+ Reply to Thread

Default Is the neck line possible to use as donor ?

Just a thought which may be usefull for those of us with large areas to cover an have an average donor area .

Is it possible to use the neck hairline hair for transplant ? The idea is to have hair follicles to be taken from the hairline at the neck in a way that the new line moves upwards (say half a cm or more ) . The extraction method i am suggesting is FUE of course . I dont exactly know how much but there woul be a amount of extra donor hair that could be used where its needed most this way ?

So the 2 main questions are ;

1- is the hair from the neck hair line any good for transplanting ?

2- would the needle / micromotor scars fully heal after a while on the bare skin so that no one would notice the neck line is moved up .

158 views and not a single reply ?

Come on baldies whats the matter with you ?

I'm fairly new here, but from what I understand, those hairs aren't considered in the "safe zone" and may miniaturize later on.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnytr View Post
    Just a thought which may be usefull for those of us with large areas to cover an have an average donor area .

Is it possible to use the neck hairline hair for transplant ? The idea is to have hair follicles to be taken from the hairline at the neck in a way that the new line moves upwards (say half a cm or more ) . The extraction method i am suggesting is FUE of course . I dont exactly know how much but there woul be a amount of extra donor hair that could be used where its needed most this way ?

So the 2 main questions are ;

1- is the hair from the neck hair line any good for transplanting ?

2- would the needle / micromotor scars fully heal after a while on the bare skin so that no one would notice the neck line is moved up .
    There are some hair transplant surgeons who do claim that nape or neck hair can be utilized safely, however I think the majority of respected surgeons would disagree. Scaring is not always dictated by the size of the FUE tool that the surgeon uses to extract the follicles so it is possible that you can be left with visible, small scars on the back of your neck. Sun exposure could also play a role in the visibility of those scars. Nape hair should probably only be used as a last resort for severe repair cases.

Thanks for the reply guys , i have heard of this guy through a friend .
    He had this procedure done to him and apparently there are no scars etc in the donor
    area . He basicly had the neckline moved up 1cm or so . Any grefts in that area were removed and used for densening the top . Still trying to get hold of the guy thorugh internet at the moment .

Dont understand why they would not be in the safe zone for donor hair , i have never seen a man with neck hairs fallen off .

Chicago,Il. (the best city in the United States)

I had been thinking the same thing. The back of my neck leading down towards my back has a lot of permanent hairs. So much so that i need to shave it off from time to time.

It would be nice for one of the HT doctors to answer this question really .

vinnytr,

Visible scarring varies between individuals. And visible scarring can vary on different locations of the body on the same person.

As far as hair on the lower neck region, it's normally referred to as "nape hair". That hair may or may not be permanent. There is no way IMHO of classifying it as terminal hair eligible for transplantation on younger men.

Some men lose their nape hair as they get older and some do not.

The best way to gauge it IMHO is to look at the older men in your family history who still have it. If it lasts and even turns grey, that's a good sign. BUT, if the men do lose it as they age, then I would not consider it viable for use in transplantation for the obvious reasons.

Some docs like that nape hair because it is usually of finer grade of coarseness and like to use it on the hairline to create a softer look.

But if it can be lost in the future, why use it especially in an extremely high visual impact area like the hairline?

Best wishes to you.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin