+ Reply to Thread

Default Scalp itching after using Nizoral...

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could offer me some advice for my scalp in general. For the last few months since I noticed I was thinning in my crown, I have been using Nizoral shampoo a couple of times a week as well as Alpecin shampoo.

I'm not so much looking for hair loss advice here as I've received it in the past and know what my options are (thanks to this site).

I have always suffered from dandruff so when I initially noticed my hair loss beginning, the thought crossed my mind that my general scalp health might be to blame. That's when I came across Nizoral and realized it was also recommended to aid against hair loss, so obviously it was just what I needed.

I've been using Nizoral for about 4 months now and I think it's definitely had a positive effect on stopping my dandruff, and I also appear to have stopped much further hair loss. (That could be the Nizoral or could just be nature). I now just have a small area of thinning in my crown that I'm pretty comfortable with so I haven't bothered with minox or fin at this point i.e. haven't bothered trying to regrow this hair.

Anyway, to the point...

Although I'm at this point now... largely no dandruff and halted hair loss... my scalp doesn't feel quite right. It can feel a bit dry and itchy and thus some flakiness can return.

I know that using Nizoral too much can actually dry out the scalp so I've always followed the recommended use, however when it came to using Nizoral less often i.e. once a week, I could feel a build up on my scalp so felt like I needed to use it more often.

Now, I think at just one particular point in time when applying Nizoral, I did apply quite a bit dollop i.e. too much, and it's since then that my scalp has continuously felt a bit dry.

I make sure to not use Nizoral too often now and only apply a very small amount when I do use it, but I'm sort of in a catch 22 situation now:

If I don't use the Nizoral I get build up on my scalp, but when I do use Nizoral (which inititially gets rid of this build up nicely) it in turn dries out my scalp and causes a build up of its own. I'm finding it hard to get the right balance and it seems that since that one incidence of applying too much Nizoral one time, my scalp hasn't stabilized.

I don't wash my hair every day but on times that I don't use Nizoral, I use the Alpecin. I know that achieves nothing in terms of preventing hair loss but I just use it as a regular shampoo as it's also antidandruff.

I know this is a bit of a ramble so I guess I'm just looking for some advice on improving my scalp in general.

Do you think it's the Nizoral causing the scalp dryness, or may be the Alpecin?

Do you think may be using a sulphate free shampoo (which I know TracyC suggests) instead of the Alpecin would relieve this itching? Maybe it's the sulphates drying my scalp and the Nizoral isn't to blame?

I guess the only way I can find out is by trying but just thought I'd see what people on here say in general.

Sorry for the ramble but thank you for your time and I appreciate any replies.

Thanks a lot.

It sounds like you certainly should use Nizoral - but only once per week. For the rest of the week, particularly when your hair loaded up with styling product, you should be using a good quality basic sulfate free shampoo. It is also a good idea to use a good quality basic conditioner, again sulfate free. Alpecin is not a good choice. Alpecin is just a waste of money. Just basic good quality sulfate free shampoo and conditioner is a much better choice.

Shampoos with sulfates are just generally more aggressive cleaners (better surfactants), and thus could be drying your scalp. That said, I'd almost guarantee it's the Nizoral. I'm a proponent of using Nizoral as many times a week as you can get away with without drying your scalp out. If that's every other day, go for it. If that's once a week, so be it. Now, I bet Tracy is gonna be on my case for recommending off label usage, and that's entirely responsible. A lot of the time, it's sound advice. But every scalp is different, and I'm gonna have to disagree here. From my understanding of the mechanisms of Niz, you should be using it as much as you can before it starts to damage your scalp, which will be a different point for everyone.

Sounds like you need to back off a little on your current regimen and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey Jones View Post
    Now, I bet Tracy is gonna be on my case for recommending off label usage...
    No. I agree to some extent. If a person pays attention to their body, use it as much as they feel they can get away with. In general though, once or twice per week is more than enough. Using it too often can not only dry out your hair and scalp but it can also make your hair loss worsen. So one needs to use their head and pay attention to their scalp. It also depends on which version of Nizoral the person is using. For example; I use the 1% version twice per week. If I was using the 2% version, I would be using it less often.

Nizoral is covered on this page on treating women's hair loss from the American Hair Loss Association. It is the seventh medication down. I use Minoxidil, Spiro and Nizoral 1%.

http://www.americanhairloss.org/wome.../treatment.asp

Thank you both for the replies.

Aside from maybe using Nizoral too much for my scalp at one point, I was inclined to think that it is the Alpecin that's causing the dryness and itchiness.

I guess I was kind of looking for confirmation of that.

I learned that Alpecin was useless for hair loss but figured I'd just finish off the bottle. I have been hesitant to use a sulfate free shampoo because (aside from just not getting my act together and buying some) I figured that because I couldn't find one that was marked as anti-dandruff that it would aggravate my dandruff more. But I guess I'm missing the point on that, and with it being sulfate free it shouldn't cause any problems.

So would you confirm that it's quite possible that it is the Alpecin causing the dryness and itching, and using a sulfate free shampoo instead the majority of the time should relieve the itching?

And that using the Nizoral just once a week (may be more if I can handle it) will be enough to keep the dandruff at bay?

Thanks a lot for the help.

when i was using niz 2% i noticed this itch too, bear in mind i was only using it one per week too!

overuse of niz can shrink the seb glands too much, causing hair loss.

Quote Originally Posted by mathmoose View Post
    But I guess I'm missing the point on that, and with it being sulfate free it shouldn't cause any problems.
    That is a correct guess.

Yes it is possible that Alpecin is causing the problem. The only way to find out is to stop using Alpecin for a while.

get on regenepure. 100 times better shampoo than nizoral.
    it contains keteconazole aswell but doesnt dry your scalp.
    also it doesnt contain sodium lauryl sulfate wich is a cheap foaming agent used in shampoos including nizoral wich is actually an inflammatory. instead regenepure uses aloe vera wich is an antianflammatory.

its pretty expensive but i think its worth it

Quote Originally Posted by friezy View Post
    also it doesnt contain sodium lauryl sulfate wich is a cheap foaming agent used in shampoos including nizoral wich is actually an inflammatory. instead regenepure uses aloe vera wich is an antianflammatory.

its pretty expensive but i think its worth it
    Thanks, but it doesn't say what percentage of keteconazole is in the bottle. Do you know since you are using it?

Quote Originally Posted by friezy View Post
    Cannot justify the price without knowing how much Ketoconazole is in it. It probably has 1% or less since a script is needed to get 2% in the States. Anyways, since Nizoral should only be used once or twice per week, the amount of sulfate exposure from using it once or twice per week is insignificant.