+ Reply to Thread

Default Question regarding redish recipient after using rubbing alcohol 30 days post op

Hi, I got sick last night with a big headache & vomitting. I'm a bit worried because I put some rubbing alcohol on my head/recipient area to decrease the pain and Now my recipient is redish. I'm 30 days post op. Should I be worry? Or Since I'm 30 days post-op the vomiting and alcohol shouldn't affect my grafts in a negative way?Replies apreciated.

I don't think you did any damage 30 days out.

I second PayDay's comment. My doctor told me that after 7-10 days, the grafts are completely healed & anchored to the scalp, and there's not much that can be done to get them to come out. So, you should be fine. But since I am not a doctor, maybe you can give your doctor's office a quick call to put your mind at ease! :-)

I appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Haber, MD View Post
    Strong:

While I don't think putting rubbing alcohol on your head is the most effective treatment for a headache, the grafts should not be at risk 30 days after a hair transplant. Its true that after at most one week, nothing short of direct trauma would put the grafts at much risk. We usually recommend longer periods of being careful, but that's mainly to give ourselves a comfortable margin of safety.

If by any chance you've been to Mexico in the past month, you should have your symptoms checked out by your doctor immediately.

Swine flu maybe?

Strong,

The alchohol can definitely cause the redness of your scalp and can cause major dryness. It's also one of the potential side-effects from minoxidil based products due to the high level of alchohol and PG inactive ingredients.

Hope everything works out for you and you DON'T have the flu!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Hi to all, Dr. Hader, Once again I'm glad to hear that I'm out of any risk 1 month post-op. I wasn't in mexico and I'm not sick any longer.
    Gillenator, Thanks god is not swine flu but I did get kind of a flu. The redness occur a day after using rubbing alcohol but now everything is normal. Thanks for all the replies and info.

Quote Originally Posted by strong View Post
    Hi to all, Dr. Hader, Once again I'm glad to hear that I'm out of any risk 1 month post-op. I wasn't in mexico and I'm not sick any longer.
    Gillenator, Thanks god is not swine flu but I did get kind of a flu. The redness occur a day after using rubbing alcohol but now everything is normal. Thanks for all the replies and info.

Very cool Strong, glad to hear you are doing much better!
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Thanks gillenator. appreciate it.