+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ThinningB420 View Post
    This doesn't prevent disease. It just tells you what diseases your child may have and gender it's gender. Are you telling me your going to abort a baby because it could have mpb. If so, all I can say is wow.
    Dude, I'm trollin. I didn't read the article. Was a link from another forum and I went with it. Does it say that?...But to answer your question, would I abort the baby if it had the mpb gene?...Yes of course.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldinLikeBaldwin View Post

this evil disease shall cause no more suffering to our people....
    Will it be part of Obama's healthcare plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Death Row View Post
    Tongue in cheek. Was a reading about prenatal screening on a sci fi forum and watched Gattaca the other day. I see no one bit.

Thought maybe we'd see Highlander or Scorpion in the thread.
    Sorry - More of a Galactica (original optimistic one) fan here.

You got me! Nice

Inactive

Post Scientists Develop Alternative to Gene Therapy

Scientists at The Scripps Research Institute have discovered a surprisingly simple and safe method to disrupt specific genes within cells. The scientists highlighted the medical potential of the new technique by demonstrating its use as a safer alternative to an experimental gene therapy against HIV infection.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0701191613.htm

Quote Originally Posted by gmonasco View Post
    Scientists at The Scripps Research Institute have discovered a surprisingly simple and safe method to disrupt specific genes within cells. The scientists highlighted the medical potential of the new technique by demonstrating its use as a safer alternative to an experimental gene therapy against HIV infection.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0701191613.htm
    I think that's interesting and potentially great for preventing diseases. I wonder though if there will be different mutations that occur in response to these therapies. Also, there are ethical dilemmas with gender and trait issues.

To make an extreme case, what will happen to beauty if we are all designed to have the same traits? Lack of beauty is what allows us to appreciate beauty.

Definitely more good than bad with this but we must be careful.

You got me! Nice
    I was going to attach the Last of the Mohicans theme to the post but don't know how to do that.

It's funny though because I was thinking man maybe we're only obsessed by hairloss because it's a first world problem. Going out on a limb here but I'd guess most of us on here are first world well educated people with, despite the economic turmoil, pretty decent prospects in the future. Sometimes it's just seems like we're being ridiculous. Of course I'm excluding female hairloss, teen hairloss and repair patients when I say that. Maslow's hierarchy of needs is so true.

Kind of puts a little perspective on it. I was actually thinking when I saw the Scorpion post awhile back about the concentration camp thing and balding men not being allowed to reproduce just how ridiculous the view on hairloss can be at times. I can say that it actually helped give me some perspective on the whole thing.

Saw the thing about HIV. Really interesting but there's so many strains so tbh a vaccine/cure is still about 15-20 years off imo. Of course I hope I'm wrong on that.

To make an extreme case, what will happen to beauty if we are all designed to have the same traits? Lack of beauty is what allows us to appreciate beauty.
    I keep an eye on this type of thing because I find the fields of genetics, gerontology and anti-aging very interesting.

Tbh, I think for some time, physical traits will be left to chance; only health issues will be addressed. However over time I suppose the view will change slightly. It may start with SHOX genes and height for males so from there it could eventually progress.

I still think though that ethically the raw genetic material will always have to come from your parents; just the best genes of your parents which is actually kind of a nice idea. I think that kind of strikes a nice balance.

I don't see this type of thing really being deemed acceptable morally though until like the 2040s. We shall see.

I assure you though that many Hollywood actresses are already ensuring that the embryos don't carry any mutations for the conditions listed in the article. You will not hear people talking about Down syndrome in relation to this but I 100% know for a fact that this genetic condition is being tackled in this manner. That's fair game though imo.

Inactive

Thumbs up

To make an extreme case, what will happen to beauty if we are all designed to have the same traits?
    Maybe that characteristic will become unimportant, and we'll all be valued for who we are rather than how we look?