+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How bad is it?

Default How bad is it?

I'm 22 and never really thought about hair loss until last year around this time when my barber mentioned that I was getting thin around the temples. Ever since then it has been bothering me. I have always had a widows peak, and a pretty sharp one at that. Whats been killing me is that no matter how much I researched, I cant seem to find someone that has the same pattern or hair loss as I do, I don't even know what to classify this as. I usually buzz my hair short, at least a #4 and the temple hair is still there, it even lines up straight with the center but its just thinner. My father has hair loss, but never started this early, my two older brothers have full heads of hair, both grandfathers had full heads of hair and my uncle on my mothers side is bald but again, did not start this early. My question is, will this turn into a jude law hairline? Or could it be possible to just lose the thinning edges and keep a prominent widows peak with higher temples for a good amount of time? I know thats hard to answer but it would make me feel a bit more at ease if someone has had similar experience.

http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...7-12at1316.jpg
    http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...-12at13163.jpg
    http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...-12at13162.jpg
    http://i1175.photobucket.com/albums/...7-11at1410.jpg

tough question. temples are thinning but the rest doesn't appear to be yet. Looks like you could just wind up with receding, and then have a full head behind where you recede to. Please know that if you are going to start meds(rogaine or propecia), your hair will almost certainly get worse, before it gets better, and there is always that IF it gets better.. There is no way to just improve your hair without taking a step back and shedding alot. I wish I had read more about that prior to starting so I didn't freak out so much.

I appreciate the response. the rest of my hair is quite thick right now, just the temples are the issue. i have come to terms that i am thinning/receding now i am just waiting for those thin hairs to give way. I wouldn't mind a somewhat receded but thick hairline, if that is a possible step after this.

It is likely to recede more unless you begin Propecia. That could stop or at least slow it. There's no telling how far your hair loss will advance, but the current pattern I see it by no means unusual.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Yes you do have a little temporal recession. However, this might be your adult hairline settling in. Do you have a stong family history of Male Patttern Baldness?
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Glenn Charles View Post
    Yes you do have a little temporal recession. However, this might be your adult hairline settling in. Do you have a stong family history of Male Patttern Baldness?
    My father has hair loss, but it started in his later years. I could recall him having temple recession however, but with thick hair beyond that until mid 40's. Both grandfathers had thick hair. My uncle on my mothers side is bald but again, in his later years. Both of my older brothers have thick hair. My biggest concern is the thinning at the temples and I guess I'm hoping that that hair will "disappear" but the rest will remain thick and develop a solid yet resessed hairline. I have yet to read about a juvenile hairline thinning to a mature one.

I would go on proscar if I were you, it looks like you're in the beginning stages of hairloss. Proscar is much cheaper than propecia(I get mine for around 70 bucks for a years supply) you just quarter the pills.

You essentially have the same hair I had 2 years ago, I'm a NW3 now and only recently found out about proscar/propecia, I wish i started on it earlier!

It could seriously save your hairloss!

Quote Originally Posted by chilllmatic View Post
    I have yet to read about a juvenile hairline thinning to a mature one.
    It's sketchy and some of the information you may find will contradict itself, which makes figuring out which is MPB and which is just an adult male hair line difficult. In simple terms, the adult male hair line is natural and normal for a male as he transforms into a man - and it is separate from MPB. MPB usually starts with thinning in the mid-anderior and/or vertex. Just to throw a wrench into the works, there are different patterns of MPB. You can either start in the front (anterior/mid-anterior) or start in the back (vertex).

In short, if your vertex and mid-anterior are solid, it is probably not MPB. Your mid-anterior and vertex look solid to me in the pics you have provided. Keep an eye on it by taking good quality pics of your scalp every six moths. If you do see thinning in your vertex and/or mid-anterior, talk to your doctor about treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    It's sketchy and some of the information you may find will contradict itself, which makes figuring out which is MPB and which is just an adult male hair line difficult. In simple terms, the adult male hair line is natural and normal for a male as he transforms into a man - and it is separate from MPB. MPB usually starts with thinning in the mid-anderior and/or vertex. Just to throw a wrench into the works, there are different patterns of MPB. You can either start in the front (anterior/mid-anterior) or start in the back (vertex).

In short, if your vertex and mid-anterior are solid, it is probably not MPB. Your mid-anterior and vertex look solid to me in the pics you have provided. Keep an eye on it by taking good quality pics of your scalp every six moths. If you do see thinning in your vertex and/or mid-anterior, talk to your doctor about treatment.
    are you insane? He's definitely balding. He should have been on treatments years ago!

i've been monitoring it for about a year and have not noticed any drastic changes since. i'd rather not bother with fin or any serious treatments right now. it sucks to deal with but i rather cut it short like i normally do and deal with it than risk side effects if it is not SERIOUSLY needed.

I appreciate the responses.