+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Help with Hairloss advice

Hi guys

I am 31 year old male.

For the last few years my front hairline has been thinning. I can still just about cover it up and I am desperate for it to not get any worse.

I have been reading up on line and I see mixed stories about taking propecia.

I see that I can get this within the UK from reputable online pharmacists and I am wondering whether to give it a shot.

As far as I can tell I have no other locations with hair loss issues other than at the front.

Is propecia likely to help with this and should I also look to complimenting this with Regaine?

As no one else in my family, even going up many generations, seems to have this issue I wonder if there could be something I am doing to my hair to cause this thinning rather than standard genetics - I wash my hair everyday with standard head and shoulders shampoo - I assume that this could not cause it?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks a lot

Satch

Quote Originally Posted by satch View Post
    Hi guys

I am 31 year old male.

For the last few years my front hairline has been thinning. I can still just about cover it up and I am desperate for it to not get any worse.

I have been reading up on line and I see mixed stories about taking propecia.

I see that I can get this within the UK from reputable online pharmacists and I am wondering whether to give it a shot.

As far as I can tell I have no other locations with hair loss issues other than at the front.

Is propecia likely to help with this and should I also look to complimenting this with Regaine?

As no one else in my family, even going up many generations, seems to have this issue I wonder if there could be something I am doing to my hair to cause this thinning rather than standard genetics - I wash my hair everyday with standard head and shoulders shampoo - I assume that this could not cause it?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks a lot

Satch
    Same with me bro. Family have full heads of hair at least until their 40s. I'm balding quite fast and I'm only 23.

I advise you not to touch finasteride because there is very little chance it can work on the hairline. You might go through a bad shed which a lot of people have experienced and end up worse.

It works best for diffuse thinners and crown spots.

There are other alternatives to FIN, you just have to look for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    There are other alternatives to FIN, you just have to look for them.
    There are no legitimate alternatives to Finasteride at this time. Advising someone to do anything other than talk to a doctor about it is unethical.

If I were a guy, I would have no trouble considering Finasteride. It's the only medication that is legitimately proven to treat and arrest hereditary hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    There are no legitimate alternatives to Finasteride at this time. Advising someone to do anything other than talk to a doctor about it is unethical.

If I were a guy, I would have no trouble considering Finasteride. It's the only medication that is legitimately proven to treat and arrest hereditary hair loss.
    That it possibly one of the most idiotic things I've ever read on this forum.

Beleive me, If you were a guy, your sexual ability will be more important to you than your hair loss, specially when it comes to possible PERMENANT side effects.
    I don't know how any guy can consider propecia when the following is stated clearly in their website:

"In general use, the following have been reported: breast tenderness and enlargement (tell your doctor about any changes in your breasts such as lumps, pain, or nipple discharge); depression; decrease in sex drive that continued after stopping the medication; allergic reactions including rash, itching, hives, and swelling of the lips and face; problems with ejaculation that continued after stopping medication; testicular pain; difficulty in achieving an erection that continued after stopping the medication; male infertility and/or poor quality of semen; and, in rare cases, male breast cancer. Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or that does not go away."

Quote Originally Posted by neversaynever View Post
    That it possibly one of the most idiotic things I've ever read on this forum.
    Oh no, there have been much more idiotic things said than that on here. In fact some of it comes from you.

I am smart enough to be able to see through the fear mongering and look at the real data. I also know there are ways to avoid the possible side effects while still gaining the proven benefits of the medication.

I personally know many males who are taking Finasteride. Not one of them has experienced the possible side effects.

Oh no, there have been much more idiotic things said than that on here. In fact some of it comes from you.

I am smart enough to be able to see through the fear mongering and look at the real data. I also know there are ways to avoid the possible side effects while still gaining the proven benefits of the medication.

I personally know many males who are taking Finasteride. Not one of them has experienced the possible side effects.
    I dont disagree with that point. I think the likelyhood of getting sexual sides is far higher than Merck orginally said. But I also think theres alot of fear mongering too. Its a middle ground thing....rather than one is right and one is wrong.

Its the "if i were a man" statement which is idiotic. I'm not being sexist, but I think you're under estimating the fear of not being able to sustain an erection. Sure the negatives of fin are discussed alot more than the positives, but you are flying the FDA flag with a very silly statement there.

Quote Originally Posted by neversaynever View Post
    ...but you are flying the FDA flag with a very silly statement there.
    I'm not "flying the FDA flag". I'm going with other reliable data that is independent of Merck.

Except it's not reliable data Tracy. How many times have I got to say this:

The studies are NOT representative of people taking Propecia. They typically are biased in that they (intentionally or otherwise) exclude men who are 1) young, and/or 2) with less aggressive balding/lower on the Norwood scale.

This point is ignored by every person who defends and promotes Propecia. I've yet to read a satisfactory defence. Don't tell me it's not important. It's a blatant methodological flaw.

Merck were caught out 5 years back lying about the cardiovascular impacts of some NSAID's they had released to the public, the FDA released & approved the product but it was recalled after numerous reports of cardiovascular failure and heart attacks, only later did they discover through numerous investigations that Merck had fabricated parts of the clinical trial to make the side effects appear less prominent than they actually were.

Tracy C why dont you message a guy on this forum called "PropeciaVictim" and ask him about how safe a drug finasteride is.

Also visit propeciahelp and have a chat with a guy called "Mew". Please do these two things before commenting again on finasteride.