+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question New Fin user, heavy shed

First of all i have been browsing this forum for a few months now and would like to thank you all for helping guys and gals in this horrible situation we all share. Tracy, 2020 and gutted are afew of many but really TY for all your input here.

I noticed my hairloss from a bad haircut and ever since its been down hill. After looking for the "CURE" i came across this site where i read up on alot possible treatments and after a few months decided Fin was the way to go.

note: before i took fin but AFTER i noticed i had hairloss i developed an extremely greasy scalp and forehead tho no spots.

After about the 2nd week of fin ( no sexual side or other sides im aware of ) i noticed alot of hair falling out. every time i would rub my head about 10-15 hairs would be in my hand. after reading more on this forum i realised this should not necessarily be happening. thinking it could just be a shed i have left it for awhile and its still falling heavy. i have contacted my doc/dermatologist and have taken new bloodtests and testos tests.

My question to you guys is i still have a greasy scalp and forehead and while i tend to was every 2-3 days as i was told once a day is overkill, why and what is happening up there? is fin not working? am i reacting badly? next steps i should take? more tests?

Thanks for reading all

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    First of all i have been browsing this forum for a few months now and would like to thank you all for helping guys and gals in this horrible situation we all share. Tracy, 2020 and gutted are afew of many but really TY for all your input here.

I noticed my hairloss from a bad haircut and ever since its been down hill. After looking for the "CURE" i came across this site where i read up on alot possible treatments and after a few months decided Fin was the way to go.

note: before i took fin but AFTER i noticed i had hairloss i developed an extremely greasy scalp and forehead tho no spots.

After about the 2nd week of fin ( no sexual side or other sides im aware of ) i noticed alot of hair falling out. every time i would rub my head about 10-15 hairs would be in my hand. after reading more on this forum i realised this should not necessarily be happening. thinking it could just be a shed i have left it for awhile and its still falling heavy. i have contacted my doc/dermatologist and have taken new bloodtests and testos tests.

My question to you guys is i still have a greasy scalp and forehead and while i tend to was every 2-3 days as i was told once a day is overkill, why and what is happening up there? is fin not working? am i reacting badly? next steps i should take? more tests?

Thanks for reading all

hi, it already seems like you may have read my previous posts regarding oily/itchy scalps and reflex hyperandogenicty?

do you have an increased sex drive? since being on fin.

Thanks for reading all
    Initial sheds are totally normal on finasteride. You'll need at least 12 months (some need longer) on the drug to tell if it's working for you.

cheers for the reply chaps,

Gutted: yes i have read your posts about reflex hyperandogenicty and i sort of think that this could be happening, getting some tests done to confirm what is going on up there and to see if this maybe the case.

As for the sex drive, to be honest im not really sure, i was and have always had a huge sex drive, if anything it would be about the same. i have noticed i dont wake up standing to attention as much these days, so on that question im unsure.

i have heard that shedding early can be ok but its the fact my greasy hair/forehead has not cleared up which is also a concern. at abit of a loss. hopefully the results from the tests will help.

Ty again

Update: just got my blood tests back, everything come back normal, no elevated testo levels.

No idea whats happening then? maybe this huge shed is a good sign / normal fin activity.

About the excess grease? no idea, totally at a loss. like i said i did have this issue before i started fin. i dont over wash my hair and use niz 2times a week and head and shoulders in between.

Update: just got my blood tests back, everything come back normal, no elevated testo levels.

No idea whats happening then? maybe this huge shed is a good sign / normal fin activity.

About the excess grease? no idea, totally at a loss. like i said i did have this issue before i started fin. i dont over wash my hair and use niz 2times a week and head and shoulders in between.
    im in a similar situation Dazza, would you be kind enough to continue to keep us posted on your experiences?

Bluefalcon109: sure i will keep this updated.

My goal is to get my hair/head stable and back to its former un-greasy levels. i accept im thinning and i just need my hair to be stable and hold on while these new meds are just around the corner.

just im not really getting anywhere with the doctors and im really at a loss as to whats happening.

had the exact same issue after about 2 weeks of use. I reduced to .5 a day, and the shedding has stopped almost completely after about 2-3 weeks of heavy shedding.

I am also using rogaine and nizoral.

small update:

Still on the Fin, symptoms still the same yet greasy levels have gone down a touch. still shedding like there is no tomorrow and now visibly thinner on top. will be seeing a dermatologist next week.

Sounds like what I've been through with Propecia since January. Definitely thinner on top, comparing high-res photographs taken at regular intervals. Never underestimate how much you'll shed on Propecia/fin! I thought beforehand it'd be a few hairs here and there that were shed, not noticeable to the naked eye. Not the case.

Dazza, are you seeing a dermatologist on the NHS, may I ask?