+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid View

Hey Northeastguy, looking good man. How is the growth coming? What did you take before the surgery again to help? Is your lower scar improving? Is the upper one pink? I really think that the scars will be difficult to make out at your current length at the end of this and it seems that they were placed in a perfect angle...Anyway man hope all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by northeastguy View Post

I also had an interest in using PRP and Acell to increase the survival rate of the grafts.

From 1993 to 2000 I had 5 total strip procedures leaving me with 2 large scars on the back of my head. Top scar was 19.5cm x .5cm and bottom was 15.5 x .5cm.
    Hey northeastguy,
    unfortunately, I have a similar story to report ...

http://www.fileden.com/files/2012/3/...ip-Scars-1.jpg

The only differences are

- that I started with FUT procedures 2 years earlier than you;
    - having 1 scar more than you;
    - and at least 2 scars of them are -interestingly- not as wide than your scars - but still wide enough for being "just pencil thin scars".

Anyway, 3 days ago I have started (experimental) to fill them up with at least 10 test grafts into the fattest scar (visible in the photo on the left side, buttom scar). Even if these grafts grow indeed in the scar, and even if I would fill the scar up completely (~35-40 grafts/cm² or so), I doubt that the scars will be "undetectable" when I wear the hair very very short as I wear it now.
    The problem is, I think, that as soon as I get a scar, my scars are always almost WHITE like snow.

So the only way I can see to fix such scars safely, is to fill them up with normal scalp hair (as tested now with 10 scalp hair grafts) and tattooing them thereafter - or doing nothing and wear my hair always long enough until I die. On the other hand, until recently, I have never ever shaved my whole head, but in the meanwhile, I've just start liking my new style ...

So, what?

Man that looks great, I think your off on the grades though, that looks like a 3 grade or lower! Honestly, if your color is good I think after next time you can get down to a zero if you wanted, but I know you don't care about that so I'd say your definitely gonna get what you want man, I saw a little space but the linear line is long gone brother, congrats. What percentage does Dr. Cole think you have growing at the moment? Cause if you got only like 60 percent, you may be fixed without a second session man, anyway, great stuff, keep us in the loop.

Default scar grafting

Ne Guy,

Congrats on all your progress. I am going to see Dr. Cole next moth about grafting my scar. Your case has given me hope. If you dont mind I had a couple of questions for you:

1)Were your scars completely flat or a bit raised?

2)How wide were your scars like how many millimeters?

3) Can you get to a 3 clip without it being noticeable?

Again thank you and I appreciate you sharing your story

Hey Jet...... Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing how things look come October. Go to the first posting I made when I started this thread. I believe it has all my scar details. For the most part, my scars were 5mm wide. The top scar was pretty flat. the Bottom was slightly raised.....only on certain parts. We hit that area with a steroid injection in May and I have to say it made a difference. I'll have him hit the raised areas again next time I see him if its not to do any more grafting.
    I tried going to a Number 3 clip once and my stylist said it looked good. However, I know what to look for and felt I was pushing it a bit.... I stick with a 4 right now. The photos on this page show me prior to anything at a 2 guard, then 11 months post 1 procedure at a 2 guard.
    Be patient with this process. you will need at least 2 passes if your plan is to get down to a 1-2 or maybe 3 guard if your scars are as wide as mine were. Someone who is only dealing with a 2 mm wide scar is far more likely to reach that goal with one pass. Still, 2 is recommended. Trust me, 4 guard is a far better and cleaner look than a 6 guard that I was stuck with. Goal in October is to play around with a 2-3 guard.
    My advise is to cut your hair down to your goal length the day of your procedure. it gives a clear goal and great before photos. your going to be shaven down after that anyway so why not.....unless you do the unshaven method then your going to need to keep it long.

