+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Do Looks matter

Awful but exactly accurate. If any of us here had unlimited power, none of us would be so screwed up in the head that we would inflict disease, hunger, torture, rape, murder on so many people who were only in the wrong place at the wrong time. But apparently we are not even supposed to hold a "perfect being" to as high of a standard as we hold some slob on the internet!

Well helouser, that was a question troubling me also. Let's assume Islam was the correct religion, if I were born to a christian family or an atheist family then is it my shitty luck that I wasn't born to the correct religion.

So I asked this question to many educated Muslims and I got the same answer. Nobody knows how God (if he exists) will judge us, All the religions are made from god and of course it would be better if one were to be in the last or correct religion but as long as a person is good and tries his best to maintain the rules God has given him/her then he/she should be fine.

God is perfect, we aren't. Religion wars were started by us. If this was an exam, whats the point of it if you know all the answers? Whats the point of life as a test if it was all perfect?

At the end in my opinion, there is no way to scientifically prove that God does or doesn't exist. You will always find a counter-argument to anything. I myself will try to play it safe, I will try and enjoy my life without harming anyone even though it might be against my religion ( smoking weed, drinking, having sex) but also do the things that I am asked of like praying, fasting, giving money to the poor etc...

I do appreciate that all the things which religion (in my case the Quran) forbids is truly for our best interest.

If God created man and man created religious wars, then god created religious wars. Also rape, murder, etc
    Clearly he wouldn't be perfect if he existed, in fact he would be worse than basically every human being in history. He would make Hitler look like a decent guy by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by ppxrare View Post
    Well helouser, that was a question troubling me also. Let's assume Islam was the correct religion, if I were born to a christian family or an atheist family then is it my shitty luck that I wasn't born to the correct religion.

So I asked this question to many educated Muslims and I got the same answer. Nobody knows how God (if he exists) will judge us, All the religions are made from god and of course it would be better if one were to be in the last or correct religion but as long as a person is good and tries his best to maintain the rules God has given him/her then he/she should be fine.

God is perfect, we aren't. Religion wars were started by us. If this was an exam, whats the point of it if you know all the answers? Whats the point of life as a test if it was all perfect?

At the end in my opinion, there is no way to scientifically prove that God does or doesn't exist. You will always find a counter-argument to anything. I myself will try to play it safe, I will try and enjoy my life without harming anyone even though it might be against my religion ( smoking weed, drinking, having sex) but also do the things that I am asked of like praying, fasting, giving money to the poor etc...

I do appreciate that all the things which religion (in my case the Quran) forbids is truly for our best interest.
    You do realize that all the things that are forbidden in Islam are man made rules and are purely subjective. Even if god were to exist, the assumption that there would be judgement is another fabrication.

Theres no scientific method to disprove god exists because there is no evidence *at all* (this is an indisputable fact) of a god in the first place. Scripture doesnt count either as they are written by man. Fact is, god was created in mans image.

Inactive

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Finally, I'd like to hear a serious rebuttal to this next point as I feel it's highly valid. Einstein once said something to the effect of "If the world were to live by the teachings of Jesus Christ then I have no doubt that all the social problems of the world would be solved". I ask you, is this not true?
    It's certainly not true that Einstein said that. He never said anything remotely like that -- in fact, he said just the opposite:

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary."

Edit: I decided to delete my post because I don't want to debate here about a manmade idea like God as if it was a real thing outside our heads.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 going on 65 View Post
    Edit: I decided to delete my post because I don't want to debate here about a manmade idea like God as if it was a real thing outside our heads.
    actually baldness/hair play quite a role in some religions

Quote Originally Posted by hellouser View Post
    You do realize that all the things that are forbidden in Islam are man made rules and are purely subjective. Even if god were to exist, the assumption that there would be judgement is another fabrication.

Theres no scientific method to disprove god exists because there is no evidence *at all* (this is an indisputable fact) of a god in the first place. Scripture doesnt count either as they are written by man. Fact is, god was created in mans image.

They are man made rules if you assume god doesn't exist, if he did exist then when you think about the rules they all make sense and are one way or another for our benefit.

Just because we don't have human evidence for God doesn't mean he doesn't exist. Scientific evidence is something created by humans, again if God created us to test us don't you think its within his powers to have us never be able to 100 percent prove that he exists? because what is the point if we can prove he can exists, its like knowing the answers to an exam beforehand.

Some things in this world are enough evidence for some people that God exists, if you are very anal about proving he doesn't exist then you will stay that way because you are looking at the universe in a biased way.

@ Highlander, a bit offensive don't you think? Is it difficult for you to think that maybe just maybe the Bible has been played with and changed several times and that actually Islam is the next and last religion after Christianity?

Anyways I accept all religions except the retarded ones like Scientology, or Mormonism, and I'm going to stop arguing about religion now because I really don't give a shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    ITT: Butthurt cleaners and petrol station workers who think they're intelligent because they "like science" and are anti-theists.

You know you're suffering critical mass levels of butthurt when you dismiss the most important question man has ever asked as child's play. Look up any intelligent person and add religion or God after their name. Each of them will have very complex, well-formed ideas on religion and God, regardless of if they're theists or not.

It's the pseudo-intellectual new atheists that try to dismiss it entirely as if the question is not one worth asking. I find that pathetic and intellectually dishonest.

You're not as smart as you think you are, I assure you. What a sad world we would live in if we all thought like you.
    I wasn't offended. I didn't see the use in treating a self-contradictory idea as if we didn't make it from our imaginations. If I told you unicorns were real, would you want to debate with me on BTT about what properties they would have, or whether they would be jerks?
    I don't find myself or anyone "intelligent," "smart" or "intellectual." These strike me as adjectives we apply when trying to convince ourselves/others that a person or idea has validity, or lacks it.
    I don't clean or work at a gas station, but I don't look down on those who do.
    The most important questions ever asked have nothing to do with mythical beings like God or unicorns. They have to do with real things.
    This would go down smoother if you didn't pretend to think that one of many old tales handed down through generations was a "real thing." You don't believe in Madusa or leprechauns because you have no reason to. Just apply the same reasoning to this thing "god" we conjured up. I'm not saying it definitely doesn't exist, just that there is no reason to think it does, any more than the many other ideas we or our ancestors imagined.
    You probably don't like me, but for what it's worth, I appreciate your avatar.

I thought of a couple things I wanted to add. The reply of mine that I deleted was not mean spirited or insulting, if anyone wondered. The other thing is that I would not want everyone to think like me, or to think like any one person. However I do wish this one idea, god, would be taken less seriously by most. We would be better off.