+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Saw Palmetto verses Propecia

I stopped taking Propecia because of the side effects and started taking Saw Palmetto. I have only been taking SP for two months so it is too early to see any results. I have several questions so anyone who wants to jump in please do so.

Does anyone think Saw Palmetto is effective in maintaining hair and stopping hair loss?

I was under the impression that there would be no side effects from taking Saw Palmetto but darn it, I think I am experiencing the same effect that I got with Propecia although not a severe.

Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Glawre View Post
    Does anyone think Saw Palmetto is effective in maintaining hair and stopping hair loss?
    There is no good quality evidence that Saw Palmetto is helpful in treating hereditary MPB in any meaningful way.

I was under the impression that there would be no side effects from taking Saw Palmetto but darn it, I think I am experiencing the same effect that I got with Propecia although not a severe.
    If any other remedy (herbal or medicinal) actually could be helpful in treating hereditary MPB in any meaningful way, it would likely have a similar side effect profile as Finasteride.

I stopped taking Propecia because of the side effects and started taking Saw Palmetto. I have only been taking SP for two months so it is too early to see any results. I have several questions so anyone who wants to jump in please do so.

Thanks for the feedback
    saw palmetto can be effective depending on the dosage and supplemnet brand you are taking.

the fact that you started straight away after dropping fin means you dont know if the sides are still the result of fin or saw palmetto, it takes some time for your hormonal balance to brestored after getting off fin.

Quote Originally Posted by gutted View Post
    saw palmetto can be effective depending on the dosage and supplemnet brand you are taking.
    There is no good legitimate evidence to support that.

I failed to mention that I had been off of propecia for 6 months before I started with SP. I was side effect free when I started SP. It does make sence to me that if I am getting side effects from SP then it may be effecting my DHT levels the way Propecia did. Also interesting is that my side effects are not as bad on SP as they were on Propecia so maby the effect on DHT, if any, will be reletive to the side effects. I am just thinking. I am also wondering if I take the SP and a very low dose of Propecia, one tablet a week if this will be effective. It is a shame that I experienced side effects with Propecia as it made a visible difference. I have a long running experience with Propecia as I first started using it 10 years ago. I keep thinking I will get over the side effects but end up coming off of the drug. I have altered the dose from every other day, half a pill every day and half a pill every other day. I do not beleive the claim by Merck that less than 2% of men experience side effects because as a man in my 50's I have known several others who tried the drug and they all had to stop.

Thanks, Gary

Saw Palmetto does cause the same sexual side affects as Propecia. Kobren talks about that all the time on The Bald Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    There is no good legitimate evidence to support that.
    yes i agree i forgot to put that disclaimer in the post.

I failed to mention that I had been off of propecia for 6 months before I started with SP. I was side effect free when I started SP. It does make sence to me that if I am getting side effects from SP then it may be effecting my DHT levels the way Propecia did. Also interesting is that my side effects are not as bad on SP as they were on Propecia so maby the effect on DHT, if any, will be reletive to the side effects. I am just thinking. I am also wondering if I take the SP and a very low dose of Propecia, one tablet a week if this will be effective. It is a shame that I experienced side effects with Propecia as it made a visible difference. I have a long running experience with Propecia as I first started using it 10 years ago. I keep thinking I will get over the side effects but end up coming off of the drug. I have altered the dose from every other day, half a pill every day and half a pill every other day. I do not beleive the claim by Merck that less than 2% of men experience side effects because as a man in my 50's I have known several others who tried the drug and they all had to stop.

Thanks, Gary
    whcih brand of saw palmetto are you using?

Will have to get back to you. Not at home to look at the bottle.

Do we think SP works? I know there is not a clinical trial associated with is't effectiveness on lowering DHT.