Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mary123
    • Nov 2008

exercise AND hair loss--please respond

can exercise cause hair loss? i have read conflicting studies that say that exercise can both increase and reduce testosterone/dht levels.

my last shedding episode (the worst one)--the one that i never fully recovered from was in response to a weight loss and daily exercise program. when i slowed the exercise program and then stopped it--my hair loss stopped a few weeks later, and then i experienced hair growth a month or so later. my exercise program was by no means intensive or rigorous.

listen, i understand the benefits of exercise for our overall well-being. the reason i am asking this question is b/c i want to begin exercising again, but i am terrified--the association for me between exercise and hair loss was pretty evident.

can anyone offer me some clarification on this subject. am i just imaging a connection between hair loss and exercise. what is the science?

i hope someone answers this question. it has been bothering me for a while. i feel stuck.

mary
  • Marianne
    • May 2009

Mary, your hairloss may be more related to a decrease in body fat and a decrease intake of protein that usually occurs when you are trying to lose weight or just exercising. If you are exercising, be sure to consume enough calories and protein. Take a high quality multivitamin and a calcium suppliment with viatmin D. Focus more on health and feeling good verse losing weight.

Comment

• blowmeup
      • Nov 2008

This was also talked about here:

I am working a lot. My weight trainer is bald. But he shaves his head. If I work out a lot will the increase in testosterone increase my risk of hair loss? Is there anything to offset that? Is it a myth? Thanks

Comment

• whoops
        • Sep 2009

exercise

I acknowledge that working out is good for your body but if your hair comes out more i would rather have hair then create another reason for hair loss - what supplements can we take for counteracting this testosterone? What foods? I heard eating grass or wheat juice everyday is good plus scalp exercise and rubbing your fingernails together. I was told no alcohol and no fizzy drinks or sugar as well as a lesser amount of meat. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...