+ Reply to Thread

Default DHT blockers after surgery???

Hi all,

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Do you need to continue taking a DHT blocker once you have had a hair transplant? And if not then why does the DHT not attack the new follicles?

Hope someone can help me out here.

Many thanks

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andyman79 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a question that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Do you need to continue taking a DHT blocker once you have had a hair transplant? And if not then why does the DHT not attack the new follicles?

Hope someone can help me out here.

Many thanks

Andy
    Hi Andyman,

If you have any exisitng natural hair subject to DHT, then yes it is highly recommended that you continue Propecia, the most effective hairloss medication available by doctor's prescription. Propecia is 1mg finasteride daily, and claasified as a specific hormone inhibitor.

Remember, the donor hair being transplanted is typically taken from an area at the back of your scalp known as the occipital region. An extremely high percent of those hair follicles are DHT resistant and why Propecia is not needed for that hair. It is terminal hair.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

If you are looking to prevent any further hair loss than I recommend starting and/or continuing taking Propecia. It is the most successful medication available for the prevention of MPB (Male Pattern Baldness). If you are considering hair transplantation it would make sense to try everything possible to not let the current hair loss situation get worse. In patients that have the gene for Androgenetic Alopecia (MPB) the follicles in the balding areas have a receptor that the DHT molecules binds to. ( Similar to a key/DHT molecule fitting perfectly into a lock/ DHT receptor ) This essentially kills the hair follicle. It has been proven that even in patients with severe Male Pattern Baldness the hair follicles in the donor/Occipital region do not have the DHT receptors. Therefore, you can move the donor follicles to another area and they are not effected by elevated DHT levels.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

If you don't have severe balding, would you be able to fill in enough DHT resistant hair follicles to quit taking finasteride?

How old are you mate? I was not losing so fast at the age of 26 and 27 and u sound like me back then in that u dnt seem to want to take propecia.

Unfortunatly you have to be this on b*llshit medication if u have a ht, trust me I found the hard way and I still hate the fact that I'm taking it. Unless you've just started losing at the age of 40 dnt even waste ur time thinking u can do this without medication

Quote Originally Posted by crummygenetics View Post
    If you don't have severe balding, would you be able to fill in enough DHT resistant hair follicles to quit taking finasteride?

crummygenetics,

That depends on the extent of MPB in your genetic makeup. Only a very small percent of men with MPB have it mild. For most of us, it contnues to progress with hairloss throughout our lives. I do know of some guys getting by without using Propecia, but thay are far and few between. Their family history with MPB is the same. The men have minimal loss, mild recession.

Most men will progressively lose more than their donor supplies can replace and why staying on Propecia or some other form of finasteride like cutting Proscar is so critical.

There is no question I would have ended up a true Norwood class 6 had I not started taking finasteride in 1996.

Present day I sport a pretty good restored look with a thinning crown. It took nearly 7,000 strip grafts to get me to that point. Had I stopped taking finasteride, I would have needed far more grafts to achieve the same look.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin