+ Reply to Thread

Default How to stop or slow down hair loss?

I have a, as my brother describes it, an M shaped hairline. However, I am lucky enough to otherwise still have a full head of hair. I'm only 20, however, and my dad had all of his hair at my age, and he's very thin on top now at 50. His father was the same, so it looks like I might get there quicker.

Anyway, I want to stop it where it is if I can, or at least slow it down.

I've read a little about finasteride. Does a doctor have to prescribe that? What other worthwhile products are out there?

Awaiting Tracy C....

There should be an auto-post feature somewhere here that just says to look into the big three and strongly consider the risks of finasteride before using it. I agree, Tracy C can write it. If you ask me, I'd cut the stuff she adds about the laser comb, but if it works for anyone, it's (I suuuppose) worth mentioning.

Here's the skinny, bub: monoxidil (Rogaine) and Nizoral shampoo will help somewhat, but the most effect treatment for hairloss is finasteride. By and large, nothing else works at all, so far as we've found. There are some new treatments on the way, but aside from a few experimentals, they are all a few years out.

Finasteride can **** you up, so some people (like myself) choose to just let nature take it's course for our hair. But honestly, side effects are rare and serious side effects are even more so, so I wouldn't think anyone were stupid for using finasteride despite the risk. For the most part, that's your choice (for now). Either get on finasteride or start coming to terms with hairloss.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Zuck View Post
    I've read a little about finasteride. Does a doctor have to prescribe that?
    Yes. You need to talk about that one with a doctor before taking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuck View Post
    What other worthwhile products are out there?
    "Worthwhile" is subjective. There are only two medications that are approved by the FDA to treat hereditary hair loss. They are Propecia/Proscar (Finasteride) and Rogaine (Minoxidil). One medical laser device, the Hairmax Laser Comb, has been FDA cleared to treat hereditary hair loss. If you do not have thinning in the vertex and/or mid-anterior areas of your scalp, Rogaine is not appropriate for you.

Nizoral shampoo has been shown to help with the above proven treatments but it itself is not a stand alone treatment for hereditary hair loss.

Switching your shampoo and conditioner to sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner will help keep your scalp healthy.