+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Should I use propecia?

Hi

I'm 18 and from the UK and found out about 6/7 months ago that I have fallen victim to the genetic mutation that bonds us all on this forum - I was going bald at 17!
    I first tried to deny it as we all did - that didn't go well. Then I tried using alpecin a caffeine shampoo hoping to solve the problem cheaply - it was snake oil. I did some internet surfing and found this site and you all seem like a group of very supportive and benevolent people who can help me.
    I then started 5% minox 2x a day and I had the dread shed that thinned out my hair considerably in 3 weeks (I'm a diffuse thinner by the way) but then it subsided and I began to experience regrowth over the next 4 months or so with my hair now approaching its pre-balding thickness.
    About 4 weeks ago I started on azelaic acid once a day as well as minox 2x a day so I don't know if its working or not yet - i'll give it a few months before I make a judgement.
    But now I'm wondering whether or not to use propecia to really get some results and hopefully halt the loss (I already use nizoral as well). But seeing as I'm only 18 I'm wondering whether it is potentially more risky than normal as my secondary sexual characteristics (influenced by DHT) have not fully developed. Would it be better to wait a couple of years or should I just go for it?

Any replies would be welcome. Good luck to everyone and thanks in advance!

I had bad side effects after taking it for 2 months. Stopped in April and still not back to normal. Will I ever be? I'd advise caution to anyone now. You'll get many men telling you it's fine, but my story is proof that the risks are real and you're playing a game of chance with your sexual health. Is it worth it? That's something only you can decide.

The problem is with minox is while it can stimulate growth and in some cases temporarily reverse the loss and thicken hair, in the long term without a DHT blocker it's like throwing buckets of water out of a sinking boat-you need some form of DHT blocker to take control of the loss, especially since you're so young.

It's said that Propecia is safe for men over 18, but it's still not a decision you should take lightly as you'll be on it in the long term.

It's really up to you. The risks are pretty clear and there's really no way to know if you will be one of the unlucky ones. From the two doctors I've spoken to they seem to have seen few people with side effects but it does happen as you see from some of the users on the forum.

It's a slight risk but the pros outweigh the cons IMO. I'm on it and experience no side effects so far. MANY don't experience side effects(my guess is the major side effects affect around 5-10% of the people that take the drug). Side effects do occur and some on here have them but millions take this pill and don't experience it. Take it and if you experience side effects just get off of it! it could save the hair you have.

rdawg, I had the same thought, re: getting off the drug if I had side effects. They don't necessarily go away that easily. You need to bear that in mind before consuming this drug.

Thanks guys for the replies

I've heard that a lot of people start using propecia by starting with 0.1 mg a day and then gradually up the dose to 1 mg a day. Would this prevent sides or just tell me how much propecia I need/can handle?

Also what does everyone think of azelaic acid as a DHT blocker?

Quote Originally Posted by StillHere View Post
    Also what does everyone think of azelaic acid as a DHT blocker?
    Probably useless.

Try perhaps a sitosterol based topical or maybe RU if you're not feeling fin.

Quote Originally Posted by StillHere View Post
    ... azelaic acid as a DHT blocker?

As mentioned probably useless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azelaic_acid

Azelaic acid is used to treat mild to moderate acne,

Should you use Propecia....

I say. No.

I am not a doctor.