+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Shaved head > Power donut

Quote Originally Posted by mpb47 View Post
    . And yet I have seen comments on another board from a women who thought balding was fine as long as the guy shaves, but not if he lets it grow out. You can't please everybody no matter which way you go.
    lol...balding was fine .....lol
    The guy is losing his hair , he has no choice .
    Either go around with sparse , thin, comb-over like hair or buzz it and keep it short and neat .

I really envy you guys who can shave your head right down.

I have a really bumpy scalp/skull, which when shaved to a number 1 guard or shorter is even more embarrassing than hair loss.

When I first started losing hair I could buzz it down to a 2 guard without the major bump infront of the crown showing. As I started to thin more and more the bump became more obvious so i just decided to grow it out long again and use concealer.

One day my hair loss will get to the point where I have to decide if its worth keeping longer to hide the bump or if i should shave right down to tidy the baldness...

The stupid thing is I would actually like to shave it short (don't have to bother styling my hair etc.), but the bump is bad and people have even commented about it when I shaved my hair to a number 2 guard.

Sucks to be me!

Look at breaking bad lead character Walter white, before and after shaved pic. I personally think he looks way better with a shaved head then when he had hair, especially when he grew out the mustache and beard.
    Attached Images

the problem with shaving to the skin is that you're still fooling nobody.

The 'donught' or 'horseshoe' or whatever is still very visible - the shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by LPSboxing View Post
    the problem with shaving to the skin is that you're still fooling nobody.

The 'donught' or 'horseshoe' or whatever is still very visible - the shadow.
    But it's not about "fooling" anyone. It's not a trick; it's a haircut. I think the question is "Do you think your hair looks bad, or are you ashamed of it?" If you just think it looks bad, then shaving is a good option. A lot of people (but not everyone) think it looks better, so there you go! Bad hair -> Better head. If you're ashamed of your hairloss, that's different, and yeah, shaving won't help.

If you're ashamed of your hairloss; if you want to hide it because you think the general idea of losing your hair don't just make you look bad, but makes you a worse person; if you're not just looking to look better, and instead looking to hide your secret shameful condition from society; then you probably need to talk to a psychologist, not a barber.

Thinking your hairloss looks bad is reasonable. Most people don't care for it. But thinking your hairloss is shameful is unhealthy. I'm not saying you do feel that way. Only you know how you feel. And I'm not even saying that if you do feel that way, that it's unreasonable. A ton of people get to that point. Hairloss bites dick. I'm just saying that if you do feel that way, then there are things you can do to help you get to the point where you see hairloss as just an aesthetic issue to be dealt with as best you can, and not a character flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    But it's not about "fooling" anyone. It's not a trick; it's a haircut. I think the question is "Do you think your hair looks bad, or are you ashamed of it?" If you just think it looks bad, then shaving is a good option. A lot of people (but not everyone) think it looks better, so there you go! Bad hair -> Better head. If you're ashamed of your hairloss, that's different, and yeah, shaving won't help.

If you're ashamed of your hairloss; if you want to hide it because you think the general idea of losing your hair don't just make you look bad, but makes you a worse person; if you're not just looking to look better, and instead looking to hide your secret shameful condition from society; then you probably need to talk to a psychologist, not a barber.

Thinking your hairloss looks bad is reasonable. Most people don't care for it. But thinking your hairloss is shameful is unhealthy. I'm not saying you do feel that way. Only you know how you feel. And I'm not even saying that if you do feel that way, that it's unreasonable. A ton of people get to that point. Hairloss bites dick. I'm just saying that if you do feel that way, then there are things you can do to help you get to the point where you see hairloss as just an aesthetic issue to be dealt with as best you can, and not a character flaw.
    Davey,

maybe I didn't explain my point well.

It is MY personal opinion and taste that, even with very advanced hairloss, a skin-shaven head is never a good look.
    I am not (yet ) at such advanced stage, but I think the 'best' option is to keep the remaining hair very short ( maybe around 3 mm ) but still provide some framing for the face.

I think that, provided that the remaining hair are kept short, there's no need to go to the skin because, like I said, that usually doesn't mask the horseshoe.

In my opinion extreme shaving doesn't look good even for people considered good looking ( people like Vin Diesel, Bruce Willis etc ).

I think I'd go with a Jason Statham kind of look, but again just my personal taste

Quote Originally Posted by LPSboxing View Post
    Davey,

maybe I didn't explain my point well.

It is MY personal opinion and taste that, even with very advanced hairloss, a skin-shaven head is never a good look.
    I am not (yet ) at such advanced stage, but I think the 'best' option is to keep the remaining hair very short ( maybe around 3 mm ) but still provide some framing for the face.

I think that, provided that the remaining hair are kept short, there's no need to go to the skin because, like I said, that usually doesn't mask the horseshoe.

In my opinion extreme shaving doesn't look good even for people considered good looking ( people like Vin Diesel, Bruce Willis etc ).

I think I'd go with a Jason Statham kind of look, but again just my personal taste
    Ah, got'cha. See, it was just the word "fooling" that got me. Like we thought shaving our heads was a way to trick people into thinking we're not balding.

I think just keeping it real' short works for plenty of dudes. There's a balding professor in town here that does that, and all his female students want his nuts bad. Probably doesn't hurt that he's just handsome otherwise, too. In my personal opinion, you gotta be like 30 at least for it to work though.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    Ah, got'cha. See, it was just the word "fooling" that got me. Like we thought shaving our heads was a way to trick people into thinking we're not balding.

I think just keeping it real' short works for plenty of dudes. There's a balding professor in town here that does that, and all his female students want his nuts bad. Probably doesn't hurt that he's just handsome otherwise, too. In my personal opinion, you gotta be like 30 at least for it to work though.
    yeah english is not my first language so sometimes I choose the wrong words ah

Well, yeah you're kinda right it's the usual "guy in his early 30s" look.

But worry not, 2 years tops and we'll be all fixed up and brand new.

( lol )

I'm surprised I'm the first one to mention this in this thread, but this is what I have been thinking in regards to this...

I'm about 5 ft 8 and hovering around 150 lbs. I'm white and im in my early 20s. I'm not to the point where I have to shave it completely yet but prob will be towards my late 20s if I don't get on fin. I WILL look like a ****ing cancer patient if i shave my head. I know you will say, go to the gym and get big. Well I've always had a problem putting on weight so it would take years for me to see noticable gym results. I can grow a ton of facial hair but I have a prominent roman nose, and I would just look goofy with no hair. I just don't have the muscle and height to pull off the shaved look in my mind. My older bro who is 32 has balded, but he is covered in tats, and has darker skin then I do.

I definately think its easier to rock the shaved head look if you are black, or really tan. And its everywhere you look too. I'm talking about your everyday average black dude whos bald that you would see walking down the street with the shaved head. It just fits them better. When ever you see a beer commercial or some other social commercial, there are 3 or 4 white guys with perfect hair and then the one black dude with them whos clean shaven and with a clean shaven head, and looks fine. You pretty much never see shaved white dudes on TV, besides some movies. But all in all I think its easier to be shaved if your black or darker hispanic. Your opinions?