+ Reply to Thread

Default Would you really want your hair back?

Okay let me rephrase:

You've had a bald style for say...5 years. You've done nothing to hide it, cover it up or otherwise diminish the fact you're losing it. You've embraced it you could say. It is now how people see you and expect to see you. Everyone elses shock is long gone and those that mattered blinked, but ended up not caring as they rightly should. Hopefully those that didn't matter are gone from your life.

If you were guaranteed your hair back - would you take it?

I know some of you will not hesitate to say "yes" - but you're also going through loss and have not actually lost a significant majority AND you're likely doing something to try to stop it. Of course you would say yes, your non-hair loss image is still fresh in your mind. In my life right now, I'm definitely in this camp....but in 5 years?

I guess this is a question of the passage of time and more importantly the totality of the loss and is really a question none of us can honestly answer but I'm curious what people think.

Going from NW7 to NW1 after many years of being a 7 would be uber-weird. Jason Alexander looks fine with the piece, but it also looks...weird. Its him, but its not.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    Okay let me rephrase:

You've had a bald style for say...5 years. You've done nothing to hide it, cover it up or otherwise diminish the fact you're losing it. You've embraced it you could say. It is now how people see you and expect to see you. Everyone elses shock is long gone and those that mattered blinked, but ended up not caring as they rightly should. Hopefully those that didn't matter are gone from your life.

If you were guaranteed your hair back - would you take it?

I know some of you will not hesitate to say "yes" - but you're also going through loss and have not actually lost a significant majority AND you're likely doing something to try to stop it. Of course you would say yes, your non-hair loss image is still fresh in your mind. In my life right now, I'm definitely in this camp....but in 5 years?

I guess this is a question of the passage of time and more importantly the totality of the loss and is really a question none of us can honestly answer but I'm curious what people think.

Going from NW7 to NW1 after many years of being a 7 would be uber-weird. Jason Alexander looks fine with the piece, but it also looks...weird. Its him, but its not.
    I've always wondered this. Most guys who have been bald for a while, that's just 'who they are'. No-one cares or says anything to them about it and hell some guys might actually grow to not mind being bald or even prefer it!!!

There are 3 guys who I work with all in mid 30s who are nw7 completely shaved (i understand they lost most of their hair in their late teens early 20s), they don't show any signs that they care about their hairloss and to them being bald is probably just like a hair style, like having long hair or emo fringe...its just their ''hairstyle''. 2 of these guys have wives and kids and well paying jobs and the other is pulling women pretty much every week and is uber confident and funny.

I think they would look weird with hair, in the same way that people with thick long hair would look bald.

I think learning to laugh at your hairloss helps, people will take the mick less if they know nothing they say will wind you up.

HOWEVER, at this moment, I'd prefer to be a dense nw1 than slick bald!! But now it is what it is for me, I have to accept that, I'm doing as much as I'm prepared to do to keep my hair and I should be thankful that we still have some options unlike my dad.

I'll admit, I haven't been shaving for too, too long, but I do shave my head. I've become entirely okay with it. I do nothing to treat hairloss except use Nizoral, which at this point is more to control scalp oil (I'm not into the shine, more of a matte guy). People know me for my shaved head. I have met many people since starting that don't know me any other way.

But despite that, given the choice, yes, I would definitely get my hair back. I think some people have the idea that it would be weird because they are still ashamed of hairloss. They feel like it would be embarrassing to explain why they didn't have hair before, and now they do. It's admitting that you're bothered by hairloss. It's talking about hairloss in general, which is a sensitive topic for a lot of guys. I don't see it that way. If I got my hairback, and someone asked me about it, I'd just tell them about whatever treatment that fixed my hair. Or perhaps if it was a lady asking, I'd tell her that I had found a genie and my first wish was for my hair back. Then I'd wink a few times and ask if she wanted to find out what else I wished for (obviously implying that I now have a huge ****).

I don't mind being sly (is that a well known term?), but yeah, I'd definitely take my hair back. I don't mind this look, but I preferred that one. I do not think the transition would be weird for me or anyone if hairloss is something you can think of rationally as a condition and not as a reason for shame.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBelievingIt View Post
    Jason Alexander looks fine with the piece, but it also looks...weird. Its him, but its not.
    I'd like to add to this that obviously if he continues to wear the piece eventually it will become who he is and we'll "forget" what he looked like before.

Default Of course i would!!

I have been losing my hair since age 20. I'm now 36. I am now on the Norwood 5 Norwood 6 borderline. I don't shave my head. I don't wear a hair piece, or cover up in any way. However, the answer is yes!!!!

Not only is the answer yes, but if I could have back a full head of hair tomorrow, I would empty my saving account without blinking an eye!! Probably even dip into my pension.

I haven't stopped obsessing about hair since I noticed my hair line receding in 1996.

As for what people think. Who cares what they think?? I care what I think, and how I feel about me!! When I look in the mirror every day.

Of course I would want all my hair back. Most guys would. I asked my bald grandfather at 87 years old if he would want his hair back if he could have it right now. He said "OF COURSE!!"

Default To Each His Own

Okay. To each his own. You all go on and have fun being bald. I will take the embarrassment of explaining why my hair is back any day!! No problem man. Just give me that magic pill thats gonna make me a norwood zero. I will swallow it with no hesitation at all.

Very interesting. I've often thought about this. I'm in no rush to do anything permanent myself just yet so that should stand me in good stead.

Mpb is a horrible transition phase of losing your identity in your own mind. I always think it's balding that sucks, not being bald. Definitely see where you're coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianf View Post
    I have been losing my hair since age 20. I'm now 36. I am now on the Norwood 5 Norwood 6 borderline.
    Nowadays that's not too bad a place to be at for HT. Norwood 5 and a full blown 6 is a big difference. High lateral humps and not too great a dip in the crown can actually set you up for a great restoration if you really commit. Sounds like you have the option to go the surgical route if you so wish.