now the waiting game begins!

So, getting your staples out is no fun...who knew?
    2 weeks on now and I'm becoming quite attached to these new little hairs...breaking up will be hard to do, but inevitable, I know.
    Hopefully now that I'm staple free, sleeping will be a little easier. It's actually become more uncomfortable as the days go by. Not painful as such, just awkward. That and the scabs are the only unpleasant after effects so far.
    Scabs started forming heavily at around day 9. I shampoo'd my scalp for a little longer than usual and massaged slightly more aggressively. I'm basically scab free now, other than my crown which is being stubborn.
    Anyway, I know there's not much progress from last time, but here's a few 2 week post surgery pics.

Name:	revised 086.jpg

Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	16147Click image for larger version

Name:	more post op 006.jpg

Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	16157Click image for larger version

Name:	more post op 004.jpg

Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	16167Click image for larger version

Name:	more post op 002.jpg

Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	16172Click image for larger version

Name:	more post op 001.jpg

Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	16173

Quote Originally Posted by carl1983 View Post
    So, getting your staples out is no fun...who knew?
    2 weeks on now and I'm becoming quite attached to these new little hairs...breaking up will be hard to do, but inevitable, I know.
    Hopefully now that I'm staple free, sleeping will be a little easier. It's actually become more uncomfortable as the days go by. Not painful as such, just awkward. That and the scabs are the only unpleasant after effects so far.
    Scabs started forming heavily at around day 9. I shampoo'd my scalp for a little longer than usual and massaged slightly more aggressively. I'm basically scab free now, other than my crown which is being stubborn.
    Anyway, I know there's not much progress from last time, but here's a few 2 week post surgery pics.

Attachment 16147Attachment 16157Attachment 16167Attachment 16172Attachment 16173
    Looks great! So how does it look now?

Quote Originally Posted by HelpROGER View Post
    Looks great! So how does it look now?
    I'm losing a few of the new hairs here and there, but not in the way I had expected. I kind of thought they'd come out en masse over the space of a couple of days, but it's really just one or two every now and again. Anyway, not much different now than I was when I last posted. It'll be four weeks on Wednesay, so I'll take a few photos tonight/tomorrow and get them up.

Default **4 week update**

So, four weeks on and the first significant amount of hair came out in the shower last night. I'd been secretly hoping that I would be some sort of miracle patient and experience no shed of my new found friends, but, alas, the best laid plans...
    Although it wasn't the instant quick fix I had been hoping for, removing the staples has made sleeping an awful lot more comfortable. Truth be told, I had maybe 3/4 days afterwards that were still a little uncomfortable, but am now feeling back to normal. Also, the tightness around my donor area has gone, as have the last sensations of numbness I had been feeling around the recipient area.
    I've ventured out on very short missions without a hat on too. Not because I'm 100% comfortable with how my hair looks, but just to let my hat know who's boss every now and again...we'll see how that works out as this shed continues!
    Anyway, here's a few 4 week post surgery pictures. I tried to get some different lighting conditions as I felt a few of the pictures might have been a bit flattering when there has, in fact, been some loss/thinning at this stage. Also, I'll let my hair grow out a bit so that it's easer to start showing pictures of my scar next time I update.

Name:	4 weeks post-op 001.jpg

Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	16363Click image for larger version

Name:	4 weeks post-op 002.jpg

Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	16364Click image for larger version

Name:	4 weeks post-op 003.jpg

Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	16365 Click image for larger version

Name:	4 weeks post-op 004.jpg

Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	16366Click image for larger version

Name:	4 weeks post-op 005.jpg

Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	16367Click image for larger version

Name:	4 weeks post-op revised.jpg

Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	16368

Name:	4 weeks post-op 007.jpg

Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	16369Click image for larger version

Name:	4 weeks post-op 008.jpg

Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	16370Click image for larger version

Name:	4 weeks post-op 009.jpg

Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	16371

Looking good, man. In a few months I think you'll be much happier. Dr. Wong is a good doctor, I know. Their price per graft is pretty good compared with other well known doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by VictimOfDHT View Post
    Looking good, man. In a few months I think you'll be much happier. Dr. Wong is a good doctor, I know. Their price per graft is pretty good compared with other well known doctors.
    I'm not worried. I know the results Dr Wong gets...I just have to try and avoid analysing my hair every single day!
    I had a big, big shed a day or two after posting those pictures, but what's left seems to be fairly stable now.
    Yeah, their prices are very fair. Certainly in comparison to Ireland. There's pretty much ONE guy with a decent reputation here, but he's charging 10 euro per graft, for strip! And to be honest, his results are pretty average compared to H&W or the other well known North American doctors.

Looking good Carl1983 how did you find the overall experience of traveling to and from Vancouver I'm from Ireland too its a heck of a track but I guess its worth it . As far as being on meds how is that working for you I've found it near impossible to get my hands on propeci. Best of luck with the growing btw.