+ Reply to Thread

Default Pretty confused need some clarity...

I am 21 and started thinning at the front of my head when I turned 19. So far been using Nizrol shampoo nearly every day and it has maintained it at the level it was when it got thinner, although it may have become slightly thinner recently, not sure.

The thing is my father and his father had full sets of hair until 48 then went rapidly bald, same as one uncle and my other uncle actually still has his full head of hair and does not look like he will be loosing it. My Mothers father had a full set of hair until he died at 70. At the same time I am extremely hairy whereas my dad and his dad is pretty much hairless and my mums dad was hairless.

So all the clues are pointing to high DHT right? Well wrong. I got my levels checked out and they were:

0.491 nmol/L (0.323 - 1.637)

As you can see their near the borderline reference range level for low DHT. it just does not make much sense to me ie thinning very early compared to my family and the fact I'm very hairy lol. Can anyone shed some light?

Hi

The variables involved are numerous as we inherit genes from both sides of the family and they can express themselves in a variety of differant ways. DHT levels are directly impacted by the fact that each person will have their own individual genetic response. It's this personal sensitivity to the hormone that dictates the outcome, rather than the level itself.

guess lowering dht is my case will not really do much then

What 8868alex said. Which is why finasteride is only really moderately effective, not only does it depend on your personal sensitivity to DHT but the fact that some testosterone will always get converted to DHT unless you take doses that practically chemically castrate you, and it really isnt worth it when you go to those extremes.

Have you given Minoxodil a try?

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    What 8868alex said. Which is why finasteride is only really moderately effective, not only does it depend on your personal sensitivity to DHT but the fact that some testosterone will always get converted to DHT unless you take doses that practically chemically castrate you, and it really isnt worth it when you go to those extremes.

Have you given Minoxodil a try?
    I have not, i was under the impression that it was not going to anything for me unless i took propecia which would put me in extremely low levels...