+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Angry Nizoral - probably made my situation worse

well....I'm VERY pissed off and depressed.

My hair situation was more or less stable since 2 years, without using anything.
    In march I had been reading a lot about the fabulous nizoral and I decided to try it.
    I have used it for about a 'cycle' ( 4 weeks ), I thought it was helping me because I was noticing almost zero loss during the day/passing my hand through the hair etc but I just did a 'check' of my hair with lights and double mirrors and MY HAIR HAS NEVER BEEN IN MORE SHITTY CONDITIONS.

Now my left temple area is fading quickly, in an asymmetric way, and in general all my top looks a lot more thin and see-through.
    All this after years of very stable situation.

Now, this could be a massive coincidence and it would have happened even without nizoral, but it's really suspicious.

Or maybe this could be the famous initial shedding that some talk about ( nizoral made me shed a lot of miniaturized hair ). It looks like the ones left are think but I lack coverage and the scalp is much more visible.

I really hope this is reversible and I'm gonna trash the nizoral now. Better safe than sorry. It made my scalp mildly red and sore, even using it only 1-2 times a week and for a 2-3 minutes application.

any opinion / suggestion is very welcome because I feel shitty and even more depressed.

Do you follow it with conditioner?

how is that even possible? Are you sure it was purely from nizoral?

Quote Originally Posted by LPSboxing View Post
    well....I'm VERY pissed off and depressed.

My hair situation was more or less stable since 2 years, without using anything.
    In march I had been reading a lot about the fabulous nizoral and I decided to try it.
    I have used it for about a 'cycle' ( 4 weeks ), I thought it was helping me because I was noticing almost zero loss during the day/passing my hand through the hair etc but I just did a 'check' of my hair with lights and double mirrors and MY HAIR HAS NEVER BEEN IN MORE SHITTY CONDITIONS.

Now my left temple area is fading quickly, in an asymmetric way, and in general all my top looks a lot more thin and see-through.
    All this after years of very stable situation.

Now, this could be a massive coincidence and it would have happened even without nizoral, but it's really suspicious.

Or maybe this could be the famous initial shedding that some talk about ( nizoral made me shed a lot of miniaturized hair ). It looks like the ones left are think but I lack coverage and the scalp is much more visible.

I really hope this is reversible and I'm gonna trash the nizoral now. Better safe than sorry. It made my scalp mildly red and sore, even using it only 1-2 times a week and for a 2-3 minutes application.

any opinion / suggestion is very welcome because I feel shitty and even more depressed.

exactly what i noticed with 2% niz when i was using it.

thats why i never recommend it to anyone.

Nizoral - probably made my situation worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by gutted View Post
    exactly what i noticed with 2% niz when i was using it.
    Unless you were over using Nizoral, that is very doubtful.

Nizoral is just an adjunct to treatment, it is not a stand alone treatment. However, if you are using 2% Nizoral more than once per week, you could make your problem worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Unless you were over using Nizoral, that is very doubtful.

Nizoral is just an adjunct to treatment, it is not a stand alone treatment. However, if you are using 2% Nizoral more than once per week, you could make your problem worse.
    im pretty sure hair loss is listed as a side effect??

overuse of niz shrinks the sebaceous gland majorly, hence why overusing it may have an adverse effect on hair.

it could also be a normal, temporary, shed.

Quote Originally Posted by gutted View Post
    im pretty sure hair loss is listed as a side effect??
    If you over use it - Yes. If you use it properly as directed - No.

@ccmethinning:
    no I don't. I have very short hair and don't use any conditioner.

@2020:
    I am not 100% sure it is from using nizoral, but it's the only thing I have introduced/changed lately.

@gutted:
    looks like, to some people, it can do more harm than good. Maybe it's hypersensibility to some component.

about the sebaceous glands, I noticed my hair get a lot less greasy (even after some days) but my scalp is kind of shiny and red.

@tracy C:
    I had been using it like the prescription says. Every 3-4 days tops.

I decided to use it like prescription because I'm a long time dermatitis sufferer, so I thought to use it as intended.

I had been using it like the prescription says. Every 3-4 days tops.

I decided to use it like prescription because I'm a long time dermatitis sufferer, so I thought to use it as intended.
    Did a doctor evaluate you and prescribe it for you? Did that doctor tell you to use it that often? If your answer to either of those questions is no, then you were over using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    Did a doctor evaluate you and prescribe it for you? Did that doctor tell you to use it that often? If your answer to either of those questions is no, then you were over using it.
    It was prescribed to me by a dermatologyst in the past for my scalp dermatitis. So I was not new to it ( pre-hair loss however ).
    I remember in the past I wasn't able to complete the 4 weeks cycle because it made my hair and scalp very dry and the dandruff was not improving.

I don't think the problem is the frequency.