+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    Before I try to argue that, where did you read those stats on hairloss by country? 'Cause I don't want to waste time typing up why that doesn't matter if it's not true anyway.
    Dunno about stats, but I've got a very mixed group of friends in London. Ive noticed the the guys with high protein, fish and coconut diets (over generations, not just one lifetime) have far less balding before 30, maybe 40.

Ive noticed it all since i started losing hair.

Ive noticed, without doubt, that barely any chinese guys go bald before 30. Soy?

Theres definately a link, but its a thing thats done over generations, not just one lifetime.

My family history is filled with crap food, alcoholics, vegetarians, way too much flour products, barely any protein. Balding is a huge problem for me, my brother, and cousins. Even though i barely drink and eat healthy.

I think plenty of asians (indian and oriental) go bald, but I think far less go bald before theyre 30. especially in the orientals.

Or maybe its all how Im perceiving it. Who knows. But given the strong link between soy, equol and dht....its not so outrageous. Im not saying diet is the root of it all. Just something that can play a part in it all...

If the effects are seen over generations despite one member eating healthy, your anecdotes safely point to genetics, not food. Unless the implication is that food alters the genetic material in the sperm. Seems to me that at best, food can affect the taste of cum. I seriously doubt it has much of an effect on the genetic material.

No comment on how I found that it affects the taste.

Thing is with these "stats" - regarding geographical locations and differences in appearances of hair loss etc is that there can be MILLIONS of explanations as to why a certain people/tribe dont experience hair loss.

You can eat fish oil until you go blue in the face, but if your X chromosome has the genetic variant that triggers the onslaught of MPB - NOTHING but some kind of gene therapy can stop it.

Trying to stop hair loss with something like fish oil is like trying to plug a burst dam with a needle.

Bottom line is we need better treatments, there is a serious unmet medical need here that needs addressing.

Quote Originally Posted by neversaynever View Post
    Its totally ignorant. FOOD plays big part in the health of hair. Im not saying that once youre going bald, a diet change will reverse it. But generations of people eating certain food...seems to lead to less baldness.
    so true...if only i had learnt this many many years ago, instead i learnt about the "big 3" -> if anything the big 3 is as much of a snake oil as the product being talked about in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    If the effects are seen over generations despite one member eating healthy, your anecdotes safely point to genetics, not food. Unless the implication is that food alters the genetic material in the sperm. Seems to me that at best, food can affect the taste of cum. I seriously doubt it has much of an effect on the genetic material.

No comment on how I found that it affects the taste.
    I agree that it comes down to genetics. But is it possible that generations of the right food can hold off baldness until they are around 40 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by gutted View Post
    so true...if only i had learnt this many many years ago, instead i learnt about the "big 3" -> if anything the big 3 is as much of a snake oil as the product being talked about in this thread!
    Some people get results with the big 3 though...

Ive never understood why Nizoral is apart of the big 3 - is it REALLY as effective as FIN & Minox?

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    Thing is with these "stats" - regarding geographical locations and differences in appearances of hair loss etc is that there can be MILLIONS of explanations as to why a certain people/tribe dont experience hair loss.

You can eat fish oil until you go blue in the face, but if your X chromosome has the genetic variant that triggers the onslaught of MPB - NOTHING but some kind of gene therapy can stop it.

Trying to stop hair loss with something like fish oil is like trying to plug a burst dam with a needle.

Bottom line is we need better treatments, there is a serious unmet medical need here that needs addressing.
    Although I do agree that there are numerous approaches that one should take to maintain a healthy scalp and hair. I believe it’s attainable. Diet matters and the reason why fish oil helps is simple. It’s the same mechanism that fish oils use as it aids joint pain which doctors have been talking about for years. It’s creating a fatty cushion that allows joints or in this cases the scalp reasonable dermal thickness. The increased cushion should help with the downward pressure on the scalp and alleviate the reduced blood flow. Soy products on the other hand work in a way like Propecia does shrinking the prostate and down regulating DHT and up regulating Estragon. Genetics are by far the lowest factor. The real problem is we have 100 things in this country contributing to hair loss and everybody's trying 1, 2, or 3 of them only seeing mild to lacking results. We need more people making dramatic life changing choices so that people can see your hair is in your control and it is not genetic.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    Ive never understood why Nizoral is apart of the big 3 - is it REALLY as effective as FIN & Minox?
    No it isn't. Nizoral is not a stand alone treatment for hereditary hair loss at all - but it is a helpful adjunct to stand alone treatments when used properly.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/wome.../treatment.asp

Correlation isn't cause. Even if it's true that fewer "Asian guys" experience MPB (never saw a study showing this to be the case, ever), there are many reasons why this might be, the most obvious being genetics. Saying "oh it must be the fish" is like saying "oh it must be the Pokemon trading cards." It was clearly a link pulled out of somebody's ass.
    Genetics are already known to determine whether you will have MPB. This is already known. There is no question on this, no debate.
    The Big 3 aren't snake oil because they are already known to increase and maintain hair count for years; I used to say most men can stay above baseline on these treatments for 5-6 years but WarLord graciously corrected me and pointed out that a majority of responders actually stay above baseline for longer than a decade assuming consistent use. (The decline in average hair count over time is due to the minority of users who don't maintain.)
    Lifestyle balding is a wives tale that started in ancient times when people rubbed dung into their scalps hoping to grow their hair back.

Now I'll bail on this forum for another few days so others can continue recycling junk guesses (not real theories by any means) and pretending there are mysteries in hair loss where none exist. As if this is 1950 and not 2012.

Final note: Occam's Razor. USE IT.

Peace out.