+ Reply to Thread

Default My Restoration Journey (Spex & Dr Feller)

I have always had fairly thin hair (from my mother's side) and a high hair line (from my father's side) but until 6 years ago the fact that I had started to recede further was never mentioned by people I know; in fact, even I didn't notice it as it was receding so gradually! However, around 5 years ago, people started commenting on my hair line more frequently, therefore I also become more aware of the situation. This was when I was 27 (I'm now 32).

I have always been extremely confident in my work life and appearance, so when it started dawning on me that I was thinning, I simply shaved my head grade 1 and shrugged it off.

That was 4 and a half years ago. Ever since then the comments on my baldness have increased and ultimately my self confidence has plummeted, so much so that it has cost me a relationship (who always skirted the conversation about my hair, but every now and again slipped up, causing me more anguish and a further drop in confidence).

2 years ago I found a good look by wearing certain hats which went well with the outfits I was wearing, however, I wear suits to the office where hats are out of the question, and in many social environments - restaurants, pubs, bars, etc. hats can be seen as socially unacceptable and I dreaded the moment I would walk in and the bouncer/waiter would ask me to remove my hat.

Around the same time as I started adopting hats, I decided to try and take matters into my own hands by searching for "cures" to my ever increasing baldness. Firstly I tried the Belgravia Centre to look into Minoxidil and laser treatment, who were actually very helpful and informative. Unfortunately I was told that although it would help to thicken and maintain my remaining hair, it would be unable to regrow hair in the follicles which had stopped producing hair; this to me was unacceptable as I wanted to replace the hair at the front of my head, not over-compensate the remaining hair I had.

The next option I tried was with Advanced Hair Studio who I believe, from reading posts in this forum, many of you have already had poor dealings with! The experience for me was dreadful. I was quite excited about going for the consultation as their "strand-by-strand" technique certainly didn't sound like "a wig" on their website.

The salesman there was very forceful and seemed very put out that I wouldn't be parting with ?4,000 there and then (obviously that's when the alarm bells started ringing!), I then read more AHS reviews online and was shocked and appalled at the treatment and service many clients had received. That's when I started to realise just how ruthless the hair treatment industry really is!!

I'd reached a very low ebb by this point as I truly couldn't see a solution to my problem, that was until I found Spex's website and started reading all of your posts in the forums... The information provided has given me a light at the end of the tunnel, and even before booking a consultation, I already felt a huge weight off my shoulders that there actually IS something I can do about my hair loss!

It's been a year now since I decided to do something about my hair and chose which solution would best fit my situation. I have therefore decided to write this step-by-step blog to show you my progress over the coming year.

My current routine is: Regaine 5% twice daily, which I have been using for 6 months, and I will now be adding the following into my routine:

- Nizoral Shampoo every other day.
    - Alpecin Shampoo on alternate days.
    - 1mg Finpecia daily.

From having several conversations with "Spex" (what a great guy!) I have decided to also go for 3,500 - 4,000 strip surgery with Dr Feller. I'm hoping to book this in for either September or November, providing I can get the time off work.

I have also included some pictures... The first two show where I was in May 2011, and the last three show where I am after a few months growth and 6 months of just Minoxodil. I plan to put more photos up once I have been in the routine of Nizoral, Alpecin and Finpecia for a couple of months.

Thanks all and take care for now!

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

Thanks for sharing story. This is a good example of someone doing the proper due diligence and coming up with a strong game plan. I hpoe things go well for you. Dr Feller does very high quality work. Look forward to seeing photos down the road.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    People who get strip surgery are full retard.
    This comment is completely out of line. Shame on you.

WHY would you accept a scar on the back of your head when we have FUE now that can completely avoid all that?
    FUT does not always leave a scar. Gifted surgeons can avoid the scar - or dramatically reduce it.

FUE does leave scarring. It makes a whole bunch of tiny white dots that do not tan.

Seriously, FUE is the future. People should just give up about FUT.
    Um... In this world of hair restoration, you are an inexperienced nobody. It is not your place to give medical advice? Not everyone is a good candidate for FUE. The doctor is the one who has the right and privilege to recommend one or the other.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

I cannot say I agree with you statement. I perform FUE on a regular basis and even have the new ARTAS robotic assisted FUE devise. However, there are some potential negatives with FUE and some patients are actually better candidates for the FUT procedure.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile