+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recovery Time

Default Recovery Time

Hi,

Have been searching around for this info on the forum but can't seem to find it.

How long after my hair transplant (augmenting the hairline with about 700-900 grafts) would the procedure be undetectable? I don't want anybody to be able to tell that I've had a procedure, but I'm not sure how long it'd take redness, incision marks, etc to go away. So if I had a procedure on a Friday, had the weekend to recover, would I be able to get back to my day job on Monday without any noticeable difference?

Is this realistic?

Thanks.

Doctor Representative the B spot's Avatar

Hi Harry-- we routinely do unshaven hair transplantation----this "undetectability" is often of paramount importance to many of our patients.

While your timeline is not impossible, a HT on Friday of 800-1000 grafts would most likely see you back to work (assuming your work is not physical) Wed/Thurs comfortably--- it is not necessarily the hairline, but the overall "uncomfortability" associated with a HT.

Remember, your sleep will be a bit uncomfortable, your taking some pain pills to help you relax a bit and in general your sitting around wondering if going through all of this is worth it =)

I will say, I did 1400 fue Thurs/Fri and went back to school on Monday--- I was able to wear a hat however--- additionally, while my down time post-op was easier with FUE, it still took me a good week to just get my energy back---- and let me tell you-- I have had both procedures and regardless of what anyone tells you--- you cannot WAIT to get the staples/sutures out!

My advice is to plan for at least 4-5 days off. Anyone that tries to minimize post-op recovery is severely mistaken, especially if they have not had the procedure themselves. I'm not saying it is terrible or horrid, but generally speaking it is uncomfortable for 4-5 days.

Hope this helps!
    Jason
    Patient Advocate/FUE Coordinator for Shapiro Medical Group. My advice and opinions are my own and is not medical advice. I am a Cubs fan.

There are a few factors that will determine your outcome in the first few days.

You stated that you are thinking 700 to 900 grafts will be the amount needed for your hairline but is this into existing hair or in front of your current hairline for lowering?

Either or you may be able to change your hairstyle to accommodate your situation. One easy way is to change to more of a caesar style that will have your hair behind the new work brushed forward to cover it up. If this is possible then you could easily get away with having no one see a difference.

If you are looking to lower your existing hairline then the same can still be done but you may need to grow your existing hair a bit longer to compensate for the lower hairline.

Either way if you have a procedure with very refined incisions then the initial healing can go quite fast but with the proper hair style covering the new work you should be able to get away with it.

Jtronic,

This is basically into existing hair; we will not be lowering my hairline. We will however, be filling in a bit around the temples and wear my hairline has begun to recede.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I had a procedure of 1600 grafts --- roughly twice the # you may have. I was back at work exactly 10 days after the surgery. No one noticed a thing. And if they did, they didn't say anything :-)

Skeptic1st

I had my strip surgery procedure performed on a Wednesday, and went back to work the following Monday(5 dayslater) and none of my co workers noticed, or at least they didnt question me. I think it was un-noticeable, and if anything, I looked better because my donor hairs created more fullness and an actual hair line. Too bad a few weeks later, the donor hairs jumped ship. Fortunately, I overheard them saying "I'll be back"!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry West View Post
    Jtronic,

This is basically into existing hair; we will not be lowering my hairline. We will however, be filling in a bit around the temples and wear my hairline has begun to recede.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Harry,

I agree with bspot in that it's really the overall stamina that you feel to go back. On one of my strip procedures, I went back the very next day because I worked inside the clinic back then. I did not have a choice in the matter and I wised I had a few days off.

As long as you don't swell unusually, you should be fine. Just don't do things that cause others to wonder why you are acting like you are trying to avoid them. Follow your post-op instructions and just be yourself!

Best wishes to you.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin