+ Reply to Thread

Default Can you guys predict my hair growth from the post-op follicles

It's been nearly two months since my FUT operation with Dr. Ricardo Mejia in South Florida and I think I am balder now than when I went into the operation as a Norwood 4.

And part of me is getting a little paranoid as to whether or not all the follicles he transplanted are going to stay put because I remained somewhat active immediately after the operation due to circumstances I could not control like court dates and interviews where I wore a hat.

Immediately after the operation, I was told by my hair dresser and another HT patient who had gone to another doctor years ago that Dr. Mejia did a great job because he created a very natural, asymmetrical hairline.

But now I've been reading some horror stories on this site about how sometimes the transplants don't gel or end up not growing.

I made the mistake of laying by the pool a few weeks after the operation before reading here that I should not have done that.

I also washed my hair four days after the operation instead of five as I later realized Dr. Mejia told me in the information he gave me (and I've been reading here that one should go even longer without washing).

So I'm wondering if I somehow screwed it all up.

I've attached photos from immediately after the operation to two days after the operation to five days after the operation in the hopes that you guys can tell me what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Carlos Miller's Hair Transplant - Post Op (15 of 15).jpg

Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	15539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Courtroom.jpg

Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	15540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hair Transplant day five.jpg

Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	15541  

The grafts are usually pretty well anchored in after 5 days or so, so it is unlikely that you screwed yourself up, and while it’s not great to get any sun on the area for a while, it’s unlikely that it will inhibit the growth of the grafts.

I haven't heard too much about this doctor and there are a few really well known and respected docs in South Florida. You can always go to another doctor for a second opinion and to take a look at this doctors work.

Did he inform you about shock loss before you had the procedure? Many times this hair will grow back but in some cases it does not so you should have been informed about that. Do you have any recent pictures?

You wil most likely be fine, but if you are worried you should get an expert opinion from another doctor.

That's going to look really good about eighteen months from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy C View Post
    That's going to look really good about eighteen months from now.
    Well, that's reassuring but damn, that's a long time. I can't wait.

Carlos, my guess is that you sustained some shockloss to the native hair in the frontal forelock. Very normal. Give it time.
    "Gillenator"
    Independent Patient Advocate
    more.hair@verizon.net

NOTE: I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice nor are they the opinions of the following endorsing physicians: Dr. Bob True & Dr. Bob Dorin

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosMiller View Post
    Well, that's reassuring but dang, that's a long time. I can't wait.
    Well, you don't have a choice but to wait. It takes as long as it takes - and that's about how long it takes. The waiting is the hardest part. Some people will see their final result a little sooner - but eighteen months is reasonably realistic for most. You will be able to see a lot of filling in at six months. You will see even more filling in at twelve months. Also at twelve months, any shock loss you may have experienced that can resolve will have largely resolved by then. At eighteen months everything should be resolved for the most part. I do recommend getting a laser comb and using it every other day to help your hair look better sooner. It won't speed up resolution but it will improve the quality of the hair that you have as well as the hair that grows back.