+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 21 years old...receding hairline

Hello everyone,

This is my first post to this forum. I'm a 21 year old male who is experiencing hair loss. I joined this community to get in on the wealth of knowledge and empower myself with the latest and most up-to-date understandings of hair loss.

I'd say I'm just a little worse than a NW 2 but not quite as bad as a NW 3. My hair is thick towards the back and on top. I just have a thinning/receding hairline. Hair loss, to me is one of the worst things to experience. It attacks lots of people at young ages when it is completely devastating to their self-esteem and social life, It progresses rapidly in most cases, and from what I understand, there is still no cure. On top of this, the only known treatments we have available either cause very sketchy side-affects, or they don't work in the right areas (i.e. minoxidil is not supposed to work for receding hairline, when that is where the majority of hairloss happens). So hairloss is basically an omnipotent super-villian to a great extend. It comes and takes over and is almost immune to any attack you throw at it.

However, I'm not going to give up without a fight. As stated above, I have a receding hairline. I thought I would give minoxidil and nizoral shampoo a try. I bought a 3-month supply of rogaine foam and a bottle of nizoral 1% strength from Wal Mart and have been using it for 3 days now. I've only used the Nizoral once as it states only to use it every 3rd day or so.

Now, I've heard that minoxidil is not supposed to work on the hairline, but I have also read that it DOES in fact work on the hairline, it's just that it was never tested on that area so it cannot be marketed for the hairline. Is this true? Another reason I think it may work is because my hairloss is fairly recent. I'm also using rogaine along with nizoral so I figured these two together could possibly restore my hairline. At least this combination may help until I have the time and means of doing something else about it, like a HT.

Anyone's input is appreciated. Thank you!

Well, I already see how kind this forum is. 160 views and not yet a single reply. Is this how you welcome new members? Let me guess what the reasons were for no reply. "Asking questions that have already been asked a thousand times". "this is not the introduction forum." yata yata... I'd rather someone get on here and tell me f*** off and go to hell than to just completely ignore me. It just makes everyone on the forum look like a bunch of A-holes when no one replies.

Senior Member BaldinLikeBaldwin's Avatar

it has begun..

You've made yourself sound like a fool a very short temper, you need to calm down... did you ever consider that maybe those 160 views were people lurking? Whatever the case may be, I understand your frustration at this bs condition..,. Everybody here does.

Anyway, I read your posts and I feel what you're saying man, I'm only 19 myself and like you I'm not willing to just let my hair go. I'm on Rogaine foam and Nizoral right now, but I'm hoping to add RU and maybe even AHK into the mix. And yes, you're right, you CAN get regrowth in the hairline from min and niz, but it's uncommon. I would avoid getting a hair transplant for now, the risks outweigh the benefits, and if you've just recently started to lose hair I think it would be best to stabilize your hair loss first. And it might be best to wait considering the fact that there are companies in phase 2 trials at the moment, we're getting close to something good. A HT should be your last option.

Quote Originally Posted by cleverusername View Post
    You've made yourself sound like a fool a very short temper, you need to calm down... did you ever consider that maybe those 160 views were people lurking? Whatever the case may be, I understand your frustration at this bs condition..,. Everybody here does.

Anyway, I read your posts and I feel what you're saying man, I'm only 19 myself and like you I'm not willing to just let my hair go. I'm on Rogaine foam and Nizoral right now, but I'm hoping to add RU and maybe even AHK into the mix. And yes, you're right, you CAN get regrowth in the hairline from min and niz, but it's uncommon. I would avoid getting a hair transplant for now, the risks outweigh the benefits, and if you've just recently started to lose hair I think it would be best to stabilize your hair loss first. And it might be best to wait considering the fact that there are companies in phase 2 trials at the moment, we're getting close to something good. A HT should be your last option.
    First of all, I didn't sound like a fool. I've been on too many forums where everyone's is pure A'hole. I'm almost positive that if I'd have left it alone, there would still be 0 replies to this thread a year from now.

Second, thanks for the help. Hair loss is bullshit isn't it? Especially for youngsters like us. We're supposed to have fields of hair. I wish mine could be like it was when I was about 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldnessfalls View Post
    First of all, I didn't sound like a fool. I've been on too many forums where everyone's is pure A'hole. I'm almost positive that if I'd have left it alone, there would still be 0 replies to this thread a year from now.

Second, thanks for the help. Hair loss is bullshit isn't it? Especially for youngsters like us. We're supposed to have fields of hair. I wish mine could be like it was when I was about 14.
    Nah bro, you just have to be patient lol. Trust me, my first post was alot like yours, even put up pictures. And it took a while to get a reply. I agree, we shouldn't even be worrying about hairloss at this age. BUT I guess we're lucky to be losing hair now. I would be terrified to be losing my hair 10-15 years ago.

Nah bro, you just have to be patient lol. Trust me, my first post was alot like yours, even put up pictures. And it took a while to get a reply. I agree, we shouldn't even be worrying about hairloss at this age. BUT I guess we're lucky to be losing hair now. I would be terrified to be losing my hair 10-15 years ago.
    Nah, I still have to say its more devastating at 18-25. 10-15 you can blame it on an illness or something and people will understand.

Nah, I still have to say its more devastating at 18-25. 10-15 you can blame it on an illness or something and people will understand.
    I mean in the 90's haha, it would suck to be losing hair back then. Right now there are more possibilities for better treatments.

I mean in the 90's haha, it would suck to be losing hair back then. Right now there are more possibilities for better treatments.
    Yeah, I hope that histogen thing pans out.

Yeah, I hope that histogen thing pans out.
    We already know it works, now we just have to try to hold onto the hair we have.