+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Hair loss gene to aggressive for big 3?

Hello I have been using Propecia for nearly 6 months now along with Nizorol and Kirkland Minox. Some days I think my hair has improved some days I think it is worse than ever.

Im 25 and have diffuse thinning on the top and crown NW6 pattern! my farther was bald aged 27 and he is now NW7! My mothers side have thick heads of hair.

I believe I caught my hairloss quite early I have no bald patches and no one can notice my hairloss as its so short all the time.

My main worry is that my hairloss gene is to aggressive which will mean none of the hairloss medications will work. And I will be NW6 in the next year or so

has anybody got any success storys or feedback on this situation I would be very grateful

Hey there Harris. All I can offer is that Propecia can take longer than 6 months to work and you still might see benefit from taking it. Hang in there and don't lose all hope. It's possible you've experienced a shed from using the medication which has made things worse. If I were you I'd give it another 6 months before judging it a failure.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Thank you for your reply but do you think I have no hope or are there people in a similar situation to me who do see benefits?

Yes, definitely. People with a NW6 pattern developing can see big improvement from Propecia. Nothing is certain, but it definitely occurs. You aren't completely alone.
    I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal

My FUE With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Harris View Post
    My main worry is that my hairloss gene is to aggressive which will mean none of the hairloss medications will work. And I will be NW6 in the next year or so
    At only six months it is much to soon to tell.

It generally takes a full twelve months before you will know if Propecia has been able to arrest your hair loss. It takes longer before you will know if you are growing any of your lost hair back.

It takes four to six months before you will know if Minoxidil is stimulating hair that can grow back to grow back. At the four to six month point, hair that has started to grow back is very downy and hard to see. If you are a diffuse thinner this regrowth may be even more difficult to see. Over time and hair cycles this small downy hair transforms into normal hair. This generally takes between twelve and eighteen months to become cosmetically significant.

Stick with it and give it reasonable time. It will be quite a while yet before you know the answer. Treating hereditary hair loss is a painfully slow process.

IAHRS Recommended Hair Transplant Surgeon Dr. Glenn Charles's Avatar

At least you started early which will give you a better chance of having the Propecia be successful in slowing down or stopping the hair loss process.
    Dr. Glenn Charles
    Member, International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons
    View my IAHRS Profile

Thank you all for help and opinions you have given me a little bit of hope. my hair is at the point where its not noticeable balding (because i have it so short) but if the thinning continues it will be im sure everything will be ok. I will keep you posted

Hi its been a month since I last posted and my hair has continued to thin, never seen it so bad I have lost a lot of hair in the last few days is this normal to still see thinning after six months?? like I said it seemed to get better for two weeks before this shed and now looks terrible and advice?

Harris, I'm getting the same just past the 7 months mark (on Propecia, without minox). I know the feeling. The advice is keep going with medications, but I know as much as you do how much more difficult that is in theory than practice.

Yes Kirby I know what you mean, its really hard when you can see that your hair is getting worse and worse! other people I see on forums who are in the same position just stop writing so we never know what happens, have they stopped because they are bald and it didn't work in the end or have they stopped because they manged to save their and so don't think about sitting on forums all day!
    Personaly I will keep going until I am bald with the medication I saw that Spencer once knew someone that didn't respond to Propecia until the 15 month mark! just keep going with it and hopefully we can see benefits (that's what i tell myself anyway)!
    The other thing I don't understand is that some people say that Propecia wont respond to people that have strong hair loss gene but people do better in twenties I imagine that most people in their twenties have a strong hairloss gene?