For me my next pass my plan is to buzz my head with a 1 guard and have him hit all the decreased density areas and simply blend the scars and entire area with single hair beard grafts. I don't know how many it will take but I don't think many. Beard hair has a larger diameter than scalp hair so you actually get better coverage. I also need to address the "horses tail" effect I have from my bottom scar. there is a row of hairs that are actually growing upward...ya sucks. I didn't factor that into my original goals but I'm looking for near perfection so I may need to address it somehow. I'll be reaching out to him soon to start that dialogue.

sorry for the long post....

Get some photo's up here if you don't mind.... would love to get a look.

Default scars

Thanks for responding. I am all about the patience part and understand it may take 2 or 3 passes. I just hope it works on me. I kinda feel like its a bit of luck whether or not you can get hairs to grow out of your scars. I really hope I can.

My scar is mostly 5mm but as much as 7mm in some spots. Im almost flat all the way around and went from red to pink.

I have done 2 rounds of cortisone shots. Planning 2 more and the vbeam pulse dye laser. The derma place here in seattle has these guards to protect the laser from hitting the hairs around the scar and even have a buddy coming with to make sure they don't!

This crap is a nightmare. At least since my last surgery.

I never realized how being bald is not a big deal at all!!! Now I am having surgery to become bald.

Shoot I think I would look good bald.

Choices we make.......!

Anyway of talked to Dr Cole and hes been very cool to me. Im excited to flatten the rest of this damn scar and get process started.

Doctor Representative 35YrsAfter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan11 View Post
    Thanks for responding. I am all about the patience part and understand it may take 2 or 3 passes. I just hope it works on me. I kinda feel like its a bit of luck whether or not you can get hairs to grow out of your scars. I really hope I can.

My scar is mostly 5mm but as much as 7mm in some spots. Im almost flat all the way around and went from red to pink.

I have done 2 rounds of cortisone shots. Planning 2 more and the vbeam pulse dye laser. The derma place here in seattle has these guards to protect the laser from hitting the hairs around the scar and even have a buddy coming with to make sure they don't!

This crap is a nightmare. At least since my last surgery.

I never realized how being bald is not a big deal at all!!! Now I am having surgery to become bald.

Shoot I think I would look good bald.

Choices we make.......!

Anyway of talked to Dr Cole and hes been very cool to me. Im excited to flatten the rest of this damn scar and get process started.
    Jetfan11:
    Looking forward to meeting you when you come in. Scars can be frustrating to live with. I have quite a few myself. Gradually getting them fixed. I have the round shotgun scars scattered all over my donor. Strip scars are at least a straight shot, isolated to one area in the case of a single strip scar. Hair does grow in scars. I have seen the worst of donor hair in my case continue to grow in my scars. The worst of donor hair being leg and arm hair. The leg hair for me seems to grow better in the scars than it did on top of my head. That was before ACell, PRP and ATP were used.

35YrsAfter also posts as CITNews and works at Dr. Cole's office
    Cole Hair Transplant
    1070 Powers Place
    Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
    Phone 678-566-1011
    Last edited by 35YrsAfter; 02-23-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Default scar grafting

35years,

I am looking forward to coming in as well!

Question. How flat do the scars have to be in order for grafts to take? I am getting there but def not entirely flat.

Dr Cole did an excellent job on me but his staff had much to desire. I was pressured into having body hair, one tech asked embarrassing questions, another little girl seemed like she was not trained as well as some others but the cake was the man I paid. He was unpleasant, unsmiling and got a serious attitude from him. His staff let me down and I would have second thoughts about going there, besides the "house" for lack of a better word was small, cramped and really not suited to do medical procedures......having said that Cole himself did impressive work so go knowing some of the pitfalls. Oh, and Cole charged me $2800 for body hair grafts and none grew in which I was not told in advance. There was in my case some pressure to have as much work done as possible.

Cole would not be for everyone and he never offered, I did not expect, to repay me for the failed body hair grafts he did NOT tell me do not grow....Glad the NEGuy had a good experience....it just is not a classy operation.