+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What can you tell me about the Laser comb?

Among all the hairloss treatments out there, I've begun to look into the laser comb. I'm wondering if anyone (possibly Tracy c as I know she is a proponent of it) could educate me on the laser comb. I know it's effectiveness is debatable however I am attracted to the idea of It's one time cost and FDA approval. What kind of expectations should I have if I do use the laser comb and is what is the best way to use it in terms of how long for how often? Also is there any one brand that seems superior. Healthier hair and a little more fullness would be enough to sell me on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lucrio View Post
    Among all the hairloss treatments out there, I've begun to look into the laser comb. I'm wondering if anyone (possibly Tracy c as I know she is a proponent of it) could educate me on the laser comb. I know it's effectiveness is debatable however I am attracted to the idea of It's one time cost and FDA approval. What kind of expectations should I have if I do use the laser comb and is what is the best way to use it in terms of how long for how often? Also is there any one brand that seems superior. Healthier hair and a little more fullness would be enough to sell me on it.
    it will work to a small degree about as affective as getting sunshine on your scalp from 6-9AM depending on when the sunrises. It sounds like your expectations are not that high and you will get your moneys worth.

Quote Originally Posted by beatinghairloss View Post
    it will work to a small degree about as affective as getting sunshine on your scalp from 6-9AM depending on when the sunrises. It sounds like your expectations are not that high and you will get your moneys worth.
    Oh btw I would never advise an NW7 to rub this thing on there head in the hopes of becoming even an NW6 it just wont happen with that alone.

Thanks for the response, what would the hair regrowth potential be with a laser comb compared to say rogaine?

Thumbs up

In terms of an overall judgement, I think the jury will remain out for some time. There are plenty of arguements either way. My personal thoughts are that as an adjunct therapy (to Propecia and Minoxidil) it is worth a look. I use all three and feel that I have benefited from each of them. If your goal is maintenance as opposed to regrowth, you are more likely to achieve a positive result. There are plenty of people who debate the FDA clearance (as opposed to approval) and it's implications, this being one of a multitude of contentious issues related to it.

Check these resources out and see what you think:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19366270

http://www.baldingblog.com/2006/01/2...s-with-photos/

http://www.thebaldtruth.com/featured...he-laser-comb/

http://www.hairtransplantadviser.org...-laser-debate/

To be fair I have read testimonials that laser combs have benefited some people.

It's just that I don't understand how they're supposed to work.

I file it under 'experimental treatments'. Fin and minox being the main ones.

Also, if someone used the laser comb in conjunction with more conventional treatments, how would they know what benefit came from the comb?

I know it's effectiveness is debatable however I am attracted to the idea of It's one time cost and FDA approval.
    If you had a chance to read and pay attention to the many posts in hair loss forums, one thing you will notice is that many of those suffering with hereditary hair loss have an "all or nothing" attitude about effectiveness. What that means is if they are not able to restore to their juvenile hair line with a treatment, they feel that treatment does not work at all. Even if that treatment can improve their hair, arrest their hair loss or grow some of their hair back. They apply this attitude to all treatments. Not just the laser comb.

I do not know if the laser comb actually makes hair that has already gone start to grow again. I do know that the laser comb does do some things that are beneficial to those who are treating their hair loss. It increases the caliber of the hair that you have. It increases the strength of the hair that you have. It improves the quality of the hair that you have, including hair the has grown back from using Rogaine. Lastly, It makes your hair grow faster. Many of these guys do not see any of those four benefits as being anything appreciable. I disagree. I think each one of those four benefits are appreciable, especially for a diffuse thinner.

it will work to a small degree about as affective as getting sunshine on your scalp from 6-9AM depending on when the sunrises.
    I actually use it. I know how well it works. It's more effective than that.

Oh btw I would never advise an NW7 to rub this thing on there head in the hopes of becoming even an NW6 it just wont happen with that alone.
    Both the promotional information and the instructions for the laser comb very clearly state that it is for men who are Norwood 2 through Norwood 5 and women of specific Ludwig classes. It clearly states that it can not do anything for a man who is beyond Norwood 5.

Not everyone is a good candidate for the laser comb or any other form of LLLT. I am very well aware than many Norwood 6's and 7's have tried the laser comb and they complained that it did not work for them. Well, the pre-sales documentation told them that it would not work for them - but they bought it anyways. You can lead a person to information but you can't make them read it. Many of the negative reviews you will read are from people who were actually not good candidates for LLLT.

Thanks for the response, what would the hair regrowth potential be with a laser comb compared to say rogaine?
    When I first started treating my hair loss, I used the laser comb alone without any other treatments. I did observe that my hair improved dramatically, noticeably and appreciably. I could not tell if any lost hair was growing back.

After that first six months of using the laser comb by itself, I added Rogaine to my treatment. Sometime between four and six months of using both Rogaine and my laser comb, it was obvious that some hair was growing back.

Quote Originally Posted by stratofortress View Post
    It's just that I don't understand how they're supposed to work.
    I don't understand how it works either. However, I do believe the snarky remark about sunshine made earlier in this thread provides a clue.

Thanks for all the responses. As I would really not expect a lot of regrowth from the Laser comb and am interested in it mainly for improving hair quality, fullness, and hopefully maintenance, I feel like it will probably be beneficial to me. Im going to look around for a good deal online to buy one. I feel like it couldn't hurt to try it.

Im going to look around for a good deal online to buy one.
    You need to be aware that the FDA clearance applies only to the laser comb models offered by Hairmax. There are many other hand held laser devices on the market, but the FDA clearance does not apply to them. There are also helmet laser devices available, but the FDA clearance does not apply to those either.

Another important detail you need to know is that if you buy a laser comb directly through Hairmax, you will get a 20 week money back guarantee. 20 weeks is plenty of time to determine if it is helping you or not. I am aware that Bosley and other clinics offer the same laser comb with their own name printed onto them, but as far as I know they do not offer a money back guarantee. Even though it is the exact same device Hairmax offers.

I would be leery of buying one anywhere else online. You won't know if you are getting a genuine device or a cheap counterfeit.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

There are several other laser companies that are in the process of getting their laser device FDA cleared. I agree that its benefits are only noticeable in some patients and not in others. I tell my patients that the lasers probably have more effect on the quality of a persons hair versus the quantity of hair. In some patients by improving the quality of the hair it gives the appearence of more hair.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile