+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

are you 100% sure your scalp got oilier AFTER taking Propecia?

if so then you MAY have Hyperandrogenicity which is 100% real and happens to about 10% of Propecia users.

Here are some thoughts about this subject:
    http://www.*************/hair-loss/bo...6.html#p105894

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post

if so then you MAY have Hyperandrogenicity which is 100% real and happens to about 10% of Propecia users.

Reflex hypeandrogenicity, no doubt about it.

As 2020 has pointed out:

Basically what happened was that your Androgen receptors at the scalp became more sensitive upon deprivation of DHT. Now any little DHT will accelerate the process of miniaturization even faster than before.

You have turned the clock on your hair 10 years forward and not only your hair but also any other part of your body that has androgen receptors.

This is what happened to me but mine but it is mild and not noticeable to the naked eye. Kirby here is going through it.

Here everyone will tell you it's just your MPB getting aggressive.
    Going to the dermatology is pointless, they don't know a squat about hairloss.

My scalp isn't getting oilier...

lol what are you guys trying to do to this poor guy?
    OP: you don't have hyperandrogenism unless it's due to something other than finasteride. What they're referring to is a small study in which males on finasteride had an increased number androgen receptor sites after 3-6 months (hyperandrogenism is an increase in androgen secretion). However it is not known whether this actually causes accelerated hair loss, and since you noticed the excess oil production before you took fin, you're most likely in a med shed like most men who start taking fin go through.
    After 12 months you'll probably know if fin is working for you, though some need longer.
    Good luck.

I would strongly recommend a lower dosage.

I started on 1mg propecia a day and within a coupe of weeks I started a massive shed and thought I had that same hypoandrogenWHATEVERITSCALLED thing. After shedding massive amounts over the next 1-2 weeks (from when the initial shed started) I switched to .5 MG a day, and every side effect I thought I was experiencing went away, and within 2 weeks of a lower dose my shedding has pretty much completely stopped and I'm experiencing a definite rebound over my entire scalp, hairline included... And not to mention I am growing a pretty gnarly beard now which I coudn't before even about 1.5-2 months ago when i started treatment.

Try the lower dose. Don't listen to what people on the forum say. What else do you have to lose? Besides more hair, which you weren't happy with anyways hence why you started taking the meds.

EDIT: When I say don't listen to what people on the fourm say, just to elaborate: There are many people who give great advice. But for somebody to come in here and make you think youve got that hypoandrogenic thing is absurd. IT IS NORMAL TO SHED A TON when you start... If the meds are going to work your hair will grow back. There are people that this medicine actually does work for.

Dont give up!

Mini update, kept of the forums for awhile.

Hair greasy levels have dropped, still some there tho much better. Head itch has gone, hardly itch now. Shedding has dropped, still afew hairs on my hands after washing my hair but under 10 where it was over 20 before.

Hopefully things are going to get better, had a dodgy haircut that's made me feel like shite which is not helping in the hair department. How she ****ed a simple haircut up I will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Mini update, kept of the forums for awhile.

Hair greasy levels have dropped, still some there tho much better. Head itch has gone, hardly itch now. Shedding has dropped, still afew hairs on my hands after washing my hair but under 10 where it was over 20 before.

Hopefully things are going to get better, had a dodgy haircut that's made me feel like shite which is not helping in the hair department. How she ****ed a simple haircut up I will never know.
    very interesting, how long has it been since you started?

Quote Originally Posted by 2020 View Post

Absolutely nothing in that post cited any sources, it seemed to be based entirely on anecdotal evidence. 10% of users get hyperandrogenicity? Where does that figure come from?

I'm certainly not saying it doesn't exist, in fact I may have it myself, but we need to accept that there is ZERO good research out there on this, and anyone who speaks with any sort of certainty is not being scientific.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby_ View Post
    Sounds like what I've been through with Propecia since January. Definitely thinner on top, comparing high-res photographs taken at regular intervals. Never underestimate how much you'll shed on Propecia/fin! I thought beforehand it'd be a few hairs here and there that were shed, not noticeable to the naked eye. Not the case.

Dazza, are you seeing a dermatologist on the NHS, may I ask?
    How's your hair now Kirby? I started propecia this January as well ... and had the same experience. My hair is much thinner overall and my scalp is visible in the crown and above the ears and neckline more so than before.

As someone who very well may be trying fin in the near future, I'm seeing quite a few guys say they switched from 1 mg to 0.5 which cut the sides and heavy shed. Granted, the switch was after they had been on it a while, so I'm not insinuating a temporal effect nor biological gradient/dosage effect. I'm wondering if I shouldn't start with 0.5 daily, or even maybe less. I'm hearing such mixed things about dermatologists, I almost feel like just saying **** 'em and go with my own slow, carefully moderated approach. Is this totally asinine?