+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Head Shaving Topic Makes Me Uncomfortable

I wanted to comment on the guest a few weeks ago who spoke about head shaving.

I respect anyones decision to do whatever they want to cope with hair loss. On a personal note, the topic of shaving my head is very uncomfortable for me. So much so, that I tuned out that segment of the show.

It doesn't bother me that other guys are shaving their heads and feel cool doing it, but it bothers me that it's accepted as the gold standard today to cope with hair loss.

Personally, I don't like the way it looks. Even though I understand that most people think it looks better than having the hair growth on the sides. I just feel it isn't a look that I wanna go for.

Also, Psychologically, it makes me feel so much better to touch my scalp and feel hair there. Even when I buzzed my head, it made me feel even balder than I am, and I felt worse about myself.

As far as what the ladies think, I don't do as well as I did prior to losing my hair, but I'm 36 and single by choice, I'm a Norwood 5, and I still attract my fair share of ladies. I prefer to date younger women. in the 25-35 range. Some of them like me, some don't. Would i be doing better if I shaved my head? I don't think so because I felt less confident when I did shave it once before.

I guess the only thing that bothers me is people telling me "Man you should shave your head. See how it looks!" All the time! I actually did shave my head once before and didn't like it at all. For now, I buzz the sides, and leave my remaining hair an inch or 2 off the scalp.

I'm curious to hear what other guys think of this topic. I'd like to see if I am alone on my feelings about this.

I totally feel your pain.

Actually, since I started thinning on top i am stuck in a kind of cycle. When I have my hair "long", I look good from the front but my crown is thin, so when I see it I get depressed and promise I will just buzz it and accept it.

Problem is, as soon as i buzz it, I feel even worse because I hate seeing myself that way, so I let them grow again.

The 'compromise' I use is similar to yours. Very short sides and back (1-2 mm) and a little longer top to have some scalp coverage ( 1-2 cm ).

Actually, lately I am literally giving a f*ck and I'm letting them grow longer, because I'm tired of constantly worrying and now I feel like ignoring the problem for now.

(almost) nobody loves to shave their head.

But for us unfortunate guys it just comes down to your preference:

NW 7 > bald

or

Bald < NW 7

I'm not NW 7 yet, but I know I will be in a matter of years.
    I haven't had the guts yet to shave it of, but since I'm still in my twenties I still want to look my age as long as I can. Since I link NW7 with old age and IMHO hair on the sides adds up years, completely bald will be the choice for me.

^ That

People don't view a nearly/completely bald head and think "oh he's old" they think young and choosing the style.

But leaving "noticable" hair on the sides of the head == old(er)

Quote Originally Posted by Brianf View Post
    I wanted to comment on the guest a few weeks ago who spoke about head shaving.

I respect anyones decision to do whatever they want to cope with hair loss. On a personal note, the topic of shaving my head is very uncomfortable for me. So much so, that I tuned out that segment of the show.

It doesn't bother me that other guys are shaving their heads and feel cool doing it, but it bothers me that it's accepted as the gold standard today to cope with hair loss.

Personally, I don't like the way it looks. Even though I understand that most people think it looks better than having the hair growth on the sides. I just feel it isn't a look that I wanna go for.

Also, Psychologically, it makes me feel so much better to touch my scalp and feel hair there. Even when I buzzed my head, it made me feel even balder than I am, and I felt worse about myself.

As far as what the ladies think, I don't do as well as I did prior to losing my hair, but I'm 36 and single by choice, I'm a Norwood 5, and I still attract my fair share of ladies. I prefer to date younger women. in the 25-35 range. Some of them like me, some don't. Would i be doing better if I shaved my head? I don't think so because I felt less confident when I did shave it once before.

I guess the only thing that bothers me is people telling me "Man you should shave your head. See how it looks!" All the time! I actually did shave my head once before and didn't like it at all. For now, I buzz the sides, and leave my remaining hair an inch or 2 off the scalp.

I'm curious to hear what other guys think of this topic. I'd like to see if I am alone on my feelings about this.
    Some people look good with it that way others don't . I would not , it would make me look goofy that way. I have a wide head just like my mom had. I ride motorcles and still wear her helmet as my dads is too small....

Some women like shaved, some don't. One at work made a comment about a coworker than he looks old because he shaves. she said that because our ages came up and she thought he was older than me. But I think he pulls it off well as he has the right shape. And yet I have seen comments on another board from a women who thought balding was fine as long as the guy shaves, but not if he lets it grow out. You can't please everybody no matter which way you go.

See. I don't agree that completely shaving your head makes you look any younger. I think thats a matter of opinion. I see a shaved head and most of the time I can still see the baldness from the stuble or lack of stuble coming in.

I think the more correct thing to say is that if you're balding, shaving your head is more in style right now than not shaving your head.

As I said, I don't leave it long to impress women, or anyone at all. I do it because it makes me feel better feeling hair on my head.

There are always exceptions but I think the general consensus is that if you have significant balding, you will look younger and more stylish with a close buzz or clean shave. Growing out the hair on a balding scalp is associated with older men for a lot of people.
    Unfortunately I'll be in bad shape if I get that far on the NW scale, because I don't feel I look very good at all with a shaved head. This is why I'm going the meds route....saving instead of shaving....if I looked like Jason Statham without hair I'd be more willing to let it go!

Edit: I posted this before I saw your post there Brianf, not trying to be contradictory or anything. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Brianf View Post
    See. I don't agree that completely shaving your head makes you look any younger. I think thats a matter of opinion. I see a shaved head and most of the time I can still see the baldness from the stuble or lack of stuble coming in.

I think the more correct thing to say is that if you're balding, shaving your head is more in style right now than not shaving your head.

As I said, I don't leave it long to impress women, or anyone at all. I do it because it makes me feel better feeling hair on my head.
    I agree I don't think there is any consensus, perhaps there may be a perception of one perhaps.

I was in home depot back in late May/early June and an acquaintance walks in as the same time as me. He sees 3 or 4 shaved guys nearby and says how they look terrible and they shouldn't try to look like old men on purpose because it looks ridiculous. I couldn't believe he was say that but he is the type that holds nothing back.

Well I think you should do what YOU want and not worry about what anyone else thinks. Some people are not going to like no matter which way you go....

He actually said that? What an insecure punk. I bet he's losing his hair...

And shaving your head is exactly doing the opposite of what you say he said. You do it to avoid the "power doughnut" that *IS* what old men have.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    He actually said that? What an insecure punk. I bet he's losing his hair...

And shaving your head is exactly doing the opposite of what you say he said. You do it to avoid the "power doughnut" that *IS* what old men have.
    Well yes he did and no he has no hair loss at all probably due to medical reasons.
    he has said some other pretty rude things and I am surprised he got away with.
    I think there are other medical reasons that make him this way as sometimes he is completely well mannered.

OTHO, some women are just as bad and insist on shaved or else. I would never date a picky women like as I am sure she would find plenty else wrong with me. And the first time I got seriously sick, she would be gone and I would be on my own.