Default Levoxyl VS Armour

Dear Dr. Redmond,
    In your experience which thryroid medicine is the friendliest to the hair? I have been taking Levoxyl 0.05 for a few years now and even though my blood tests are within normal range, I am exhausted much of the time (and cold, and having trouble losing weight). I have a friend feeling wonderful on Armour. Do you think Armour is a more natrual choice and is it hair friendly?

Medical Advisor Geoffrey Redmond, MD, FACE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Dear Dr. Redmond,
    In your experience which thryroid medicine is the friendliest to the hair? I have been taking Levoxyl 0.05 for a few years now and even though my blood tests are within normal range, I am exhausted much of the time (and cold, and having trouble losing weight). I have a friend feeling wonderful on Armour. Do you think Armour is a more natrual choice and is it hair friendly?
    Levoxyl is the best of the different thyroid medications, in my opinion. Armour thyroid has become a fad in recent years but is obsolete. It is basically ground-up pig thyroid obtained in the slaughterhouse and contains substances from inside the thyroid that normally do not enter the blood.. It has no advantages and definite disadvantages. Some may think pig thyroid natural for humans but I do not.

The most hair-friendly way with thyroid treatment is to make sure one's TSH is in the strict normal range between about 1.0 and 2.0.
    Geoffrey Redmond, MD
    The Hormone Help Center of New York http://www.hormonehelpny.com/
    Author, It's Your Hormones

It is not appropriate to make medical diagnoses or treatment recommendations over the internet. Replies to questions intended as general information and not as medical advice for any individual. An appropriate health care provider should be consulted for specific advice.