+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Rogaine Foam Question?

Sorry if this is a common question and I just missed while looking. What are everyones experiences with using Rogain foam once a day, versus twice a day. Are the differences large enough to matter? It's very convenient for me to just use at night and was wondering if I was doing myself a disservice by doing so.

I remember reading (on a link from this forum, I'm sure) that the half life of Regaine Foam is 22 hours - so, really it's only after 22 hours the medications effect begin to seriously reduce. I guess, in theory, you could apply it once every 22 hours in that case.

I've been using it once a day for the last 2 -2 1/2 months, and it seems to be doing the same job as if I were applying it twice a day. There's a public consensus among the net that the only reason Regaine "has" to be applied twice a day is to increase the amount you need to buy.

This is all from my own research and experience, mind you, and if someone can debunk this theory I'd happily change my views.

Using it only once a day is better than not using it at all if you need it.

There are a wide range of variables to take in to consideration besides half-life such as absorbed dose, and effective dose. Using just the half life to make a decision as to whether a compound should remain effective isn't really a true evaluation. But hey, if it works for you then may as well keep the once a day treatment.

Senior Member BaldinLikeBaldwin's Avatar

If you're only going to apply it at night I would rate the liquid over the foam..

I would like to start on rogaine foam also. Does anyone have some tips before I start like should I start low and build up to a bigger dosage, and where can I apply it and expect any results in those areas?

Quote Originally Posted by lucrio View Post
    I would like to start on rogaine foam also. Does anyone have some tips before I start like should I start low and build up to a bigger dosage, and where can I apply it and expect any results in those areas?
    Like Tracy said once a day is better than nothing. I started on 1 dose planning to up it to 2 a day, but I got lazy haha.. planning on adding ru anyways. You should work with whatever YOU are comfortable with. If you start on 1 dose and feel no sides go ahead and do 2.

Quote Originally Posted by lucrio View Post
    I would like to start on rogaine foam also. Does anyone have some tips before I start...
    Rogaine is most effective in the vertex and mid-anterior for men. That is where you should use it. Start with Rogaine foam and use it only once a day every other day for a few weeks. Then use it once a day every day for a few more weeks. Then alternate between once a day and twice a day for a few weeks. Then finally use it twice day from then on. Between four and six months after you are up to the full dose, you will know if it is working for you or not because you should start seeing small downly hairs starting to grow. It takes some time but as long as you keep using the medicine those short downly hairs will eventually turn into normal hairs. If you ever decide to stop using Rogaine, taper off of it the same way in reverse.

When used by itself, Rogaine is the least effective of the two FDA approved medications for treating hereditary hair loss in men - because it does not address the hormone that is triggering the loss. Propecia is more effective because it addresses that hormone - but Propecia does not stimulate hair follicles that can still grow hair to start growing hair again. Using both Rogaine and Propecia together provides synergistic benefits. You need to talk to your doctor about Propecia though. If you do decide to give Propecia a try, it is a good idea to taper up to the full dose on that medication as well.

A few other things that can help you. Start using Nizoral shampoo once a week. If you get the non-prescription version (Nizoral A-D), you can use that one up to twice per week. For your regular washing, use only sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. If you can afford a laser comb, give it a try for four months to see if it will help you.

Hey thanks for the tips. Does anyone know if rogaine will have any effect at all towards the hairline or would I be wasting it if I applied it there, or possibly even making my hairline loss worse somehow?

14 months in and my hairline has suffered since applying Minox foam there. Tracy will probably chip in and say I'm most likely using it incorrectly. I haven't been. Anyway it works for some, hasn't for me. it's a chance you take..