+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

so if I experience itch all over scalp, do I have thinning all over?

Not necessarily... I've always had an itchy scalp (mild psoriasis), but have only been losing my hair for about 8 years. It has been more itchy where I am losing hair, so I would agree that there is a definite correlation, but then the sides sometimes have that feeling as well and they're going nowhere (yet). So, I would say that itching [I]probably[I] indicates where hair is going to be loss, but not always, so don't get too down about it!

Quote Originally Posted by ovoxo View Post
    so if I experience itch all over scalp, do I have thinning all over?
    I normally got the itch only where I was losing hair. The interesting thing is I never had any itch whatsoever at my hairline area. Only vertex/top where I was losing.

Just wanted to resurrect this thread. I've had a very faint burning/tingling sensation on the back of my head for a few days... from the bottom of the neck to about the top of the ears. It isn't present in the crown or vertex areas. I've also experienced some thinning in this area over the last six months or so.

It's not burning so much as a kind of radiating warmth. It's not painful.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I've been applying minoxidil every other night to the back of the head to try to address the thinning. Is this a good idea, or should I hold off? Could it be exacerbating the tingling or loss in that area?

I made this thread 5 months ago, after being on 2 months on propecia. I mentioned that the burning was still going on.

I'm glad to report that after being on it for 7 months, the burning has gone away. It officially went away at about the 4 month mark. I firmly believe it is due to DHT causing reckless abandon on the hair follicles.

Same deal here long time problem for me and hair loss also although its slow. I tried saw palmetto and it made it go away but over time it came back. I just quit because I had sides and figured I may as well just use propecia because I dont think saw palmetto is strong enough. I think for me its DHT related but I need to try finasteride first and see.

I also have a strange story, my scalp itches like crazy, sometimes it wakes me up! I also have bump-like spots on my scalp, but that's not something new. I always had them since like I was 17. Now I am just a few months from turning 30. Anyways, even though I was suffering from MPB for quite a time now, I never ever had this itching before. My scalp was not itchy even when my hair had it's biggest hit in the beginning of 2012. At the time I had been using Fin for like 5 years. Fin should be good for itching, right? Oh sure My itch started when I was on Fin, I doubled the dosage, not a change. Now I am a Dutas user for 5 months, anything changed? NO! This itch is gonna kill me, I am serious.
    One thing I remember, before my itch started I was reading this forum and came up with the idea that how the itch is related to MPB. I said to my self, well at least I don't have it, then I added "haha, now I am gonna start itching just because I read this". It was a joke, but it happened. I am not even sure if my itch is physiologic anymore, I tried lots of things, Nizoral, T-gel, Omega-3, Baking Soda etc etc. None of them helped. Can it be I was asking for it psychologically?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave123 View Post
    I made this thread 5 months ago, after being on 2 months on propecia. I mentioned that the burning was still going on.

I'm glad to report that after being on it for 7 months, the burning has gone away. It officially went away at about the 4 month mark. I firmly believe it is due to DHT causing reckless abandon on the hair follicles.
    After your scalp stopped itching did your hair stop falling out?

I am a diffuse thinner, hair started to drop 3 years ago. My scalp itch stopped 4 months after I started propecia and my hair loss also stopped completely at this time. 4 months later I started losing hair again and the itch returned, I believe, at least for me, this ispretty solid evidence that dying hair follicles are responsible for the itching and tingling. Nizoral does tend to help at least a little though....

Quote Originally Posted by konfusion View Post
    I also have a strange story, my scalp itches like crazy, sometimes it wakes me up! I also have bump-like spots on my scalp, but that's not something new. I always had them since like I was 17. Now I am just a few months from turning 30. Anyways, even though I was suffering from MPB for quite a time now, I never ever had this itching before. My scalp was not itchy even when my hair had it's biggest hit in the beginning of 2012. At the time I had been using Fin for like 5 years. Fin should be good for itching, right? Oh sure My itch started when I was on Fin, I doubled the dosage, not a change. Now I am a Dutas user for 5 months, anything changed? NO! This itch is gonna kill me, I am serious.
    One thing I remember, before my itch started I was reading this forum and came up with the idea that how the itch is related to MPB. I said to my self, well at least I don't have it, then I added "haha, now I am gonna start itching just because I read this". It was a joke, but it happened. I am not even sure if my itch is physiologic anymore, I tried lots of things, Nizoral, T-gel, Omega-3, Baking Soda etc etc. None of them helped. Can it be I was asking for it psychologically?
    Had to bump this old thread as I was am in the same position you were Konfusion. I also swithced to Avodart for five months with no success, this stuff is a curse. Did you have any luck getting the itching and/or shedding to stop?

I am in the same boat though as you guys. I think its MPB related but its a combination of androgens, immune system, and androgen receptors. I will just say I went to a few derms many years ago tried prescription shampoos and steroids nothing ever helped me. I tried every shampoo you can think of nothing really helped more then a day or two.
    I kid you not when I say saw palmetto made it go away, but its a long story and that lead me to believe in my case its androgen related. The big question though is why is one hair more sensitive to androgens then others? It feels like removing most androgens with propecia just causes your hair to adapt to less androgens and carry on how it was. We need more research into receptors and why hair is sensitive.