+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Need Help Developing a Regimen Without Fin

Here we go...

I'm 27 years old with a NW2.5 hairline and a thinning crown. After having used finasteride successfully for 5 years, this past January I developed gynecomastia and had to quit using it. Being on no treatments for 7 months has wreaked havoc on both my hairline and my crown. I'm really starting to worry. A month ago I started minoxidil 5% foam, but it gave me terrible headaches and caused bloating in my face and dark circles beneath my eyes. Having read that minoxidil may age the face, I decided it wasn't worth it.

Currently I'm just using Nizoral 2x week. I need to develop a regimen that will hold me over until better treatments arrive. If I can just maintain for two or three more years I will be able to reassess the cutting edge treatments and go with something like Histogen, or else get a hair transplant, most likely using Gho's method. That's later. This is now.

I'm willing to try anything that has worked for you guys. Topicals, shampoos, vitamins, pills, spells, sacrifices of virgins... ANYTHING. I understand that fin is the most essential treatment, but I can't use it at the moment, if ever again. If you were in my position, which treatments would you add to your regimen?

I'm considering the following:

Saw Palmetto
    Toco-8
    Equol (Folexen?)
    RU (though I've read this may cause gynecomastia as well)
    OC (gonna wait a while on this to see results of others)
    Keratene Shampoo
    Spiro
    2% Minox foam (sides wont be as harsh perhaps?)

Any additions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone for reading and to those who respond.

Senior Member BaldinLikeBaldwin's Avatar

bim,CRTH2 antagonis,ascj9 myristate rum,AHK-Cu peptide-copper complex, rogaine , SWAMI RAMDEV PATANJALI KESH KANTI HAIR CLEANSER SHAMPOO,Herbal Chumket Hair Re-Growth Shampoorevita shampoo, SBM Indra Neeli Hair Oil , SBM Pure Leaf Juice Shampoo(Thiruthaali,swanson hair revitaling formula,msm, garlic pills, mens vitamin,bhringaraj oil ,Silica complex, glutathione, blck caster oil,garlic pills, aloe vera, almond oil,garlic oil, sesa oil,parachute ayur vedic hair oil, neosh101?

(c) lilpauly

(I removed finasteride and dutasteride)

Edit: In addition to the treatments you already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Conpecia View Post
    Here we go...

I'm 27 years old with a NW2.5 hairline and a thinning crown. After having used finasteride successfully for 5 years, this past January I developed gynecomastia and had to quit using it.
    My understanding is that gyno requires surgery unless it's caught in very early stages, but once it's been removed, can't you take meds to prevent it whilst staying on fin?

Also I believe your chances of side effects on spiro will be much higher than on fin or dut, so you may want to avoid that one.

I keep seeing OC... what is this exactly?

as to your regime, theres this guy over at hairlosshelp called The Natural. He apparently doesnt use any synthesized drugs and only use natural remedies. He experimented with lots of stuff over the years and this is what he puts up as his signature:

The Natural Internal Regimen:

vitamin C
    aged garlic extract (vitamin B, GABA)
    curcumin
    cayenne pepper (ginger)
    algae extract

supposedly he's able to maintain his hair for many years using that.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    My understanding is that gyno requires surgery unless it's caught in very early stages, but once it's been removed, can't you take meds to prevent it whilst staying on fin?

Also I believe your chances of side effects on spiro will be much higher than on fin or dut, so you may want to avoid that one.
    The gyno meds are anti-estrogen stuff not really intended for use to prevent gyno. I have read that fin-induced gyno goes away on its own after fin is stopped. This appears to be correct. There were also sexual sides that started developing. Just gonna get away from fin for a while. I'll also strike spiro off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by briandesigns View Post
    I keep seeing OC... what is this exactly?

as to your regime, theres this guy over at hairlosshelp called The Natural. He apparently doesnt use any synthesized drugs and only use natural remedies. He experimented with lots of stuff over the years and this is what he puts up as his signature:

The Natural Internal Regimen:

vitamin C
    aged garlic extract (vitamin B, GABA)
    curcumin
    cayenne pepper (ginger)
    algae extract

supposedly he's able to maintain his hair for many years using that.

Here's the OC thread:

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8329

I'll check out the natural stuff. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Conpecia View Post
    Saw Palmetto
    Toco-8
    Equol (Folexen?)
    RU (though I've read this may cause gynecomastia as well)
    OC (gonna wait a while on this to see results of others)
    Keratene Shampoo
    Spiro
    2% Minox foam (sides wont be as harsh perhaps?)

Any additions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone for reading and to those who respond.
    Well one ingredient rings alarm bells & that's spiro, which is a powerful anti-androgen with a high rate of systemic absorbtion, but it works well, can halt further progression in most of its users.

Quote Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
    Well one ingredient rings alarm bells & that's spiro, which is a powerful anti-androgen with a high rate of systemic absorbtion, but it works well, can halt further progression in most of its users.
    If the systemic absorbtion is high then it means you can have side effects ?
    It is a powerful anti androgen but i dnt know why only limited number of people taking it and i have not read any negative views

Thumbs up

I understand the reasons why people would refrain from using Propecia and that is is a personal decision for each individual. However, the fact remains that the only way to effectively block DHT (and thus address the primary cause for mpb at this moment in time) is to use some form of it. These other therapies being discussed serve only as an adjunct. Aside from Propecia, Minoxidil and possibly Laser Therapy (the last one often prompts much debate) you could consider PRP, depending on where you are based. I know it's not exactly comprehensive, but I believe this is the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by 8868alex View Post
    I understand the reasons why people would refrain from using Propecia and that is is a personal decision for each individual. However, the fact remains that the only way to effectively block DHT (and thus address the primary cause for mpb at this moment in time) is to use some form of it. These other therapies being discussed serve only as an adjunct. Aside from Propecia, Minoxidil and possibly Laser Therapy (the last one often prompts much debate) you could consider PRP, depending on where you are based. I know it's not exactly comprehensive, but I believe this is the bottom line.
    PRP is an avenue I haven't considered. Thanks for bringing that up. I'm not so sure that fin is the only way to block DHT. I've read a lot of success stories about RU, and equol seems very promising, just to name a couple under-the-radar alternatives. But propecia is tried and true, and it worked for me for many years. I'd be content to stay on it but for the sides.