+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by WarLord View Post
    i really don't understand, why you are still pulling out this crap about "5-6 years".
    You are referring to a post from mid July (which you already replied to back then).

If your body doesn't produce dht, androgenic alopecia (at least in some marked form) won't happen. Pseudohermaphrodites don't go bald. That's hopefully enough simple, isn't it? All the large-scale studies prove it. The small minority of non-responders then goes to this and other forums, where they whine that all medications lose their efficiacy after "5-6 years". Why should it stop working, for Goodness sake, when the formation of DHT is permanently blocked and the activity of androgens decreases with age?
    Finasteride doesn't stop the body from producing DHT, it just reduces DHT production.

Rossi et al. (2011) documented that only 4 out of 102 patients experienced a reversal of the positive trend started in the 1st year. Do you recognize those four guys? That's you and your colleagues on this forum!
    You are actually quite a bad responder, when you can't keep your hair on finasteride for such a small period of time. I would recommend you to jump on dutasteride or to add minoxidil.
    I'm a good responder so far, as I am above baseline.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    You are referring to a post from mid July (which you already replied to back then).

Finasteride doesn't stop the body from producing DHT, it just reduces DHT production.

I'm a good responder so far, as I am above baseline.
    You don't need to suppress DHT completely. Even small children produce some amount of DHT and they don't get bald.

You don't need to suppress DHT completely. Even small children produce some amount of DHT and they don't get bald.
    You said "If your body doesn't produce dht, androgenic alopecia (at least in some marked form) won't happen." This is why I said the body still produces DHT on fin, which is why someone with suppressed DHT can continue losing hair; the cause is not absolute DHT levels, it is follicular sensitivity to the hormone

You said "If your body doesn't produce dht, androgenic alopecia (at least in some marked form) won't happen." This is why I said the body still produces DHT on fin, which is why someone with suppressed DHT can continue losing hair; the cause is not absolute DHT levels, it is follicular sensitivity to the hormone
    Yes, this is why finasteride is successful "only" in 80-90% men. There may be men with high levels of DHT (something like 100 ng/dl) and finasteride will lower it only on the level of the average male (say, 30-40 ng/dl). But in other cases, it is unlikely that men would be losing hair anytime in the future, because their suppressed DHT levels are close to those of prepubertal children (15 ng/dl or so). How many prepubertal children lose hair?

But in other cases, it is unlikely that men would be losing hair anytime in the future, because their suppressed DHT levels are close to those of prepubertal children (15 ng/dl or so). How many prepubertal children lose hair?
    Unfortunately the absolute level of DHT is not what causes MPB, not by itself at least. Follicular sensitivity to DHT is an inherited trait. This is why men with abnormally low DHT levels can still lose hair, and why men with abnormally high DHT levels can go a lifetime without MPB
    It is also possible that DHT suppression causes an increase in the # of androgen receptors over time, however the studies on this have been small and limited so far.

Unfortunately the absolute level of DHT is not what causes MPB, not by itself at least. Follicular sensitivity to DHT is an inherited trait. This is why men with abnormally low DHT levels can still lose hair, and why men with abnormally high DHT levels can go a lifetime without MPB
    It is also possible that DHT suppression causes an increase in the # of androgen receptors over time, however the studies on this have been small and limited so far.
    It would be fine, if androgen receptors in my muscles increased with the age-related decrease of testosterone concentration. I could then practice body-building in the age of 90.