+ Reply to Thread

Default Need feedback - Considering hair transplant seriously

I'm 40 years old, and my hairline started receding when I was 17. I used some over-the-counter treatments for about 6 years until I noticed that it was starting to get really noticeable. I started using Rogaine when I turned 24 and it seemed to help a little, but it continued to slowly recede until I started using Propecia at age 26. My crown was starting to thin at that point, and over the course of about a year or two my crown filled back in using Rogaine, Propecia, and T-Gel shampoo (for the itching).

I stopped using Propecia when I was 37 because it was killing my sex drive, and so I've lately only been using Rogaine (2x a day) and Nizoral shampoo once a day. My hairline has held up pretty well since age 26 because I've been religious about using Rogaine 2x a day, and the Propecia helped to thicken my hair overall.

I have a few questions:

1. Where am I on the Norwood scale (2 or 3?)
    2. For as short as my hair is on the sides (same length in the back), is it long enough to cover the scar?
    3. I've done a lot of research on doctors, and I'm looking at Dr. Brandon M. Ross in San Diego (I'm in Southern Cal). Are there any particular doctors in southern cal that you would recommend for someone like me who's mainly looking to restore my hairline?
    4. Any other thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

I've enclosed a set a pics I took today. I've colored in green where my hairline was at age 17 (from the best of my memory). I'm not sure if I want to go that far back in time with surgery, though.

Thanks for reading!
    BigOneFive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0114.jpg

Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	15946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0115.jpg

Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	15947   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0122.jpg

Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	15948   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0122_green.jpg

Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	15949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0122_hair.jpg

Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	15950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0123.jpg

Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	15951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0129.jpg

Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	15952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0140.jpg

Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	15953   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0141.jpg

Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	15954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0142.jpg

Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	15955  

Default Adding a pic

imag0122.jpg was supposed to be this following image. I doctored it in photoshop to get an idea of around where I'd like to see my hairline again. My actual image is below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0122.jpg

Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	15956  

I wasn't aware there were other medical treatments apart from the big 3 that actually worked. I'd like to have my temples filled in, and maybe lower my frontal hairline about 1/4 inch. Approximately how many grafts would that be? My best guess is between 1000 and 2000, but I'm not sure.

Something to consider

"I'd like to have my temples filled in, and maybe lower my frontal hairline about 1/4 inch. "

Later on you will most probably need another HT to fill in what you 've lost in the area that wasn't transplanted unless you are comfortable enough to live with just 1 and it doesn't look to bad

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE52 View Post
    Something to consider

"I'd like to have my temples filled in, and maybe lower my frontal hairline about 1/4 inch. "

Later on you will most probably need another HT to fill in what you 've lost in the area that wasn't transplanted unless you are comfortable enough to live with just 1 and it doesn't look to bad
    Thanks for the response, Dave. As long as I can continue to use Rogaine and Propecia, I don't know that I'll have that problem. My hairline has been pretty much stable for the last 14 years. It was at its worst at age 26, and I religiously use my daily regimen to keep it where it is.

Can I continue to use rogaine on my hairline after surgery? I'm guessing that you can't while the recipient area is still healing. I would want to use it on the area right behind the recipient area as soon as possible after surgery.

You will be able to continue to use Rogaine after the treatment. Like you said, there will be a short period that you need to avoid it but your doctor will tell you when it is safe to resume.

I have to say, your hair loss looks very subtle and your hairline looks normal for your age. Personally I wouldn't do anything right now. However, since everything is relevant, I and everyone on this site probably know how you’re feeling so good luck with your decision process. Just be sure to research who (Dr.) and which type (FUE or Strip) of HT you decide to go with if you take the plunge.

General rule.......don't let distance dictate who is going to do your procedure. most people travel all over the world to match themselves up with a Dr that is the right fit for them and their goals. Travel expenses are cheap....repair work is not.

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by northeastguy View Post
    I have to say, your hair loss looks very subtle and your hairline looks normal for your age. Personally I wouldn't do anything right now. However, since everything is relevant, I and everyone on this site probably know how you’re feeling so good luck with your decision process.
    Thanks, northeastguy. My wife tells me the same thing, and I probably wouldn't struggle with it so much if it hadn't started receding at such a young age. I know I don't focus on what is still there, mainly on the inch or so that it's receded! It's hard when I remember good, healthy hair being there.

Another question...what is usually the period of time that you cannot use Rogaine after a tranplant? 1 month?

Also, can you use Nizoral right after a transplant?

Quote Originally Posted by bigonefive View Post
    Thanks, northeastguy. My wife tells me the same thing, and I probably wouldn't struggle with it so much if it hadn't started receding at such a young age. I know I don't focus on what is still there, mainly on the inch or so that it's receded! It's hard when I remember good, healthy hair being there.

Another question...what is usually the period of time that you cannot use Rogaine after a tranplant? 1 month?

Also, can you use Nizoral right after a transplant?
    Your wifes right! most guys on here would be envious of what you have. Had I met you in the street, I wouldn't even view you as someone balding. Just make sure this is something you want to do and should you go ahead with it...research everything. Question everything. Think long term.

....3 days for Rogaine and 1 week to return to your normal shampoo. This of course could change based on your Doctors advise so always ask them first.

bigonefive,

I agree with northeastguy be sure that this is something you really want to do hair loss is a life-long process. The frontal hairline is the most important part of a hair restoration, and it is the first thing you see when you look into the mirror. The amount of graft depends on where you would like to place your hairline. You are right the graft numbers will range anywhere from 1,000-2,000 grafts.

Quote Originally Posted by CIT_Girl View Post
    Have you tried any other medical therapy besides Propecia?
    CIT_Girl, what other treatments would you be talking about? I was only aware that Propecia, Minoxidil, and Nizoral were really the only effective treatments available.