+ Reply to Thread

Default Hair Transplant Scar Repair

Hello All,

I just found this board so I apologize if this topic has been covered in another thread but I'm trying to find a good doc to repair the scars I received from two previous transplant procedures. The procedures were both done at Bosley in Beverly Hills in the early 2000s and left two scars that I estimate are less than 3mm wide but quite long.

In retrospect I wish I waited until FUE was more readily used as I underestimated how many grafts needed to fill in my front hairline. Additionally, the transplanted grafts don't match my original follicles in density - the transplanted grafts are much thicker and stand out upon detailed examination. As a result I'm forced to buzz my head (1" length) and answer awkward questions about my scars. I'm hoping to find a doc to repair the scars and repair my front hairline or remove the transplanted grafts altogether.

I've done a bit of reading and I think I understand my options.

1) See if my scalp has enough elasticity to create a thinner scar. I forgot the name of the procedure. Can someone please remind me?

2) Use FUE to fill in the scars from the donor sites.

3) Remove the transplanted grafts and use laser therapy to repair the scars where the grafts used to be.

Do I have the sequencing correct? If so, can someone please point me in the right direction in locating a top-notch doc to help me out? I've already checked the IAHRS website but couldn't determine which docs were the best for me given my situation.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

-TL

TL,

Sorry to hear you fell at the hands of the infamous Bosley, me too..

It all depends on the scars width and position on scalp as to the best way to approach minimising them.

Options :

1. Scar revision. Possible if positioned ok and you have enough laxity.

2. FUE into the scars can really help minimise the scar - I had this done into my old Bosley scar.

3. You could also look at tattooing the scar as an option.

Hope this helps
    spex
    Visit my website: SPEXHAIR

Watch regular segments and interviews on The Bald Truth UK show

View Media interviews www.spexhair.media

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel : SpexHair Youtube

I am not a doctor or medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions expressed are my own unless stated otherwise. Always consult with your own family doctor prior to embarking on any form of hair loss treatment or surgery.

TL....sounds all to familiar.

http://www.baldtruthtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8884

Unless your scars are extremely bad or wide I would avoid a revision....there's just no guarantee with them. Even if you had some reduction you'd still need to do FUE in the scar if your plans are to go with a shorter hair cut. factor in you have 2 scars and it becomes even more complicated. Micropigmentation is a good alternative if you plan to go with a #0 or #1 clipper. It is however a good final touch up of you are looking to decrease the contrast between your scalp and hair. Just remember that it is 2 dementional and it does not look like real hair....especially if your hair is worn longer.
    Can you post some photo's?

TrojanLuv

Since you already have a hair transplant scar, there are a few options available to help you conceal your scar. The first and easiest way is to simply leave the hair surrounding your scar long enough to conceal it. However, many men, particularly as their hair loss progresses, get tired of this and simply want to buzz or shave their heads. Another option involves the use of cosmetics, such as DerMatch, which can help disguise the scar. Unfortunately, this is only a temporary solution. A more permanent option to consider is surgical scar revision. This involves “re-doing” the scar by excising it and suturing the wound again. Although this will occasionally result in a less noticeable scar, revisions often do not work. A better surgical option involves grafting permanent hair into the scar. This can be done via the FUE method and may require more than one ‘pass’ to achieve desired results since yield tends to be lower in scar tissue versus virgin scalp.