+ Reply to Thread

Default How Often Does Everyone Shampoo Their Hair?

I've heard that it may not be good to shampoo your hair every day. However, I go to the gym a lot and if I don't shampoo after a workout, then my scalp gets all dirty and itchy. And then before I go out, I shampoo quite a bit with a hair thickening shampoo which makes my hair look better.

1x per week with keto 2%. 1, sometimes 2, times per week with glycerin soap. Other days I just use water and rubbing.

Lol if your avoiding to shampoo your hair than your just in denial of your hairloss. Its important to keep your hair clean, it wont do any good by not washing it.

If I go more than 48 hours without washing my hair looks awful.

Keep your hair clean, but ultimately it's that pesky DHT you need to take care of.

This is counter intuitive but daily shampooing actually can compromise cleanliness by stimulating excess sebum production, and it can also promote irritation. Cutting from 7+ shampoos weekly down to 2-3 was a huge psychological challenge for me, because I'm sort of OCD about cleanliness, but within a couple weeks my scalp was far less oily. It's been a surprising, but pleasant improvement. After going 24-32 hours without washing, I used to have noticeable buildup back when I shampooed daily, but now no longer. I never would have imagined before that my scalp would become cleaner with fewer chemical washes.
    It is important to keep the hair and scalp clean, but for most this only requires daily washing with clean water (I always brush or comb after washing, then towel dry), and only shampooing every few days (even my frequency may be more than necessary but again, I'm a bit obsessive about these things)
    This advice might not be applicable to people who need to wash out certain chemicals that they use every day like concealers, minoxidil, some styling products, etc.

I would also avoid hot water (try cool to luke warm), and avoid soap or shampoos with sulfates (picked that tip up from Tracy and it seems to have cut my shedding down--SLS and ALS for some people are quite irritating).

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedByHairLoss View Post
    I've heard that it may not be good to shampoo your hair every day.
    If you use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner you can wash every day. I use Dermmatch concealer and Rogaine. I cannot put my evening dose of Rogaine on if I have concealer in my hair, therefore I need to wash every day. So I use sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. I do wash once or twice a week with Nizoral A-D though.