+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

I was wondering the same Chuck...it seems like the volume of activity has slowed down since the format here recently changed. I liked the former format much better.

No longer receive email notices when new posts are made on these threads which is a nice feature especially when tracking certain thread topics.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Default Sorry!

Hey Guys. Sorry for the absence. Been a busy summer and I just wanted to take a break from this for a while..... just let things grow. I am at 7 months post beard grafting. I've been playing around with different hair cuts but tempt a 1 guard when the time is right. Tomorrow I am booking my first PDL... pulse dye laser appointment. I have to say, the lower scar's color is much improved. Not sure I'll need that many passes with the laser. I will do 2 to start as I am looking to improve the scars texture anyway. Once that is completed it is on to Trico with Dr Shapiro's group. I would like to do that early December.

I am getting a cut this Saturday. I will have my hairdresser take a few photos to post.

@ sweetpotato. I understand your confusion. Had I been happy with longer hair, I could have stopped after 1 session. I believe I went from a 6 guard to a 4 guard with full coverage. Once you get down to a 2 and 1 guard, you see much more of the scalp and any flaws that exist. I would venture to guess if these individuals who had 80-100 grafts buzzed to a 1 guard, you'd see it. Obviously they were happy with the results they got with one pass and didn't see themselves ever going shorter with a cut. That being the case, why do more.
    It's also about the area needing to be covered. Basic math..... Top scar was 19.5cm x .5cm and bottom was 15.5 x .5cm. that is 17.5 sq. cm. total. Based on my hair density, I would multiply that number by hairs needed per sq. cm to create a consistent blend of density at a short scalp visible cut. I did get a consult from Dr. Umar when I began this and he suggested 1500-1600 grafts would be needed and I think that's pretty much where I am. Hope this helps you and I wish you luck in your journey. If I can help out with any other questions please ask.

again guys, so sorry for the absence.... Pics by Saturday.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by northeastguy View Post
    Once you get down to a 2 and 1 guard, you see much more of the scalp and any flaws that exist. I would venture to guess if these individuals who had 80-100 grafts buzzed to a 1 guard, you'd see it.
    You would see it. You cut hair 1/8" long and every scalp imperfection shows. The degree to which you see the scalp depends upon hair density, lighting and angle. We had a patient in recently with an excellent strip scar. His hair was approximately a #2 guard (1/4") length. You couldn't see the scar when he held his head at certain angles. When his head angle allows looking directly down the hair shafts, the scar became visible.

Actual hair length/clipper guard varies a little among clipper brands.

See guard = inches article.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office - forhair.com - Cole Hair Transplant, 1045 Powers Place, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009 - Phone 678-566-1011 - email 35YrsAfter at chuck@forhair.com
    The contents of my posts are my opinions and not medical advice
    Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Ask for Chuck

Default 7 month post op beard grafting.

Ok, fresh from a haircut. Asked her to do a tighter fade. So photos are showing a 1 guard over the lower scar and a 2 guard over the upper scar. Hair on top is maybe a 3 but that was done to blend into my top hair which is a little longer. In certain lighting I can see a density difference, but that is because I am looking for it. the light area below the lower scar is a result of the "horses tail" Because the scalp was pulled up 3 times, the hair is no longer angled downward. It basically comes straight out. Giving the elusion of decreased density. In reality, that area has the same number of hairs per sq cm than the surrounding area. Just doesn't look that way do to angulation of the hair. This is where the Trico will make all the difference. Using it will fix up that issue no problem. In my case, a little will go a long way. Long and short, photos at month 7 post beard grafting with a 1 and 2 guard....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg

Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	34585   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg

Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	34586   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg

Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	34587  

Hey NE, looks fantastic! I can't believe the difference from when you started. I could never tell you had any strip surgeries. Quick questions:

1. You mentioned you are getting PDL done to get rid of some of the redness. I don't see any redness. Where do you see it? Is it more noticeable in person?

2. Is the redness continuing to go down, or have you noticed that the redness has stayed the same for a while? If so, at what point did the redness stop fading?

3. Do you see a big difference between your pre-beard session and post? It seems your results pre-beard sessions were equally fantastic.

4. How did you get info about trick from Shapiro Clinic? Their website gives no info. It seems you have made the decision to go with them. What did they tell you that convinced you to go with them?

Sorry for all the questions. I greatly appreciate your input. Thanks

Looks excellent..................I think you are pushing it with the ink.............but good luck.

Looks much better Northeastguy. Well done!

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Long and short, photos at month 7 post beard grafting with a 1 and 2 guard....
    Not sure if Dr. Cole has any stats on a final result timeline for beard hair. Speaking with patients, it seems to take longer than scalp hair. One patient told me 14 months, another told me 2 years.

Anyway, there should be a lot more growth to come.

Chuck

Ok, fresh from a haircut. Asked her to do a tighter fade. So photos are showing a 1 guard over the lower scar and a 2 guard over the upper scar. Hair on top is maybe a 3 but that was done to blend into my top hair which is a little longer. In certain lighting I can see a density difference, but that is because I am looking for it. the light area below the lower scar is a result of the "horses tail" Because the scalp was pulled up 3 times, the hair is no longer angled downward. It basically comes straight out. Giving the elusion of decreased density. In reality, that area has the same number of hairs per sq cm than the surrounding area. Just doesn't look that way do to angulation of the hair. This is where the Trico will make all the difference. Using it will fix up that issue no problem. In my case, a little will go a long way. Long and short, photos at month 7 post beard grafting with a 1 and 2 guard....
    hi NE guy, your scars look certainly undetectable to someone who doesn't know what to look for.

I have a strip scar, and im curious about what you mentioned above^^^

how many strips does it take to create the horses tail effect?

I see many people with only one strip surgery not have the horses tail effect.

does this flaw only apply to those who have had multiple strips from back in the day.? or is it more of a random occurrence.

thanks in advance.

Default Laser post 1 pass.

Thanks all...

@ Chicago... the redness might look more obvious in person. I will say it seems to get better and better as time when on. Also, the shorter I go with my hair, the more I feel it can be seen. As far as a difference with beard, its hard to tell, its also very early and hoping I get a big growth over the next couple months. I knew Shapiro's group was doing SMP and more importantly Trico which is the temporary. it is the ONLY form of smp I would utilize. I contacted them and began communicating with the girl who does it for them. Second important factor for me is experience, and she has it. Its a good combo for me.

@ hairlosskills... I don't have an answer to that question. I will say I am sure it has a lot to do with the surgeon's skill and amount of procedures. In my case, the lower scar was caused by 3 procedures and done by Peter J, Embriano. He was an optometrist gone HT surgeon so obviously lacking in the closure department. I don't know how much exposure an Optometrist gets closing wombs. My upper scar was done by Bernstein. He did 2 passes and there is no sign of a horses tail from his work. He is a dermatologist. Hope that helps.

Yesterday I did my first pass with Laser. On the table for 2 passes. So I did end up trimming down to a 0 guard over the lower scar..... doesn't get much closer that this...

Photos include 1 pre photo with a 0 guard and 3 post procedures....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0guard pre laser.jpg

Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	34720   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg

Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	34721   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg

Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	34722   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg

Size:	108.7 KB